Band discussion!

VCU94MCV98

Top Member
Mar 27, 2011
Amen! Living out of town, we don't get to go to every game, but we'd make sure to get back into town for one or two every season. When we came to a game, we were going to a show. Absolutely the team and the basketball game were in the center ring. But the band, and the crowd energy were the side show. It was so cool to come in and experience HAVOC for one game, and then go back home and watch the season unfold. Any time the announcers would describe the craziness in the stadium, you could just feel what they were describing because you'd been there. Sadly, that gut feeling just isn't the same anymore.
I am so sorry to hear that:

1581118245424.png

Reactions: Beirne

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
At least now we understand why in the world they would play “you don’t want to go to war” during a break in play immediately following a huge scoring run by the other team. Sure seems like band leader should be given enough flexibility to avoid appearing to be out of touch with what’s transpiring on the floor.
Not to insert myself too much into this discussion, I do agree 100% with that last sentence. As should the people who ultimately are pulling those strings.
I’m taking the convo to mean that the band has its slots, let the director pick.
Also, anyone recognize this?
4F694DFA-8138-4223-A42C-BC42DF927BA0.jpeg

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I love it
ole folk still want to experience
the edginess of their youth
through a new generation of kids
who have no idea what they are talking about
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That’s how it always is! I think my 80s music is cool. My 20 y.o. just shakes his head.

• Love
Reactions: Beirne

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Amen....are we talking Steely Dan or Cindi Lauper.
Yes. 😂
I lean towards The Commodores, Kool and the Gang, etc. most of the time. But I also like Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, Van Halen AC/DC, etc. There’s not much I don’t like, depending on the mood.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2012
Yes. 😂
I lean towards The Commodores, Kool and the Gang, etc. most of the time. But I also like Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, Van Halen AC/DC, etc. There’s not much I don’t like, depending on the mood.
If you don't have an REM tattoo and you went to VCU, did you even 80s?

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Do I like my old school Merrell Eagles I fondly recall, or my brand new Merrell Whiteouts?
They've both worn just fine, but my new kicks are massive and feel better.
Both the original pair and the ones I have now fit my feets fine and keep 'em fit and strong.
THE PEPPAS are growing, changing, morphing. Still going strong. They are not your past Peppas.
Their opinions about their band makes more of a difference than mine anyway. And you don't know theirs.
We all like to imagine our opinions matter more than anything else in the world.
And with or without your "support" which we all know is like anything Ram-related,
always has been destined to be there one second, perhaps gone the next, it looks like to me they're moving on.
They're practicing nonstop, playing their hearts out at the same number of events, big and small.
View attachment 8047
View attachment 8048
View attachment 8049
View attachment 8050View attachment 8051

I'm ever proud of these young people who work their asses off for this university.
What Pep band has GWAR wanting to record with them?
I respect you and your fandom, but with all due respect, this post feels off. Nobody is dissing the musicians. The kids are great, and I haven't read one post saying otherwise. Maybe I missed something?

The stated "problems," if that's even the right word to use, are all with the band leader. I have no idea about the behind-the-scenes issues, but when it comes to the game day experience, the new guy isn't as good as Ryan. Period. I honesty don't understand how or why anyone would debate this as it's about as obvious an observation that one could possibly make.

That said, it doesn't really matter that much because Ryan isn't coming back. We are who we are.

Reactions: RamStrut

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I respect you and your fandom, but with all due respect, this post feels off. Nobody is dissing the musicians. The kids are great, and I haven't read one post saying otherwise. Maybe I missed something?

The stated "problems," if that's even the right word to use, are all with the band leader. I have no idea about the behind-the-scenes issues, but when it comes to the game day experience, the new guy isn't as good as Ryan. Period. I honesty don't understand how or why anyone would debate this as it's about as obvious an observation that one could possibly make.

That said, it doesn't really matter that much because Ryan isn't coming back. We are who we are.
They've both worn just fine, but my new kicks are massive and feel better.
Both the original pair and the ones I have now fit my feets fine and keep 'em fit and strong.

This thread is titled "Band Discussion!", not "Band Director Discussion!". Everything I am posting about is the band I see being discussed.

I am responding as you're singling out and belittling my opinion here. Just like everyone else who has voiced their subjective opinion, like you, I am entitled to mine. If you don't appreciate mine, which is a real possibility, I'd suggested you just turn the page and read the next post. All I have that can't be taken from me in this world is how I feel, and unlike a ton of other things in my life, no one is ripping that away from me.

Last edited:

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014

Well the new guy isn’t about attention to self and I think that is an important quality in a leader. Band director/leader directs/leads the band. But @MobileMunchies is right, band discussion not band director discussion. I like the band A LOT& am hoping they get to play through Sunday in Brooklyn and then get to travel for a bit in March.