Band discussion!

Feb 14, 2011
VCU’s band leads almost every chant and they are great, y’all just find something out of everything to complain about..
Funny how spoiled/entitled our fan base has become. We used to "make fun" of fan bases that acted just like we are. I suspect many of our fans don't get out to see what is happening in other arenas. Imagine if the Peppas took a game off what the atmosphere would be like. I believe if fans actually knew how much commitment and time these kids put in to entertain us, they would probably be a little critical.

A call out to Chris (aka Pav) and the Peppas for a great National Anthem, the "sing along" is something I look forward to each season. That and Ms. Sophia.

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
Tangential to the discussion at hand: I play music for my midday classes when the kids come into the room and on game days I usually like to keep it VCU centric. I was looking on Youtube for some inspiration for yesterday's song and came back across that Youngblood Bras Band song "Brooklyn." I always liked that one but felt that it was a bit melancholy (I think I may have associated it being played once when we were losing and never quite shook that feeling). It was a bit lower tempo than I wanted for class so I didn't end up choosing that song, but after the past 24 hours I can't seem to get it out of my head.

TTL PKG

Top Member
Apr 2, 2012
I don't really have a dog in the fight anymore but for what its worth I haven't heard one person question the work ethic or the commitment level of 1 person in the band. Everyone's committed at this level. I'm a redskins fan. I believe they are committed. No ones mailing it in and no one is saying anyone is. I respect everyone's hard work and dedication. The time commitment is beyond tremendous. With that being said people have the right to whatever opinion they care to hold. Personally I feel if you have an opinion you should ask yourself before you type it out "would I be willing to say this to this person directly?" This is such an odd way of communicating. People literally saying things about me they would never say to me in person and hiding behind a log in. Its very interesting. Back to the band, it is similar in some ways but very different in others. Like I said previously I still believe they work just as hard and are just as committed. What holds zero water is people that speculate or speak as if they know for a fact on subject matter of things that relate to the band. Even some people that are directly related to the band are wildly inaccurate in their accounts here and it leaves me scratching my head at times. Obviously I can only speak to the times when I was there and not currently. Another thing I find quite comical is some of the people that are most annoyed when my name gets brought up are the same people that can not stop talking about me when my name gets brought up. I have been doing good too I have been dormant for so long and someone went and said BEETLEJUICE 3x and ive popped back up UGH

Reactions: RamStrut

TTL PKG

Top Member
Apr 2, 2012
Tangential to the discussion at hand: I play music for my midday classes when the kids come into the room and on game days I usually like to keep it VCU centric. I was looking on Youtube for some inspiration for yesterday's song and came back across that Youngblood Bras Band song "Brooklyn." I always liked that one but felt that it was a bit melancholy (I think I may have associated it being played once when we were losing and never quite shook that feeling). It was a bit lower tempo than I wanted for class so I didn't end up choosing that song, but after the past 24 hours I can't seem to get it out of my head.
Thats a song I REALLY wanted to play!!!! But could never get enough trombones to really nail the part in a way I felt comfortable enough to play it. What a great great song though

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
Thats a song I REALLY wanted to play!!!! But could never get enough trombones to really nail the part in a way I felt comfortable enough to play it. What a great great song though
Oh man, I totally Mandella Effected that that one was on our setlist back in the day!

Reactions: TTL PKG

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
@TTL PKG , how many new songs would you previously try to introduce in a season? How long would it take to get a new song from first draft to performance quality?

I absolutely respect the commitment of all Peppas, past and present, and my thanks to all involved. My only observation/critique is that it doesn't seem as if fresh, new music is introduced to the experience at the same rate. If the Peppas were to release a CD today, what would be different from the 2014 CD I already own?

Reactions: RamStrut

TTL PKG

Top Member
Apr 2, 2012
@TTL PKG , how many new songs would you previously try to introduce in a season? How long would it take to get a new song from first draft to performance quality?

I absolutely respect the commitment of all Peppas, past and present, and my thanks to all involved. My only observation/critique is that it doesn't seem as if fresh, new music is introduced to the experience at the same rate. If the Peppas were to release a CD today, what would be different from the 2014 CD I already own?
This is really really tough. It was especially tough for me. Always having a full time job that wasn't in music. I always tried to have 15-20 new songs every year. Realistically of those songs maybe 5-10 would stick and be liked. Then an additional 3-4 would be added during the season that were hits during the year. Its easy to go with what works though. Thats why I have/had friends in athletics who would just say "Ryan im tired of hearing the sma crap! So occasionally I would dump a bunch of songs and add a bunch. I was always looking for songs with purpose though. My main purpose when leading the band was to win basketball games. It wasnt music. That and entertainment was #2. Winning basketball games was what I was originally hired to do. I will never forget my very first boss BJ Burton telling me "You help this team win come heck or high water!"

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The irony in this post is we were playing GMU when I played “Forget You” by Cee Low at the under 12 timeout. It was such a hit with the student section we played it again at the under 8. 🤷🏻‍♂️
A song played on the radio certainly was ok for the game right? We do have a very creative student section!
I remember feeling creative that night myself. Totally screwed the words to the song up though. That was back before smart phones when you could look up the lyrics. That was the best part of that game. Wouldn't have been the same last night though. There were only like 10 Mason fans in the building to sing to.

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
I love to listen to the Peppas . I arrive at least 45 minutes before the game to listen. I have no complaints about them . HOWEVER , considering the size of the student body at VCU the student turnout is abysmal . Is the university providing other sections of seats available to students other than the section beside the band ?

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
I love to listen to the Peppas . I arrive at least 45 minutes before the game to listen. I have no complaints about them . HOWEVER , considering the size of the student body at VCU the student turnout is abysmal . Is the university providing other sections of seats available to students other than the section beside the band ?
Our student section is a curious thing. I’m anxious to see what the turnout is for Dayton.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
While I can not explain the Student turnout.... here's how it works....

There's about 1100 tickets (correct me if I'm wrong on the totals someone) initially set aside for Students. Students have to claim their tickets (usually about a week ahead of time) during their designated ticket claim periods. The first part of the time period, is Set aside for the Rowdy Rams to claim their tickets, with the remaining part set aside for all non Rowdy Rams students. I've heard different stories on whether its a lottery system or if it's first come first serve in terms of claiming tickets.

After the ticket claim period is over.... if you have a ticket, you're good to get into the game. If you don't, there's a standby line next to the Rowdy Rams line outside.

Rowdy Rams members are let in 15 minutes before the rest of the students & the rest of the regular ticket holders. So if doors open to the public at 5:30, the Rowdy Rams get in at 5:15. While the rest of the students & the regular ticket holders get in at 5:30.

As far as Student seating.... there's the section right next to the band in the East End Zone as well as the 2 sections across from them in the West End Zone..... these are all Student/Gen Admission seating.

Now back to the Stand By line.... usually a few minutes before tipoff, if there are any students in the Stand by line, if there are unsold tickets or unused student tickets.... they will let those students in the stand by line in.

As far as the ticket claim goes, I believe when this started, there was a rule that if you claimed a ticket & did not use it 3 times.... then you would no longer be allowed to claim tickets. No idea if that ever happened or if it is still the case. Obviously, if you claimed it, but realized you were not going to be able to use it.... you could return it, without it counting against you.... but I forgot the time frame in which you had to return it.