Best use for last scholarship?

Nov 20, 2009
What type of player should the last scholarship be used for?

I think that we could use a grad transfer 3/4 who is athletic, a good shooter and is skilled offensively.

Another possibility would be a traditional transfer big man. This wouldn’t help us next year, but would when MSS is gone.

All of our returning players have athletic upside and have shown promise. However, it wouldn’t be shocking if someone moved on, freeing up another scholarship.

If player character or personality issues contributed to derailing this past season’s team, there’s a good chance that the “fix” consists of more than just the seniors having used up their eligibility.

I think that Rhoades & Co. will be more aggressive during this off-season, and will strive to make whatever changes and additions to the roster that are needed.

While COVID-19 is dominating our attention right now, there will eventually be a next season. When this time comes, there will be pressure on the coaching staff to field an improved team. I believe that most fans remain confident in the direction of the program, but I also think that we are at a point where the confidence needs to be validated.

Dec 16, 2013
a big body 6'7" or taller and 225 lbs or more with an ability to shoot from perimeter and mid range and plays facing the basket that can play center on defense if needed and rebound -and would be eligible immediately as a JUCO or grad transfer
We don't need another big clogging the paint like MSS and Douglas and likely Ward too - we need to play with two bigs on the court to eliminate/minimize teams that want to big boy us like URI etc -
MSS needs to play on the low block 30 minutes a game - Ward should play 25 minutes and this new addition (in my world) would play 25 minutes a game
Yes I would not have Douglas in my rotation unless others had foul trouble - others I know disagree but honestly Douglas is a good man and I respect all his contributions but no upside from what I have seen (which IMHO is not enough) for a top 50 program like VCU
also would ideally give us more balance between classes like sr , jr soph and frosh (though I admit those things have a way of working out by players transferring out that don't play)
go rams

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
My initial thought was 'go big or go home'. but...I'd take a reliable 'find my own shot' guard who is ~40% from 3 and ~85% from the line. I'd prefer a GT so it provides a buffer as the freshman adjust to D1 ball.

That said...I wouldn't mine a big who fits the same stats...does Skeen have a son old enough? or a clone?

Reactions: mrgeode and Newboy

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
Maybe a Michael Gilmore type with 30 lbs of additional muscle who can also play with his back to the basket.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
My initial thought was 'go big or go home'. but...I'd take a reliable 'find my own shot' guard who is ~40% from 3 and ~85% from the line. I'd prefer a GT so it provides a buffer as the freshman adjust to D1 ball.

That said...I wouldn't mine a big who fits the same stats...does Skeen have a son old enough? or a clone?

. I want this Guy! SpaceJam Barkley
C920A013-414F-4D13-B5DC-6F88941339A7.jpeg

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Assuming/hoping there is a next season....I think a grad transfer (or seriously capable JUCO) is an absolute must for winning next season.

So going off that, I think a "bucket-getter" is what's most needed, particularly at the off guard position (if no one transfers).

I think we're deeper down low next season. MSS, older Hasan, hopefully healthy Corey, then we add Mikeal who could play a small ball 5. At the four you can use any of those guys, but also add Vince back and Jamir Watkins and Josh as a small ball 4 option.

Point guard is super deep now with Bones, Tre and Ace, meaning it's really the 2 that I think we could use help at the most. I think an experienced bucket getter as a shooting guard would be my main goal. Gotta be able to stroke the three.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
We have three capable big men for next season....the season after it drops to one.....but for next season, I personally feel we are OK. But I really feel we are missing a lights out shooter....ala Bones. This is especially true from beyond the 3 point line.
While I would like a 4 year big man or undergrad big man transfer to help us after next season, I am worried about our perimeter shooting for next season. Outside of Bones, who has stepped up with significant enough playing time and shooting on the our court to show they have more than average 3 point shooting ability? We need another proven shooter IMO.
If we can't shoot the three, then teams will just throw a zone at us and we will be left with trying to get it down low (difficult against the zone as we have seen) or trying to drive the lane with the entire opposition team collapsing on you. Another 3 point shooter would help us spread the floor and help to give us options like getting the ball to the low post or driving in for the shot or kicking back out.
Perhaps Curry, McCallister, Williams or Clark will develop that shot over the summer (hope they work hard on it). And what our incoming freshman did in HS is only potential when it comes to shooting in college. It would be nice to have a proven college shooter....a transfer who can play immediately or a grad transfer with one year.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Just a thought. It takes a lot longer to develop a freshman big man in college than a guard. After next year, VCU loses MSS and Douglas. VCU needs to be looking long term as well as short term. Bringing in a big man this year allows them to develop like Hasan Ward did this year so that Hasan has help year after next. Otherwise, VCU is going to be scrambling for a seasoned big next year at this time.

Reactions: ISwamRam