Band discussion!

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Do I like my old school Merrell Eagles I fondly recall, or my brand new Merrell Whiteouts?
They've both worn just fine, but my new kicks are massive and feel better.
Both the original pair and the ones I have now fit my feets fine and keep 'em fit and strong.
THE PEPPAS are growing, changing, morphing. Still going strong. They are not your past Peppas.
Their opinions about their band makes more of a difference than mine anyway. And you don't know theirs.
We all like to imagine our opinions matter more than anything else in the world.
And with or without your "support" which we all know is like anything Ram-related,
always has been destined to be there one second, perhaps gone the next, it looks like to me they're moving on.
They're practicing nonstop, playing their hearts out at the same number of events, big and small.
View attachment 8047
View attachment 8048
View attachment 8049
View attachment 8050View attachment 8051

I'm ever proud of these young people who work their asses off for this university.
What Pep band has GWAR wanting to record with them?

Was that Slaughter-rama or Saddam a go-go??

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Ye gods, this the some of the most faux avant-garde, scenester-y (I won't even credit it with hipster-ness), Grade C whining I have read on here in quite a while. What, did you all go to art school or something?

[Takes long drag on an American Spirit] I remember when VCU's pep band used to be cool, man. Probably before your time.

Get over yourselves :roll:

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Ye gods, this the some of the most faux avant-garde, scenester-y (I won't even credit it with hipster-ness), Grade C whining I have read on here in quite a while. What, did you all go to art school or something?

[Takes long drag on an American Spirit, makes sure the folds of his pressed jeans are symmetrical and just above the work boots that have never seen a day of work all while stroking his ridiculous and played out giant beard...also some kind of sh1tty tribal tattoo and a knit skull cap even if it's a billion degrees outside ] I remember when VCU's pep band used to be cool, man. Probably before your time.

slight fix

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

[Takes long drag on an American Spirit] I remember when VCU's pep band used to be cool, man. Probably before your time.

Patrick Bateman's take on Huey Lewis and the news.

Reactions: dbt and mrgeode

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Ryan was a double edged sword. He brought spontaneity, enthusiasm and innovation. Sometimes his stuff wouldn’t work, but other times it was brilliant. Requiem, Like a Wrecking Ball, and Rain in Africa are cases in point. The band could be flat or not sound tight at times, but the high notes made up for it. I think we were the first non HBCU school to use the You Don’t Wanna Go to War.

But the male stripper persona was cheap, tawdry and frankly insulting to everyone in attendance.

The band is more consistent now, tighter and sounds better. It is a trade off. Perhaps not as energetic, or as spontaneous and not as irreverent, but it sounds better.
The band has always been at its best when we are winning.

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
There is a LOT of scripting from the marketing department that happens during the game, such as the under 8 media timeout in the second half goes to the dance team, the under 4 goes to the band, and I think the under 12 always goes to Woodfin.

One of these that can drive almost everyone nuts is the requirement that the first 30 second timeout in the second half, which always extends to a full timeout, we have to play "Rock and Part 2" (the Hay Song), even when we're down. In some cases, if no one calls a timeout, we don't play the song at all during the game. Sometimes, we'll try and sneak it in if when we are allowed to play after some sort of promotion if there is enough time to at least get it started (pay attention to the Dance and Cheer Squads when this happens, they always seem to be unsure if they should head out onto the floor since they don't know exactly when they will need to get off of it). A successful example of this was during the UR game. We all know that Mooney likes to hold onto timeouts since he must get some sort of bonus for all of the ones he doesn't call at the end of the year, but after a short song during the bands timeout we got to play the full Hay Song.

After skimming the thread I did see folks talk about having an "appropriate" song being played during times of need, and Ryan was generally really good at doing this at the drop of a hat. Just like Duane, he would have us geared up for the next song to play, and in a heartbeat we could switch it. But a wonderful problem that even he started to run into comes with how much bigger the band now is. It can be difficult to do these switches now when it needs to be broadcast to the four corners of the earth, or in this case; section 33.

One thing that has defiantly lead to some of the awkward pauses before we start playing is waiting for permission to start playing. You'll see all of these folks with the headsets on around the arena coordinating promotions and other stuff and we have our assistant director, Larry, listening in waiting for our cue to start. I swear that if I ever had to wear that thing I'd probably start drinking again, but I prefer my sobriety as does my mental and physical health, so I'll just stay away from those headsets.

Now, we are constantly add new songs to our library, and are play them, but there are several of the old charts that stick around for various reasons, one of which is that the coaches request them, and it's not just the MBB coaches, but all coaches across all of the olympic sports that we play for. The one that I was most excited to finally get in this year is "Saddam a Go-Go" by GWAR. The most exciting part about this song isn't that we're just playing a song from a band that originated here at VCU, but all of the kids really really like playing the song.

Since this thread seems to be partly about the gameday experience (and a lot has changed over the last 10 seasons I've been doing this) one thing that has stuck out to me is the overall use of cellphones by everyone in the arena. During a timeout; folks will plop down in their seats and putz around on their phones. Even during gameplay you can see this happening. When you think about it back in 2010 there were only 300MM smartphones sold worldwide. Last year 1.5B of the things were sold. It seems the more we become connected, the more we have become disconnected...

...Now back to the point. Let's win some Basketball and have some Fun!!!
VCU - Go Rams GO!!!

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
So now that everyone knows that the Peppas have to follow a script, whereas years ago they did not, we can move on. Of course you always have those who can't let it go. Maybe the Peppas should start playing Elsa's song!!!😁😊😏
It’s not so much about letting it go, it’s wondering why we would accept less when it was much better before.

Reactions: vcumad and Beirne

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
There is a LOT of scripting from the marketing department that happens during the game, such as the under 8 media timeout in the second half goes to the dance team, the under 4 goes to the band, and I think the under 12 always goes to Woodfin.

One of these that can drive almost everyone nuts is the requirement that the first 30 second timeout in the second half, which always extends to a full timeout, we have to play "Rock and Part 2" (the Hay Song), even when we're down. In some cases, if no one calls a timeout, we don't play the song at all during the game. Sometimes, we'll try and sneak it in if when we are allowed to play after some sort of promotion if there is enough time to at least get it started (pay attention to the Dance and Cheer Squads when this happens, they always seem to be unsure if they should head out onto the floor since they don't know exactly when they will need to get off of it). A successful example of this was during the UR game. We all know that Mooney likes to hold onto timeouts since he must get some sort of bonus for all of the ones he doesn't call at the end of the year, but after a short song during the bands timeout we got to play the full Hay Song.

After skimming the thread I did see folks talk about having an "appropriate" song being played during times of need, and Ryan was generally really good at doing this at the drop of a hat. Just like Duane, he would have us geared up for the next song to play, and in a heartbeat we could switch it. But a wonderful problem that even he started to run into comes with how much bigger the band now is. It can be difficult to do these switches now when it needs to be broadcast to the four corners of the earth, or in this case; section 33.

One thing that has defiantly lead to some of the awkward pauses before we start playing is waiting for permission to start playing. You'll see all of these folks with the headsets on around the arena coordinating promotions and other stuff and we have our assistant director, Larry, listening in waiting for our cue to start. I swear that if I ever had to wear that thing I'd probably start drinking again, but I prefer my sobriety as does my mental and physical health, so I'll just stay away from those headsets.

Now, we are constantly add new songs to our library, and are play them, but there are several of the old charts that stick around for various reasons, one of which is that the coaches request them, and it's not just the MBB coaches, but all coaches across all of the olympic sports that we play for. The one that I was most excited to finally get in this year is "Saddam a Go-Go" by GWAR. The most exciting part about this song isn't that we're just playing a song from a band that originated here at VCU, but all of the kids really really like playing the song.

Since this thread seems to be partly about the gameday experience (and a lot has changed over the last 10 seasons I've been doing this) one thing that has stuck out to me is the overall use of cellphones by everyone in the arena. During a timeout; folks will plop down in their seats and putz around on their phones. Even during gameplay you can see this happening. When you think about it back in 2010 there were only 300MM smartphones sold worldwide. Last year 1.5B of the things were sold. It seems the more we become connected, the more we have become disconnected...

...Now back to the point. Let's win some Basketball and have some Fun!!!
VCU - Go Rams GO!!!
Thanks for posting this. Glad to hear new songs are being added especially from the likes of GWAR! I wish the freedom remained in the band. Good point on cell phone use as well.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
At least now we understand why in the world they would play “you don’t want to go to war” during a break in play immediately following a huge scoring run by the other team. Sure seems like band leader should be given enough flexibility to avoid appearing to be out of touch with what’s transpiring on the floor.