Big East Expansion?

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
Being in the A-10 allows VCU to be with universities whose first athletic priority in sports is basketball, not football. The A-10 for VCU , with the exception of St. Louis, is good for travel, especially our non revenue sports. The A-10 has several schools that have very limited financial resources, and will they be able to keep up with the needed cost of sports on a D1 level in the future? The AAC is a league made up of major research universities, like VCU. The AAC would definitely increase the travel costs for VCU, and would there be increased revenues through TV, etc., to offset those costs? Lastly, the A10 hurts VCU's non revenue sports, such as baseball, as we are basically in a one bid league for those sports. The AAC gives your non revenue sports a chance for multi bids to the NCAA tournament in that sport.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I might disagree. As Gonzaga has already proven, you can build an excellent program in a smaller conference. We could stay in the A10 and potentially become its flagship. That could be better than becoming just an average team in the AAC.
True. But I see us being in perennial top 4 team in the aac with a shot a multiple top recruits every year.

Dec 2, 2012
That's what ODU does in its OOC scheduling — mostly A10 and/or former CAA opponents (VCU, fur and W&M are immutable games), a couple of buy games, a buy game at a big school and an exempt tournament. This year, they're also hosting St. Joe's, JMU, UMES and most likely one other team TBD, visiting Northeastern, UNI and Illinois (their body-bag game), and playing in the Cayman Islands tournament (opening with Mason of all teams).

If VCU joined the AAC or Big East, they'd do the same thing. fur and ODU would be on the schedule always. JMU has done a pair of 2-and-1s with ODU so VCU could get that were they of a mind. Former A10 rivals would be an option as would former CAA ones. They'd do fine.
What is body bag game in this context?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Come on @Ramdog!!! You sound like the posters that wanted to stay in the CAA. How would that have worked out for VCU? We are ready for the next step, and this may be VCU's only opportunity.
I agree with Ramdog on this. The CAA to A10 conference is a much different scenario. In my opinion, AAC is probably the most unstable conference in the country and even more so now. UCF and Houston are not going to be there much longer in my opinion. We also have to understand that the P5 conferences have been discussing "assignment of rights" which attempts to separate themselves for non-P5 programs. A big reshuffling of conferences is on the horizon. If VCU did happen to get an AAC invitation it would be a leap to an unstable situation if they chose to accept. I have lived through the Metro conference debacle and I see the AAC as a very similar situation. I would advocate to stay in the A10 and I would bet the leaders of VCU feel the same way.

PS-if an invitation is extended to VCU the leadership will study it and make the decision that they feel is in the best interest of the athletic programs.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Come on @Ramdog!!! You sound like the posters that wanted to stay in the CAA. How would that have worked out for VCU? We are ready for the next step, and this may be VCU's only opportunity.
A10 considerably better than the CAA... I was all in on getting out of the CAA...don't want to join a football conference.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
And you don't think that was like winning the billion dollar lottery? How many times has VCU made it to the second weekend since that run?
That is a VCU issue ...not a league issue...how many final fours has DePaul been to

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I’ve really grown to enjoy the A-10. Dayton, St. Joes, Bonnies, Davidson, SLU, Rhodey. These are good programs. GW, UMass, U of R all good here and there. I think this has been a great fit for us. Jumping ship is always risky, especially to a place that might not be as stable as we’d like to think.

A-10 will be a monster next year. Possibly a top 6 or 7 conference. Momentum can continue to build. We’re in a great spot.

Feb 16, 2017
I think we should take an AAC invite. Bigger competition, better recruiting, better national exposure, we would overnight become a better known school nationwide. Makes all of our degrees become more valuable. Anything that boosts the caliber of the school is something we should pursue and the AAC is definitely of a higher caliber than the A-10. AAC provides legit potential to win a championship and it boosts all other sports. Do you guys think the A-10 wouldn’t welcome us back with open arms if it didn’t work out? Just curious about that one.
Agreed on all points assuming the numbers work of course.

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
VCU losing had nothing to do with Tacko Fall. UCF was bigger and stronger than us at every spot on the floor.

It's not as if we were going on big runs when Fall was on the bench.

Feb 16, 2017
I’ve really grown to enjoy the A-10. Dayton, St. Joes, Bonnies, Davidson, SLU, Rhodey. These are good programs. GW, UMass, U of R all good here and there. I think this has been a great fit for us. Jumping ship is always risky, especially to a place that might not be as stable as we’d like to think.

A-10 will be a monster next year. Possibly a top 6 or 7 conference. Momentum can continue to build. We’re in a great spot.
Even though the A-10 is good conference, it will be a multiple bid league every 3 years whereas the AAC is probably a multi-bid league on a yearly basis. Assuming the revenue is split is profitable (Yes, I am including travel expenses as being absorbed by a profitable revenue equation) this strikes me as a no brainer. Also, the AAC has is more appealing nationally. Let's face it, would you rather travel to Richmond to see us play Temple or Houston or St. Bonaventure or Fordham?

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM