Big East Expansion?

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
LSU still considers Tulane a rival. Go figure.

Not sure I agree with that, considering LSU pretty much stopped playing Tulane in all sports after the 2009 academic year. They do still play each other twice a year in baseball. LSU owned Tulane in football 69-22-7, with the last game played in 2009. In basketball, the series was closer (84-124), but Tulane was 2-23 in the last 25 meetings between the schools. They last played each other on 2008, with the exception of a hurricane relief charity game 2 years ago.

Not sure I agree with that, considering LSU pretty much stopped playing Tulane in all sports after the 2009 academic year. They do still play each other twice a year in baseball. LSU owned Tulane in football 69-22-7, with the last game played in 2009. In basketball, the series was closer (84-124), but Tulane was 2-23 in the last 25 meetings between the schools. They last played each other on 2008, with the exception of a hurricane relief charity game 2 years ago.
Back in the day, the old Tulane stadium was known as the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day. Held 83,000 for a school of less than 6,000. Will not forget a homemade banner hanging at a Tulane dorm in about 1966-67, on game day, it read LSUcks. Neat stuff.

vcu70

Elite Member
Back in the day, the old Tulane stadium was known as the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day. Held 83,000 for a school of less than 6,000. Will not forget a homemade banner hanging at a Tulane dorm in about 1966-67, on game day, it read LSUcks. Neat stuff.
And 3 Super Bowls played there was it? I think Tulane stadium may have been torn down a few years ago.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
And 3 Super Bowls played there was it? I think Tulane stadium may have been torn down a few years ago.

It was torn down in 1980. Tulane now plays in an on-campus stadium (Yulman Stadium), which was opened in 2014. It seats 30,000.

vcu70

Elite Member
It was torn down in 1980. Tulane now plays in an on-campus stadium (Yulman Stadium), which was opened in 2014. It seats 30,000.
My GF at the time we graduated got her first job in NO and had an apt right across the street. In my drunken stupor I could not resist urinating on the 50 yd line about midnight in 1970. Man that place was huge. Surely Tulane had some financial help from somebody to build it.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
My GF at the time we graduated got her first job in NO and had an apt right across the street. In my drunken stupor I could not resist urinating on the 50 yd line about midnight in 1970. Man that place was huge. Surely Tulane had some financial help from somebody to build it.

It was expanded over time to meet the needs of the Sugar Bowl prior to the Super Dome being built. Those expansions also allowed New Orleans to host 3 Super Bowls. Pretty sure Tulane gave the keys to the stadium to New Orleans to do whatever they wanted, as long as New Orleans was footing the bill.

While there has been no recent noise on this front, I was thinking today what sort of impact the move to the aac would have our ooc. As the A10 flagship program, we currently enjoy our pick of premier exempt tournaments. If we were in the aac we would have to share top tournaments and likely be stuck in some b tier tournaments some years. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

rvaram

Elite Member

I know this invloves a ton of what ifs, but playing a loaded Memphis team in a new 17,500 seat arena in downtown Richmond is a dream of mine. I really hope they get this done.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
While there has been no recent noise on this front, I was thinking today what sort of impact the move to the aac would have our ooc. As the A10 flagship program, we currently enjoy our pick of premier exempt tournaments. If we were in the aac we would have to share top tournaments and likely be stuck in some b tier tournaments some years. Just some food for thought.

VCU shares top tournaments now as part of A-10 membership. Most of the top tier tournaments have a commitment with conferences to take a team from their conference. If VCU is competitive in the AAC, nothing will change in that regards. If they can't be competitive in the AAC, then VCU is going to have bigger issues and never should have moved up in weight class.

VCU shares top tournaments now as part of A-10 membership. Most of the top tier tournaments have a commitment with conferences to take a team from their conference. If VCU is competitive in the AAC, nothing will change in that regards. If they can't be competitive in the AAC, then VCU is going to have bigger issues and never should have moved up in weight class.

Not true at all. Each tournament can only have 1 team from each conference. Even pk80 abides by the rules.

In the a10, whose as desirable as vcu? Maybe Dayton, SLU and....? Claiming otherwise is like saying UVA has problems because ooc tournaments like having Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame too.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Not true at all. Each tournament can only have 1 team from each conference. Even pk80 abides by the rules.

In the a10, whose as desirable as vcu? Maybe Dayton, SLU and....? Claiming otherwise is like saying UVA has problems because ooc tournaments like having Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame too.

That's what I stated. And, if you go back and read my post, I also stated if VCU was competitive in the AAC, nothing will change regarding pre-season tournament scheduling. The top teams in each league have to share the wealth. They can't go to the same pre-season tournaments every year. The top teams will always rotate between the tier one pre-season tournaments.