Black And Gold 2021- Here We Go!

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
I have no worries about Vince. I predict Banks is going to be an offensive force, and I like what I see from Kern a lot; he has no fear. I just don't know if combined they are going to be able to fill the hole left by Bones in terms of getting their own.
I’ve got faith in Vince getting whatever shot he wants. Vince just has to be a little more selfish at times instead of looking to pass. He can get to the line whenever he wants and is strong enough to finish it against the vast majority of college bigs.

Like you, I’m also buying stock in Kern and Banks. Kern already looks like a kid that’s caught up to the speed of D1 hoops. He’s going to really help fill the void Jamir’s injury created. Banks will go nuclear on a few teams that leave him open; unlike Vince last night. Vince had zero interest in letting him get open looks. Banks looks poised to be next in line of the snipers we’ve had at VCU dating back to B.A. Walker’s days.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Great takes guys! Thanks for all the contributions and Go RAMS! And Go Colts! And Go Nuggets!

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
this would have probably been a lot more concise had I been able to write it down last night but it was way past the kids bedtime so I started that battle as soon as I got home instead so here we are!

things that stuck out to me
Ace-- good to see him out and about, dribbling and taking a few shots. Also noticed several times between periods he had various players aside and appeared to be offering some tips/advice on something he saw while they were playing. Doing the things that a true Floor General does and we know that this describes Ace 110%.

MBJ-- as others have said his conditioning seems well beyond where he was last season. He has the body and the tools to pretty much have his way out there, curious to see where his production will slot in this season and hoping for a huge sophomore jump

DeLoach-- good clean looks inside the three point line were few and far in between and this dude was a big reason for a lot of that. Too many trees in this forest of Rams and I think we are going to just absolutely smother a few teams because of it

Tsohonis-- took him a while to get things going it seemed, I was hoping to see more of his patented floater but only saw it twice as far as I recall. Hoping the exhibition and tune-up games get him feeling more comfortable because we are gonna need him to score the ball!

VINCE-- you will see me use this description for one other player later on but he was just effortlessly out there making all sorts of high level plays with and without the ball. I think if we again get exactly what we got out of him last season that would be just fine but it certainly feels and looks like he is poised to raise the bar on an All-conference Third Team season which is an exciting prospect

KeShawn-- I love Curry Magic. He has been the lock screen wallpaper on my phone for at least two years so it made me very happy to see him out there last night arguably the most explosive and athletic dude on the court. Like someone else said in this thread I hope that our murderer's row on the defensive end results in truckloads of easy fast break points for him.

Hendo-- Would have loved to have seen a little more run from him in the scrimmage but understood those minutes were precious. He did shine bright in the 3 point contest though to the delight of his teammates.

Big Haas-- This is my other effortlessly dominant performance. Still a human wrecking ball on defense but all sorts of slick moves and putbacks around the hoop. I wasn't paying much attention to the scoreboard for a big part of the game and after an especially impressive slam I checked the scoreboard and was kind of shocked that he had so smoothly and efficiently put up those numbers. I am ready to see Bones vs Haas in the NBA in 2022!

Jayden Nunn-- I could see why Coach has spoken so highly of him, another freshman PG that by all estimates is ready to step in to rock and roll day 1. He was getting pressed really hard when bringing the ball up many times and basically always broke the trap and got free (this also applies to Tso but more impressive and surprising to see out of a true freshman I suppose)

Nick Kern-- Such a fun player to watch, he is going to be a fan favorite in no time. Plays with such joyfulness you can EASILY see how much fun he is having out there while scoring at all levels AND playing defense with skills that would typically come in a package several inches shorter than him? Sign me up for as much of this young man as we can get!

Josh Bank$-- Didn't get to show off his three point stroke as much as I had hoped last night but makes up for it with nifty finishes around the rim. Always moving and working, I expect him to make a nice Sophomore jump along with MBJ.

Cadillac Stock-- Appears to have trimmed down a bit as well but still enough size to bang with virtually any big that we will come across. Very adept at finding his spots, still has a smooth midrange game, and got multiple bags of tricks to get the ball in the hoop down low. Several plays where he would fake out not one, not two, but three defenders to score at the rim. I think being his second season in the program is going to pay dividends.

Jimmy Nichols-- First off, I am not buying that he is 6'8" dude looks distinctly bigger than that. Rare to see someone with his size have the smooth shot and move as fluidly as he does. One more sequoia in the forest that the opposing team will have to navigate on their way to the hoop.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
I'm really excited about what I saw from Kern. His size, length, and fearlessness will really be needed in the Bahamas. If he can hit some 3s against that Syracuse zone, watch out, world!

BradRamFan

Elite Member
looking at the stat sheet, the black team got killed on the boards....30-13. Hasan had 8 boards for the Gold.
It will be interesting to see how the rotation works and/or changes throughout the season. I know some guys shined in the B&G but from the coaches show the other day, some of those guys still need some work. But we are down 3 players so it does open things up a bit for players to step up.
Really need Curry to step up (well he was a starter at the beginning of last year) and Banks must step up too. Banks is supposed to be a shooter....he is going to have to shoot and make them.
Where were Levi and Nichols shooting from on the court? Combined they were 3-10. And I hope it was just first game jitters for Tsohonis because he was 1-9

Unfortunately we have few injuries. This team was loaded. Next man up and we can still do damage.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
looking at the stat sheet, the black team got killed on the boards....30-13. Hasan had 8 boards for the Gold.
It will be interesting to see how the rotation works and/or changes throughout the season. I know some guys shined in the B&G but from the coaches show the other day, some of those guys still need some work. But we are down 3 players so it does open things up a bit for players to step up.
Really need Curry to step up (well he was a starter at the beginning of last year) and Banks must step up too. Banks is supposed to be a shooter....he is going to have to shoot and make them.
Where were Levi and Nichols shooting from on the court? Combined they were 3-10. And I hope it was just first game jitters for Tsohonis because he was 1-9
1. Expecting seniors to take a big leap is unrealistic. Curry and Levi are who they are and have been.

2. Claiming that "black team got killed on the boards" is . . . interesting. MBJ played for both (4 boards for one, 3 for the other). Jalen DeLoach Black is a terrible rebounder (0) but Jalen Deloach Gold is awesome (3 rebounds). Key Black is a HORRIBLE rebounder (0) but Key Gold is FANTASTIC (5).

3. The stat sheet after a B&G game is fool's gold. Or fool's black, which got killed on the boards.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
1. Expecting seniors to take a big leap is unrealistic. Curry and Levi are who they are and have been.

2. Claiming that "black team got killed on the boards" is . . . interesting. MBJ played for both (4 boards for one, 3 for the other). Jalen DeLoach Black is a terrible rebounder (0) but Jalen Deloach Gold is awesome (3 rebounds). Key Black is a HORRIBLE rebounder (0) but Key Gold is FANTASTIC (5).

3. The stat sheet after a B&G game is fool's gold. Or fool's black, which got killed on the boards.
Solution: Wear gold jerseys every game and go undefeated.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Man, they gotta go with a vaccine mandate.
It has to be about $. I heard last night that they have around 1,700 season tickets left to sell. My guess is people do not want to deal with going during a pandemic and the only protocol being a mask. It is ridiculous. I had a dude a row in front of me swilling beer and yelling the entire game. People would come up and pull down their mask to talk to me.

Anyway, I wanted to mention the crowd last night. It was one of the largest I can remember but it did not look that way because they had the entire Stu open. If they had that black curtain for this game it would have been packed on the south side and behind both baskets.