Basketball Analytics, Rules, etc.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I figured some of you would like these types of videos. Thinking Basketball is a great YouTube channel that’s worth a follow. He focuses on the NBA, but the concepts are applicable to the game at all levels. He’s put out 2 parts in this series so far.

This is his examination of midrange shots and whether they’re still valuable in today’s game.

And this is a purely NBA video that’s really fun.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Another really good channel to follow is BBALLBREAKDOWN. Again, it’s very NBA oriented.

This is a good video about the differences between college basketball and the NBA and how the way college basketball is played can sometimes hide future NBA stars.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I appreciate this thread. Analytics can help provide a decent picture of a player's value, but as it exists it has flaws and doesn't explain a lot of the smaller things.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I appreciate this thread. Analytics can help provide a decent picture of a player's value, but as it exists it has flaws and doesn't explain a lot of the smaller things.
Meh. Analytics have value as ancillary value. I still believe you can only measure a players value by watching him play within the context of his team during a game.

A center like charles jones, who played for bullets during their down years in late 80's or early 90's had pultry stats but his value was the ability to defend centers much.bigger than himself on a team that didn't have any other rim protectors.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Meh. Analytics have value as ancillary value. I still believe you can only measure a players value by watching him play within the context of his team during a game.

A center like charles jones, who played for bullets during their down years in late 80's or early 90's had pultry stats but his value was the ability to defend centers much.bigger than himself on a team that didn't have any other rim protectors.
I can't believe you spelled "ancillary" correctly. Blind hogs and acorns!!! I'm impressed. :lol: