Behold: Practice facility renderings

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Yes! Thank you. I knew there was a more appropriate term for it. I know the Oregon Hill people are always raising fits whenever VCU builds something

Whatever happened to those abandoned barns that were falling down? Did they relocate them?

Dec 11, 2011
I didnt suggest we multi purpose the building the Murpram guy did. I stated we could make it eco/neighborhood/green/efficient and meet our needs. As a former resident, alum, ram fan, and, donor. I'd like to see a building that not only meets our needs but is aesthetically pleasing as well.

No need to have something stick out like a sore thumb. And Absolutely no need to multi purpose. We can do that in twenty-years when we retro-fit the Stu to be the practice facility. Its designed to be a practice facility, let's leave it at that.

Multi-purpose not my deal at all.
Would be pretty cool to see it be, at least, LEED green. Shaka's a very cerebral guy, and I'm sure he (and MWV) are down with some sustainability. Oh well, I'm just glad it's happening even if I don't get my magic pony.

Reactions: rammad90

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Whatever happened to those abandoned barns that were falling down? Did they relocate them?

Those old-ass stables that were apparently important even though they were run-down and no one had taken care of them in decades?

Pretty sure they were torn down when we built the addition and renovated Cary St. Gym.

I couldn't believe people were upset about that. It looked like a place hobos would go to take a dump.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Man, that just makes me cringe to think about. I don't know if that's just me, but I know I don't want to see anything like that. Think of all the student/faculty traffic in a facility that's supposed to be 100% dedicated to the basketball program. That's a big part of the recruiting appeal.

Plus we all know how much coaches like privacy to work with their programs, mixed use would interfere with that in a major way. Just my 2 cents.

There is nothing wrong with classrooms as Shaka, would insist that the classrooms be there. Studying is a part of basketball. As long as the facility is dedicated to bball anything that supports our success should be contained within. Also, kids have mandatory study hall. Having classrooms as well as Sophia onsite will be beneficial to the kids and the program.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Sofia will be on-site, there is a space dedicated to academic advising in the facility plans. Everything that can be included to support our basketball players will be there, that's why it's the men's basketball practice facility.

I'm not sure at all that Shaka would insist on other academic classrooms being included in a privately-funded basketball facility being built solely for the program he oversees. There is plenty of building going on around VCU to address those needs which are being used with the public funds that they should be.

If we're privately fundraising money for our basketball program, every dollar given should be spent in maximizing the experience of the student-athlete, which is what the expressed purpose of the facility is. If we're using public university funds, then sure other University concerns and needs should be considered, but that is not the case.

Again, a difference of opinion, and I can agree to disagree.

Nov 25, 2010
Sofia will be on-site, there is a space dedicated to academic advising in the facility plans. Everything that can be included to support our basketball players will be there, that's why it's the men's basketball practice facility.

I'm not sure at all that Shaka would insist on other academic classrooms being included in a privately-funded basketball facility being built solely for the program he oversees. There is plenty of building going on around VCU to address those needs which are being used with the public funds that they should be.

If we're privately fundraising money for our basketball program, every dollar given should be spent in maximizing the experience of the student-athlete, which is what the expressed purpose of the facility is. If we're using public university funds, then sure other University concerns and needs should be considered, but that is not the case.

I mean, apparently VCU is tearing down that piece a doggy doo doo apartment complex next to the new academic classrooms, so it isn't like new classrooms aren't in the future.

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
Would be pretty cool to see it be, at least, LEED green. Shaka's a very cerebral guy, and I'm sure he (and MWV) are down with some sustainability. Oh well, I'm just glad it's happening even if I don't get my magic pony.
Good point. VCU will want platinum, but many of the requirements just dont seem practible. Of course, unlimited budgets can get Brian what he wants.

Dec 28, 2012
I didnt suggest we multi purpose the building the Murpram guy did. I stated we could make it eco/neighborhood/green/efficient and meet our needs. As a former resident, alum, ram fan, and, donor. I'd like to see a building that not only meets our needs but is aesthetically pleasing as well.

No need to have something stick out like a sore thumb. And Absolutely no need to multi purpose. We can do that in twenty-years when we retro-fit the Stu to be the practice facility. Its designed to be a practice facility, let's leave it at that.

Multi-purpose not my deal at all.

I wasn't correcting you, just adding on to your points. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear about that.

Dec 11, 2011

Wait, is this EXCLUSIVELY for the use of the men's program? I was wondering about the 1.5 courts...

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wait, is this EXCLUSIVELY for the use of the men's program? I was wondering about the 1.5 courts...

Yes there is nothing that has been announced that would lead me to believe otherwise. There are 1 and a half playing courts according to the renderings, this also makes sense given the footprint being displayed in the concept maps.

In talking to some people around the project, the overwhelming message was that nothing is final yet and we're still throwing things we can include around as possibilities based on how much we can fundraise. Shaka wants it top of the line with all the bells and whistles, and we're going to try and accomodate that desire in as much as we can raise the money to afford them.

I've heard the budget go up to as much as 20 million before coming back down, I have no idea what the final budget will end up being.

Dec 28, 2012

If I remember correctly, the stables were dated back to the late 1800s. There was no historical significance to them and were essentially derelict and used for storage. When the Cary St was expanded, those old buildings were torn down. The expansion and upgrades were essential to meet the needs of the growing student population. When I was there, Siegel had the nice equipment but always overcrowded. Cary St was less crowded but equipment was old. Unfortunately, Cary St was closed my senior year and didn't reopen until after I graduated. I love old buildings, but only if they have some value. At least VCU kept similar architectural style for the upgraded gym. That can't be said for other developments in the area. Yes I am talking to you Cary Belvidere Apartments. It looks like VCU will also try to keep architectural style of the practice facility similar to the surrounding area. The parking decks make it seem like it is not conforming to height, but these are parking decks we are talking about.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

I think they relocated one and preserved the other for some type of use. I guess it was important for the tons of people (all two of them) clamoring to view an early century horse stable. It's funny how in Richmond crap buildings nobody could care less about suddenly become "historic" when someone wants to build something on the land.