Big East Expansion?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I was thinking Temple being more likely. But I think Temple to the a10 is more likely in the coming years. Temple’s only realistic opportunity would be for the big10 the invite UVA UNC etc, then get included in the ACC backfill
That’s not realistic because UNC and UVA wouldn’t accept an invite to the Big Ten.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Yeah, I know UCONN has football, but their program is terrible. If you think Memphis, which is hoping for a B12 invite the next go-around, is going to join the Big East and have their football program go independent, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Memphis could have AAC football and Big East Olympics.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Why not? If it’s more money and stability.
It’s not more stability. The ACC is good to go for decades to come.

UNC and UVA aren’t leaving their traditional rivals. Maryland did it because Debbie Yow ran their athletic department’s budget into the ground and they needed the money in order to not cut a bunch of sports. Most of their fans hated the move and still hate it. They don’t even have a real rival in their new conference.

And the Board of Governors and state legislatures in those two state will not go along with it.

Newboy

Elite Member
It’s not more stability. The ACC is good to go for decades to come.

UNC and UVA aren’t leaving their traditional rivals. Maryland did it because Debbie Yow ran their athletic department’s budget into the ground and they needed the money in order to not cut a bunch of sports. Most of their fans hated the move and still hate it. They don’t even have a real rival in their new conference.

And the Board of Governors and state legislatures in those two state will not go along with it.
Would be awesome to see Maryland back in the ACC.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
I was thinking Temple being more likely. But I think Temple to the a10 is more likely in the coming years. Temple’s only realistic opportunity would be for the big10 the invite UVA UNC etc, then get included in the ACC backfill

I can't envision any scenario where UVA or UNC got pulled from the ACC

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
I love to throw the spaghetti against the wall and think it would be good for WVU and Maryland get to the magic number 16 for the ACC. They would be done at 16, and not have to worry about realignment funsies.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I love to throw the spaghetti against the wall and think it would be good for WVU and Maryland get to the magic number 16 for the ACC. They would be done at 16, and not have to worry about realignment funsies.
Maryland isn’t leaving the Big Ten now that they’re there.

The ACC has no interest in WVU. Cincinnati is a much better option than WVU.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Ok, I have to say something because I see this crap spewed all across the interwebs and regurgitated like it’s fact and I don’t want to see that happen in this group.

Media companies don’t tell conferences who needs to be in their conference or who they want in their conference.

I work in LA for the largest media and entertainment company in the world. We don’t do that and neither does FOX. We pay for what we are offered. If conferences were to say “what if we were to add such and such” to give us more programming options, that’s a different story. We would evaluate the proposal and suggest how much more we’d be willing to pay for the additional programming. THAT’S IT. We don’t tell conferences what to do or who we want, that’s not our business. We aren’t privy to all the inter-workings of conference management otherwise we’d be asking for conference makeups unlike anyone has ever seen.
You're right of course, but in practice I wonder how much practical difference there is between telling them who to add to their conference, which they don't do, and answering the question "how do we get more of your money." No way Fox says "you have to add DAY and VCU. It might absolutely say "adding DAY and VCU is worth $XXX more."

I really don't think the alleged "prestige" or sectarian differences mean squat (and as Heel pointed out, VCU and UConn are tier 1 research institutions and the rest of those clowns are not). The university presidents are not little fan boys who cling to things like "rooting interests." If they think it will add to the BE bottom line it will happen. If they don't it won't.

Last edited:

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Watching UConn football in real time right now and I'm asking myself why do they? The helmets are horrendous.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Shorting Disney??? Good luck with that.
Disney, although facing headwinds with the prolonged pandemic, is fine imo. ESPN is the one with the problems. DIS stock jumped 3% on a down market day earlier this month when rumors were swirling that DIS might be dumping ESPN. Bloated infrastrucure, channel conflict within the family, poor balance sheet, changing competitive landscape are just a start of the issues.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Disney, although facing headwinds with the prolonged pandemic, is fine imo. ESPN is the one with the problems. DIS stock jumped 3% on a down market day earlier this month when rumors were swirling that DIS might be dumping ESPN. Bloated infrastrucure, channel conflict within the family, poor balance sheet, changing competitive landscape are just a start of the issues.
None of those are new issues, why then do they persist?

Pretty simple, install base, quality live eyes, and customer level engagement. Even if they were a loss lead, the platform and authenticated user base are appreciating high value assets. Important to note though, they are not a loss lead with some of the highest carriage fees and overall carriage rates among MCOs.

You are right, management leaves much to be desired—but the platform, increased availability of low cost-high yield targeted content and inventory of premium live sports are big differentiators and they have been leading on digital transformation. Hardly a dinosaur, all the pieces are there—more on the poorly run—chronic, but solvable….maybe