Big East Expansion?

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Below are links to a couple of articles that were published over the last couple of days talking about potential Big East expansion.

https://www.journalinquirer.com/spo...cle_f35b0238-fd5c-11e8-8df8-8f037a981e10.html

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...k-emmert-figuring-out-kentuckys-3-point-woes/

In the CBS Sports Court Report article, there is mention that "more than three schools" have approached the Big East regarding potential membership. One of those schools has to be UConn.

"Ackerman said the league was not in discussion about expansion right now, but when pressed, did admit that more than three schools have approached the Big East about potentially joining the conference."

"What schools make for ideal candidates? The rumor mill has consistently put out a litany of programs, many of them currently in the A-10, such as Saint Louis, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, Rhode Island, Davidson and Saint Joseph's. A source previously told me that Gonzaga even informally debated the idea. And of course, there's UConn, which has a fanbase aching to get back into the Big East. But it's football program and all the money attached to that currently stands as a logistical hurdle, if not 100-foot wall."

"Ackerman said any school up for consideration would have to check a lot of boxes before entering into real discussion.

"Geography would be important," she said. "Commitment to basketball would probably be the No. 1 thing, the notion that they would be additive as it relates to our basketball prospects. Are they going to help secure our chances every year of getting into the NCAA Tournament? Possible No. 2: Would they help us with our tournament? Would they bring fans to Madison Square Garden?"

The Catholic-school angle is also not insignificant. Butler, which is private and of similar makeup to the other nine, is the only non-Catholic institution in the Big East. There's also a high level of camaraderie and morale among the membership now, something that Ackerman noted wasn't there right before the old Big East fissured, when the league was bigger."

Clearly, UConn has the inside track to again becoming a member of the Big East. If the Big East were to expand by more than one school, the A10 is probably going to take a hit. Personally, I think fur is a dumpster fire right now and probably has the least chance of the A10 schools to move to the Big East. I also think Davidson is probably too far out of the Big East's geographic footprint. I also think Gonzaga is a stretch because of their geographic location, even if they are Gonzaga. That leaves 5 other A10 schools as potential candidates. It will be interesting to see if and when this plays out.

Let the speculation begin.

SoGetReady

Elite Member
There is going to be a lot of hurt feelings in the A10 if any of this is true, with VCU included as possibly outside looking in...

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Yesterday, I saw Gary Parrish tweet out that he thought Saint Louis was a good option.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
If they are looking at A10 teams you'd have to think that Dayton and SLU are 1 and 2 on the list. Committed to bball only, in markets currently untouched by the BE and both Catholic. Both may be a bit of a reach geographically. But Dayton's fanbase, especially, travels, they have a big arena, and they would surely add to the league's profile.

I'd say we are #3 on that mythical list. We meet every one of the acknowledged criteria and presumably they know we put as$es in the seats in Brooklyn. But we don't look like the other schools in any way. Bigger, more diverse, public, non-denominational, academically behind most but not all the others. Long shot at best.

I have to say that Ed needs to be proactive here. If SLU and Dayton left the A10, it could collapse or merely degenerate into a CAA type league, and I do not want VCU o be caught like we were in the collapse of the Metro.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Our biggest assets are we are a basketball school with great facilities, we are in the geographic area they are looking at (expanding south a bit), we would certainly support the tourney in MSG, probably better than anyone else on that list. Draw backs, we are a large state school, but we do have a cathedral practically on campus. Maybe we could have the Bishop put in a good word for us?

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Yesterday, I saw Gary Parrish tweet out that he thought Saint Louis was a good option.

Best fit for Creighton for sure now that Wichita State is in the AAC. I would also think Dayton is in the mix since they are the second closest school geographically to Creighton. , and a better basketball program historically than SLU.

92VCUpikapp

Elite Member
Our biggest assets are we are a basketball school with great facilities, we are in the geographic area they are looking at (expanding south a bit), we would certainly support the tourney in MSG, probably better than anyone else on that list. Draw backs, we are a large state school, but we do have a cathedral practically on campus. Maybe we could have the Bishop put in a good word for us?

I can make that happen. Just let me know.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I think there are only two realistic possible candidates. Dayton with a 3 out of 5 chance and St Louis with a 2 out of 5 chance. Dayton has the fan base that would travel, they seem content at the FCS level in football and they are Catholic. I don't know if SLU has a big enough travelling fan base and I don't know if they have done enough yet to prove a sustained value.
As much as they want Uconn back, FBS football is going to be a hurdle I don't think they can overcome. If they could then that would possible open the door for VCU because I feel they would be more an argument for adding another large public school. I don't see any scenario that includes VCU if Uconn is not a member

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Of the 7 schools you listed from the A10.... my guess would be Dayton, Saint Louis & Rhode Island.... would get the first shots with Saint Joes having an outside shot.

Like you said, Davidson is probably geographically a little too far out.... which would almost rule us out too cause we are not far from Davidson.... then again we are not far from Georgetown either.... and Richmond is in the same boat but they are also a hot mess of a basketball school anyway. Only thing Fur would have going for them is being a private school.

Dayton & SLU would give some of the Midwestern schools like Xavier, Marquette, Butler, Creighton & DePaul some more competition out west..... Rhode Island & Providence would only amp up their rivalry.... sorta like our rivalry with Fur amped back up even more when we joined the A10. Then you could also throw in Saint Joes who is close to Nova.

It'll be interesting to see what plays out.... I guess my biggest question would be..... If schools started getting poached from the A10 to go to the Big East..... where does VCU go next if the Big East & AAC won't take us?

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If they are looking at A10 teams you'd have to think that Dayton and SLU are 1 and 2 on the list. Committed to bball only, in markets currently untouched by the BE and both Catholic. Both may be a bit of a reach geographically. But Dayton's fanbase, especially, travels, they have a big arena, and they would surely add to the league's profile.

I'd say we are #3 on that mythical list. We meet every one of the acknowledged criteria and presumably they know we put as$es in the seats in Brooklyn. But we don't look like the other schools in any way. Bigger, more diverse, public, non-denominational, academically behind most but not all the others. Long shot at best.

I have to say that Ed needs to be proactive here. If SLU and Dayton left the A10, it could collapse or merely degenerate into a CAA type league, and I do not want VCU o be caught like we were in the collapse of the Metro.

UConn is clearly the front runner if there is any expansion. Dayton and SLU are on the board if the Big East expands by more than one school. VCU is clearly a distant fourth, and a long shot. My guess is the Big East only takes UConn, which leaves a potential opening in the AAC. The big question then is would the AAC want another non football school similar to Wichita State. If the answer to that question is yes, then I would think VCU would have the inside track over any other A10 school. UConn did play football in the AAC, though, and the AAC might want another football school to replace them.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Of the 7 schools you listed from the A10.... my guess would be Dayton, Saint Louis & Rhode Island.... would get the first shots with Saint Joes having an outside shot.

Like you said, Davidson is probably geographically a little too far out.... which would almost rule us out too cause we are not far from Davidson.... then again we are not far from Georgetown either.... and Richmond is in the same boat but they are also a hot mess of a basketball school anyway. Only thing Fur would have going for them is being a private school.

Dayton & SLU would give some of the Midwestern schools like Xavier, Marquette, Butler, Creighton & DePaul some more competition out west..... Rhode Island & Providence would only amp up their rivalry.... sorta like our rivalry with Fur amped back up even more when we joined the A10. Then you could also throw in Saint Joes who is close to Nova.

It'll be interesting to see what plays out.... I guess my biggest question would be..... If schools started getting poached from the A10 to go to the Big East..... where does VCU go next if the Big East & AAC won't take us?

Rhode Island and St. Joe's do not add anything to the Big East from a media market standpoint. The Philadelphia market already has Villanova and the Big East is not going to take both UConn and Rhode Island, who are basically 100 miles apart at best and basically in the same market as Providence. If anything, outside of landing UConn back in to the Big East, the Big East will be looking to expand their footprint geographically.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
UConn is clearly the front runner if there is any expansion. Dayton and SLU are on the board if the Big East expands by more than one school. VCU is clearly a distant fourth, and a long shot. My guess is the Big East only takes UConn, which leaves a potential opening in the AAC. The big question then is would the AAC want another non football school similar to Wichita State. If the answer to that question is yes, then I would think VCU would have the inside track over any other A10 school. UConn did play football in the AAC, though, and the AAC might want another football school to replace them.
Yeah, but they'd have to make a football-only affiliation and I am not sure how that would go over.