Baseball Stadium

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Tucked deeply and briefly in Virginia Commonwealth University’s campus master plan unanimously approved by the university's board of visitors on Friday is the first official confirmation from the school that it intends to build a baseball stadium.

Dec 2, 2012
Hopefully at or near the site of the current Diamond, I cant recall my log in I'll read it at home

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Any interesting details? Paywalled :(
Under the heading “Athletic Village” on Page 57 of the ONE VCU Master Plan is the following entry:

“During the ONE VCU planning process, VCU Athletics conducted their own planning study to relocate and consolidate facilities. An off-campus site will accommodate a new tennis center, practice fields, a baseball stadium and field house.”

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
We do not own or use the Arthur Ashe Center?

The City of Richmond Public School System owns the Ashe Center. There might be some high school basketball games played there. It's a dump. Needs a new HVAC, or better yet, torn down. Yet another Richmond Public Schools eyesore in the city.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Virginia Union used to play games at the Arthur Ashe Center but now they are playing most at Barco-Stevens. I used to go watch AJ English, Charles Oakley, Jamie Waller, etc. Great teams with Dave Robbins at the helm. Oh and back in the day I shot this Kendrick Warren dunk at the Ashe Center.
It is the first clip in this video.

Dec 2, 2012
https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/0...te-coliseum-area-is-focus-of-meeting-tonight/

According to this, the new Richmond baseball field will NOT be part of the VCU athletic village, because VCU could not get every facility in to the AV they wanted along with the new baseball field.

"Mark Olinger, the city’s director of planning and development review, said recent discussions made clear that the athletics village would not be able to accommodate a baseball stadium.
Olinger, who has been leading the Richmond 300 effort, said VCU’s plans for the complex, which would include indoor and outdoor tennis courts and other sports facilities, “became very difficult for the ball diamond to fit into and make all of the other items work.” In light of that, the plan now envisions the new stadium to be built among mixed-use development on the west side of Hermitage."

Left unanswered, as far as I could tell, was if VCU was still going to buld the stadium and lease it out to the Flying Squirells.