big Changes coming to college sports, how will

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Don't underestimate the effect of them politicizing their program on the cord cutting movement. Yes, some are cutting the cord only for monetary reasons, but I know MANY people who are cutting the cord because of political agendas ESPN pushes. It's a sports network, they should stick to sports. There are tons of other options to get your politics fix.
Yeah if I want politics I'll go watch CNN or Fox News.... not ESPN

Reactions: RamDaddio

IstanbulRam

Top Member
Nov 29, 2016
Don't underestimate the effect of them politicizing their program on the cord cutting movement. Yes, some are cutting the cord only for monetary reasons, but I know MANY people who are cutting the cord because of political agendas ESPN pushes. It's a sports network, they should stick to sports. There are tons of other options to get your politics fix.
Keith Olbermann was the poster child of this. Always seemed dumb to me to ostracize 50% of your viewers.

MarsAlienRam

Top Member
Nov 20, 2016
I have been a cord cutter for 7 years. For the first 5 years, not having access to ESPN was tough and then came SlingTv. I got sling and started watching espn and realized that there was hardly any content. What made it harder was that slingtv's version of espn does not play ads and instead plays a continuous loop of its logo with repetitive music. As crazy as it sounds, I would rather watch ads than that! It was unbearable and I found myself not watching espn at all. You also realize Sportscenter is almost all ads. I switched to SlingTv's blue package and don't miss ESPN at all.

If any of you want to cut the cord, I highly recommend it. Netflix, SlingTV and an antenna is more than enough.
Sling changed...now ESPN does have adds. Still doesn't change the fact that they have zero content. Unless VCU is playing of course :lol:

Reactions: IbleedVCU

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
As far as the 2nd part of your post here.... It's good to have other schools in your conference that are good at the sports that your school is not.... or at least better than you.

For example.... other than Boston College... how many colleges in the ACC do you know of that are good at Ice Hockey? Heck I don't even know if any other ACC teams have an Ice hockey team. But since BC is usually pretty good at it, while schools like Duke or UNC may not be... that is one sport that they bring in revenue for the conference. BC also used to be decent at football when they had Matt Ryan before Duke & UNC started getting better at Football.

If the ACC only brought in schools that were good at Basketball, or good at Football... or good at both, the number of teams in the ACC would be smaller... but also in other conferences as well.

It's good to have a well rounded conference where each school has one or two sports that they are truly competitive in and can bring in money to the conference.
I think you're right that conferences work best when they're vehicles for schools to pool together and share the benefits of diverse strengths. The best "brands" draw fans regardless of the specific teams in a game - think SEC football, or ACC basketball. But I think the amount of money that's available from football, and secondarily from basketball, has the potential to make ADs think that it's not in their best interests to share. It's pretty much a certainty that as the rights come up for renewal, the price is going to go down. The schools that are national brands all by themselves will be tempted to forgo the conference deals and sign one just for themselves. And it only takes a few giving in to the temptation for the fragmentation to start.

Nov 20, 2009
bingo!! we have a winner!!

which is why I do not watch the NFL anymore. on any channel!

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I dunno. I haven't totally cut the cord yet and I can't stand ESPN because it's fudgeing unbearable, TMZ level, 247 sports drama now. 2 hour, roundtable discussion segments dedicated to what LeBron's barber's cousin said about D Wade a few years back. DeflateGate. You won't believe what Michael Phelps did now! I mean poop, in CBB they spent a year talking about ben simmons pretty much exclusively.

It's terrible now. The only time I turn it on is if there is a game I want to see on it.
This is so true.
Their MBB coverage has been reduced to Lavar Ball and Grayson Allen updates over and over and over...

Dec 2, 2012
Until ESPN drops the politics from their shows, they will continue to lose people. ?
Would you care to share any facts that support ESPN is liberal? Or any reason anyone would think being liberal has hurt them?

Anyone who looks at the issue and looks at the facts like shrinking viewers and large rights fees paid would have to conclude politics has nothing to do with it. If being liberal hurt sports Rush limbaugh would still call MNF.

Reactions: rammad90
Apr 19, 2009
I mean, it's pretty small. We know this because there are now other sports networks (Fox Sports 1 for example), and their ratings are also suffering. It's not as if viewers who aren't watching ESPN because of "liberal bias" are switching channels. No one is watching Fox Sports, their viewership is horrible. I'm sure a few people are canceling out of dissent for any topic that isn't just scores/highlights, but that's a minuscule number compared to the trend of people just cord cutting in general. You don't need to be a cable subscriber anymore. Highlights and recaps are everywhere. On your phone, online.. anywhere.

Reactions: VCU Heel

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I mean, it's pretty small. We know this because there are now other sports networks (Fox Sports 1 for example), and their ratings are also suffering. It's not as if viewers who aren't watching ESPN because of "liberal bias" are switching channels. No one is watching Fox Sports, their viewership is horrible. I'm sure a few people are canceling out of dissent for any topic that isn't just scores/highlights, but that's a minuscule number compared to the trend of people just cord cutting in general. You don't need to be a cable subscriber anymore. Highlights and recaps are everywhere. On your phone, online.. anywhere.
The problem is I really can't get a good highlight package in the mornings. Maybe I could surf the web but frankly I just want to get a good recap of the games while I get ready for work in the mornings. Having to click on a bunch of links is not happening.

I just don't see how having a political slant either way would help their ratings. Would someone who does not care about sports all of a sudden turn on sportscenter to watch just because they have a 10 minute discussion between highlights?

Reactions: Newgate Prison
Apr 19, 2009
The problem is I really can't get a good highlight package in the mornings. Maybe I could surf the web but frankly I just want to get a good recap of the games while I get ready for work in the mornings. Having to click on a bunch of links is not happening.

I just don't see how having a political slant either way would help their ratings. Would someone who does not care about sports all of a sudden turn on sportscenter to watch just because they have a 10 minute discussion between highlights?
I mean, I guess I just don't see your POV here. SportsCenter in the morning is one of the shows I don't think has changed much at all. It's basically highlights and recaps right after each other. I've never really watched First Take or any of the debate style shows, but I can't see how early morning SportsCenter has been politicized whatsoever.