Band discussion!

Dec 2, 2012
When the Band plays, when the Cheerleaders & Gold Rush Dancers go out on the court, and all the promotions are all scheduled before the game yes.... usually at the Under 16, Under 12, Under 8, Under 4 timeouts... etc.

But you also have to factor when coaches call time outs & such. And you don't think Ryan called the shots on what songs the band played & when? HA!

I used to sit in the Rowdy section for my years as a student at VCU.... and whenever we forced the other team to call a timeout.... if it was the Peppas turn to play... He most certainly picked a song to get the crowd pumped..... Where as if we were forced to call a timeout because our opponent went on a big run.... he usually got the peppas to play one of their other songs. Ryan knew when to play certain songs and when not to.

Playing the War song, after our opponent goes on a 10-0 makes absolutely no sense.... cause clearly they do wanna go to war with us if they go on a 10-0 run. And, yet I've heard our current band director play the War song right after a run by our opponent.... again. It makes no sense.

Athletics may tell the Peppas when to play.... but they don't tell them what songs to play. That is determined by the Band Director. The only thing Athletics may say is what songs not to play.... for example "F*** You" by Cee-Lo Green. I'm sure we all remember that situation lol.

So yes... Ryan did call "audibles of sorts" both when we were in the CAA only on TV a couple times of year.... and when we joined the A10 when we were on all the time.
Still waiting on a video showing this.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Ryan was a double edged sword. He brought spontaneity, enthusiasm and innovation. Sometimes his stuff wouldn’t work, but other times it was brilliant. Requiem, Like a Wrecking Ball, and Rain in Africa are cases in point. The band could be flat or not sound tight at times, but the high notes made up for it. I think we were the first non HBCU school to use the You Don’t Wanna Go to War.

But the male stripper persona was cheap, tawdry and frankly insulting to everyone in attendance.

The band is more consistent now, tighter and sounds better. It is a trade off. Perhaps not as energetic, or as spontaneous and not as irreverent, but it sounds better.

Reactions: connell

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Still waiting on a video showing this.
so you’re one of those guys huh? If there’s no video proof.... it didn’t happen.

If you’ve ever sat near the band at the STU, CAA Tourney or A10 tourney when Ryan was in charge, you wouldn’t need a dang video. HE11, you didnt even have to sit near them to notice it most of the time.

But how bout you ask Any of the guys on this board that played under Ryan, or why not ask Ryan yourself?

also, where would I find video of this specific request? Like Athletics, had nothing better to do than do play by play on the peppas.... cause clearly under Ryan it was the only thing relevant at VCU Games...:roll:.

GTFO here with that crap, I sat in the rowdy section for years and was always in the first 2 rows.... so myself & the rest of the rowdies saw first hand some of the impromptu stuff Ryan did.

Last edited:
May 19, 2015
The atmosphere has suffered because we have to watch every Joe or Jane Blow shoot a basket for a $25.00 BS coupon, or a slice of pizza, throw a plastic ball on a mat for a free biscuit or some other wheel of fortune predetermined amount of money based on the challenger and the opponent we are playing that night for the hype of the atmosphere only to realize the ball falls 15' short of the basket. Only then can we hear, in between, our Peppas playing those great sounds. Now, I sure would love to see their repertoire expanded if that is possible.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Ryan was a double edged sword. He brought spontaneity, enthusiasm and innovation. Sometimes his stuff wouldn’t work, but other times it was brilliant. Requiem, Like a Wrecking Ball, and Rain in Africa are cases in point. The band could be flat or not sound tight at times, but the high notes made up for it. I think we were the first non HBCU school to use the You Don’t Wanna Go to War.

But the male stripper persona was cheap, tawdry and frankly insulting to everyone in attendance.

The band is more consistent now, tighter and sounds better. It is a trade off. Perhaps not as energetic, or as spontaneous and not as irreverent, but it sounds better.
I was never insulted by the male stripper thing. I thought it was funny.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Like anything, familiarity breeds contentment. We have become content with the band, the GRD's and the cheerleaders and the pre game video Neither of those bring the excitement they once did. I don't want to get into the debate about Ryan, but he did keep it fresh even if some of his antics made you cringe. We like to think of VCU as being edgy.... there's nothing edgy about it anymore, it is corporate plain vanilla, nothing more, nothing less. Add in the dumb [email protected]@ promo's, and what we have is a recipe for plain yellow cake with no frosting.

Dec 2, 2012
Like anything, familiarity breeds contentment. We have become content with the band, the GRD's and the cheerleaders and the pre game video Neither of those bring the excitement they once did. I don't want to get into the debate about Ryan, but he did keep it fresh even if some of his antics made you cringe. We like to think of VCU as being edgy.... there's nothing edgy about it anymore, it is corporate plain vanilla, nothing more, nothing less. Add in the dumb [email protected]@ promo's, and what we have is a recipe for plain yellow cake with no frosting.

Apr 21, 2009
"We like to think of VCU as being edgy.... there's nothing edgy about it anymore, it is corporate plain vanilla, nothing more, nothing less."

This quote. Exactly this.

I think this is a huge issue that many of us alums from "not the past 10 years" struggle with. Being a VCU alum used to mean something very specific, and there were a great many of us who took pride in that different experience. Many of us have not changed very much...but the school, the neighborhood, the ethos...has. A great deal.

It is sometimes hard to deal with and I am certainly no different. I grew up in the city when there was almost nothing positive to celebrate but the murder rate, so we had to pride ourselves on our grit alone. Now, no more...VCU and Richmond appeal to the masses- masses we would not have chosen to associate with- and there is not much we can do about that now. On some level, success breeds a sort of blandness. I just feel fortunate that I can remember the climb up.

Dec 2, 2012
"We like to think of VCU as being edgy.... there's nothing edgy about it anymore, it is corporate plain vanilla, nothing more, nothing less."

This quote. Exactly this.

I think this is a huge issue that many of us alums from "not the past 10 years" struggle with. Being a VCU alum used to mean something very specific, and there were a great many of us who took pride in that different experience. Many of us have not changed very much...but the school, the neighborhood, the ethos...has. A great deal.

It is sometimes hard to deal with and I am certainly no different. I grew up in the city when there was almost nothing positive to celebrate but the murder rate, so we had to pride ourselves on our grit alone. Now, no more...VCU and Richmond appeal to the masses- masses we would not have chosen to associate with- and there is not much we can do about that now. On some level, success breeds a sort of blandness. I just feel fortunate that I can remember the climb up.
So VCU used to be the cool underground band we saw at Roclkitz, but now they are on SNL they have sold out?

Reactions: RVABean

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
We definitely miss Ryan and for lack of a more articulate way to put it, "the edginess" that he brought to the band and the arena. I always thought The Peppas, under Ryan's leadership, had a certain vibe that just felt like VCU was supposed to feel. It was different than any other pep band. I suspect that the musicians in the band today are every bit as talented today as they were back then. However, the delivery of the music, the enthusiasm, and the adrenaline of the Ryan led Peppas just felt different.
Amen! Living out of town, we don't get to go to every game, but we'd make sure to get back into town for one or two every season. When we came to a game, we were going to a show. Absolutely the team and the basketball game were in the center ring. But the band, and the crowd energy were the side show. It was so cool to come in and experience HAVOC for one game, and then go back home and watch the season unfold. Any time the announcers would describe the craziness in the stadium, you could just feel what they were describing because you'd been there. Sadly, that gut feeling just isn't the same anymore. I understand that the corporate intermission games have increased, and I understand their purpose and need, but I really don't think that was as obtrusive to me when I went to a game in December. It is very noticable, though, that that band/crowd symbiotic energy is not there the way it used to be. I think adding some new music to the repertoire would be a huge stride in getting some of that mojo back.

Dec 2, 2012
My take:
We're spoiled.
As a fan base.

We used to lose our marbles over getting an NCAA bid, now we complain if we don't get out of the first round.
We used to look at teams as our rivals, and now we look down on them, meaning we accept wins as our mere due, and don't celebrate the wins.
Look at how people treat MR--He took a broken team of mismatched parts in his first year, had one of the best defenses in the mid majors his second year, and now if we lose a game against a very good team everyone acts like he is late stage Bobby Knight sticking to man, and forgetting how well we handled the best UR team in 15 years by tweaking our defense. "Oh we need a zone, oh our defense is predictable".
We used to be grateful to see the Rams on TV, now we complain about how it breaks up the flow of the game.

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
My take:
We're spoiled.
As a fan base.

We used to lose our marbles over getting an NCAA bid, now we complain if we don't get out of the first round.
We used to look at teams as our rivals, and now we look down on them, meaning we accept wins as our mere due, and don't celebrate the wins.
Look at how people treat MR--He took a broken team of mismatched parts in his first year, had one of the best defenses in the mid majors his second year, and now if we lose a game against a very good team everyone acts like he is late stage Bobby Knight sticking to man, and forgetting how well we handled the best UR team in 15 years by tweaking our defense. "Oh we need a zone, oh our defense is predictable".
We used to be grateful to see the Rams on TV, now we complain about how it breaks up the flow of the game.
Some fans, yes. But I think they are the vocal minority.
I think there are a good number of other fans, many who date back prior to the 2000's, who are appreciative and not spoiled.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
My take:
We're spoiled.
As a fan base.

Are we spoiled... maybe some of them are. But let's be honest, what successful team/program doesn't have their group of spoiled fans?

And sure some used to get super excited for just making the tournament.... that's what happens when you go from 1985 to 2004.... 19 years between tournament appearances (except 1996).... and even in the 2000's, when we were only making it about every other year.

As far as complaining about not getting out of the first round (now technically the 2nd round due to the First Four)…. Are you telling me you're ok with just making the NCAA Tourney, but not going anywhere once you get there? And when you make the NCAA Tourney 7 years in a row, and only once do you get past the first weekend.... yeah people are going to get frustrated.

You telling me, that if Duke, UNC, Michigan St, Kentucky, Kansas (and other annual tournament teams) made the Tourney 6 years in a row (or more) and never got past the first weekend in any of them, that their fans wouldn't be upset, frustrated... etc. You darn right they would be. Especially since all those schools I mentioned would likely be 1 or 2 seeds just about every year & would be most of the favorites to win the whole thing. Not to mention those schools get the majority of big name recruits & pay their coaches the big bucks.

So back to VCU.... after the 18 seasons of only making the Tournament 1 time (1996)… yeah Im sure a lot of fans, young & old were happy just making the tournament the first couple times (04, 07 & 09.... and I know a lot of people were excited after the Duke game in 07).

But then you had the Final 4 Run, which put VCU firmly on the map.... and did wonders for this school both in recruiting, Financially among other things. And sure, VCU could had a fluke run to the Final 4... in a tournament, most never thought we belonged in.... and we coulda just lived off that for the rest of our lives, and stayed in mediocrity the rest of our lives.... But instead VCU put the pedal to the metal and wielded of 6 more consecutive tourney appearances, which for the "average" fan... or the fan of some bottom tiered mid major conference.... that would be ok.

But VCU is not a bottom tiered Mid major... and after the 2012 season we left the CAA for the A10... arguably the 6th or 7th best conference in the Nation at the time. If VCU & its fans were ok, with just making the tournament.... why would we leave the CAA? We would've cleaned house in that conference every year & darn near close to a lock as the auto bid every year.

Sure, VCU is not anywhere close to being a Nat'l Title contender... we all know that. But when you go to the NCAA Tourney 7 years in a row... you must be doing something right. And with more winning comes more expectations. So it's only Natural, that after making the NCAA tourney several years in a row.... including The Final 4 run that started it all..... it's only Natural that people would wanna see us succeed more.... and be disappointed more when we don't.

Last thing, as far as rivalries go... you don't think we celebrate, Talk $#!t on Social media or w/e after beating Rivals? Lol clearly you must not look at Social Media much... especially when we have hashtags for Fur hate week & Fodu Hate week. Also, what makes Rivalries good & electric.... is when both teams are good. Richmond's had what.... 2 or 3 really good years since their 2011 Sweet 16 run? And we've had what.... 1 bad season? Then you look at Old dominion... their basketball program has taken a major hit.... ever since they brought football back & went to C-USA. No where near what it once was..... and I don't even think I need to mention GMU. But our fans, still get amped for those Rivalry games.... but we've also made new rivals in Dayton & Rhode Island.... and we certainly get amped for those 2 games.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Beirne and Ram it

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Are we spoiled... maybe some of them are. But let's be honest, what successful team/program doesn't have their group of spoiled fans?

And sure some used to get super excited for just making the tournament.... that's what happens when you go from 1985 to 2004.... 19 years between tournament appearances (except 1996).... and even in the 2000's, when we were only making it about every other year.

As far as complaining about not getting out of the first round (now technically the 2nd round due to the First Four)…. Are you telling me you're ok with just making the NCAA Tourney, but not going anywhere once you get there? And when you make the NCAA Tourney 7 years in a row, and only once do you get past the first weekend.... yeah people are going to get frustrated.

You telling me, that if Duke, UNC, Michigan St, Kentucky, Kansas (and other annual tournament teams) made the Tourney 6 years in a row (or more) and never got past the first weekend in any of them, that their fans wouldn't be upset, frustrated... etc. You darn right they would be. Especially since all those schools I mentioned would likely be 1 or 2 seeds just about every year & would be most of the favorites to win the whole thing. Not to mention those schools get the majority of big name recruits & pay their coaches the big bucks.

So back to VCU.... after the 18 seasons of only making the Tournament 1 time (1996)… yeah Im sure a lot of fans, young & old were happy just making the tournament the first couple times (04, 07 & 09.... and I know a lot of people were excited after the Duke game in 07).

But then you had the Final 4 Run, which put VCU firmly on the map.... and did wonders for this school both in recruiting, Financially among other things. And sure, VCU could had a fluke run to the Final 4... in a tournament, most never thought we belonged in.... and we coulda just lived off that for the rest of our lives, and stayed in mediocrity the rest of our lives.... But instead VCU put the pedal to the metal and wielded of 6 more consecutive tourney appearances, which for the "average" fan... or the fan of some bottom tiered mid major conference.... that would be ok.

But VCU is not a bottom tiered Mid major... and after the 2012 season we left the CAA for the A10... arguably the 6th or 7th best conference in the Nation at the time. If VCU & its fans were ok, with just making the tournament.... why would we leave the CAA? We would've cleaned house in that conference every year & darn near close to a lock as the auto bid every year.

Sure, VCU is not anywhere close to being a Nat'l Title contender... we all know that. But when you go to the NCAA Tourney 7 years in a row... you must be doing something right. And with more winning comes more expectations. So it's only Natural, that after making the NCAA tourney several years in a row.... including The Final 4 run that started it all..... it's only Natural that people would wanna see us succeed more.... and be disappointed more when we don't.

Last thing, as far as rivalries go... you don't think we celebrate, Talk $#!t on Social media or w/e after beating Rivals? Lol clearly you must not look at Social Media much... especially when we have hashtags for Fur hate week & Fodu Hate week. Also, what makes Rivalries good & electric.... is when both teams are good. Richmond's had what.... 2 or 3 really good years since their 2011 Sweet 16 run? And we've had what.... 1 bad season? Then you look at Old dominion... their basketball program has taken a major hit.... ever since they brought football back & went to C-USA. No where near what it once was..... and I don't even think I need to mention GMU. But our fans, still get amped for those Rivalry games.... but we've also made new rivals in Dayton & Rhode Island.... and we certainly get amped for those 2 games.
Thank you for saying everything that I did not have the time, nor the eloquence, to say! 😎

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Do I like my old school Merrell Eagles I fondly recall, or my brand new Merrell Whiteouts?
They've both worn just fine, but my new kicks are massive and feel better.
Both the original pair and the ones I have now fit my feets fine and keep 'em fit and strong.
THE PEPPAS are growing, changing, morphing. Still going strong. They are not your past Peppas.
Their opinions about their band makes more of a difference than mine anyway. And you don't know theirs.
We all like to imagine our opinions matter more than anything else in the world.
And with or without your "support" which we all know is like anything Ram-related,
always has been destined to be there one second, perhaps gone the next, it looks like to me they're moving on.
They're practicing nonstop, playing their hearts out at the same number of events, big and small.
thepeppas_79455973_239194017066411_173787269537609371_n.jpg
thepeppas_75272093_177045526686336_1117166601262703295_n.jpg
72204223_2300192876755936_5070443969020841544_n.jpg
84718581_224018981937636_9181403288406063939_n.jpg81662674_10158370818366495_4327613780503560192_n.jpg

I'm ever proud of these young people who work their asses off for this university.
What Pep band has GWAR wanting to record with them?