Black And Gold 2021- Here We Go!

JDI

Insider
It has to be about $. I heard last night that they have around 1,700 season tickets left to sell. My guess is people do not want to deal with going during a pandemic and the only protocol being a mask. It is ridiculous. I had a dude a row in front of me swilling beer and yelling the entire game. People would come up and pull down their mask to talk to me.

Anyway, I wanted to mention the crowd last night. It was one of the largest I can remember but it did not look that way because they had the entire Stu open. If they had that black curtain for this game it would have been packed on the south side and behind both baskets.
Pretty sure it is about money. There was a article in the paper a few weeks ago talking about the amount of money they lost this year due to the drop in student enrollment. That came out right after they decided not to drop any student who did not get vaccinated. It has carried over into attendance at sporting events as they are hurting for money and need all that they can get.

I believe they announced the attendance around 2300 which is down from games in the past.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
616b8a390cf26.image.jpg

BradRamFan

Elite Member
1. Expecting seniors to take a big leap is unrealistic. Curry and Levi are who they are and have been.

2. Claiming that "black team got killed on the boards" is . . . interesting. MBJ played for both (4 boards for one, 3 for the other). Jalen DeLoach Black is a terrible rebounder (0) but Jalen Deloach Gold is awesome (3 rebounds). Key Black is a HORRIBLE rebounder (0) but Key Gold is FANTASTIC (5).

3. The stat sheet after a B&G game is fool's gold. Or fool's black, which got killed on the boards.
So, based on #1 above, you are saying that Vince will be like he was last year.....got it.

I expect more from Key this year than last. He was a starter in the early part of the season. I expect you will see him start this year too. I expect him to play better....he better because outside of Banks, we don't have any experienced 2 guards. (I guess Kern and Tsohonis could play the two position if needed). But I'm not expecting a lot (of minutes or production from Kern early in the season).
As far as Levi, it depends on his role on the team. If he is going to play under the basket, I expect better. To be honest, I don't want Ward, Levi or Nichols to be shooting 3's or outside of 5-8 feet from the basket......but I have a feeling that Ward wants to shoot more threes this year and Nichols wants to be more of an outside shooter too

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Kind of surprised that vcu hasn't posted any videos at all of the B&G event. Perhaps they wait until the work week to get some up. Or maybe they won't post because they don't want Cuse or other teams to see what we have with all the new faces.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Pretty sure it is about money. There was a article in the paper a few weeks ago talking about the amount of money they lost this year due to the drop in student enrollment. That came out right after they decided not to drop any student who did not get vaccinated. It has carried over into attendance at sporting events as they are hurting for money and need all that they can get.

I believe they announced the attendance around 2300 which is down from games in the past.
I have been to all of the B&G games and with the Stu completely open it was hard to tell. It just seemed to me that if you brought the north side over to the south side it would have been packed around to behind both baskets.

This was the south side and the north side looked about the same.
photo.jpg

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
I have been to all of the B&G games and with the Stu completely open it was hard to tell. It just seemed to me that if you brought the north side over to the south side it would have been packed around to behind both baskets.

This was the south side and the north side looked about the same.
photo.jpg

hey! don't post a picture of me without my permission :lol:

and to the subject of tickets sold or not sold it is a shame that the sellout streak likely comes to an end this season but it's not for anything the program has done wrong (although I can guarantee our resident self-hating cockroaches will rejoice when it happens).

It's sad to think of all the folks that have passed away and would have been there, people who don't feel comfortable being in crowds and want to be there, and those whose financial situations may have changed due to covid and can't find it in the budget to get out.

Last edited:

PhantomRam

Elite Member
It has to be about $. I heard last night that they have around 1,700 season tickets left to sell.
I'll just put this out there.... I was a 15 year season ticket holder and donor and did not renew either for various & many reasons. Not that I have to have my back slapped and a personal thank you from Ed (I was a fairly minimal donor anyway), but not one email, not one phone call, not one letter from VCU saying thank you for past support and BTW, we really need your support his year. NOTHING! I would think if you have tickets to sell and need the money you start with prior supporters. Not the case, at least with me anyway.

So, I will probably buy single game tickets, save some money and have the same interaction with the athletic department that I have always had, NONE.

Now, if I could just get the VCU alumni association from emailing me twice a week.........:D

RamDanFan

Elite Member
It has to be about $. I heard last night that they have around 1,700 season tickets left to sell. My guess is people do not want to deal with going during a pandemic and the only protocol being a mask. It is ridiculous. I had a dude a row in front of me swilling beer and yelling the entire game. People would come up and pull down their mask to talk to me.

Anyway, I wanted to mention the crowd last night. It was one of the largest I can remember but it did not look that way because they had the entire Stu open. If they had that black curtain for this game it would have been packed on the south side and behind both baskets.

So are you saying that if the available market of ticket purchasers contracts to those vaccinated only, then they would be able to sell more tickets?

Spit balling here, but could they also be forced to provide refunds to unvaccinated season ticket holders if they mandated vaccination?

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Random note but since I no longer have a computer that can edit video (it got in a fight with a large open water bottle and lost) and since our video editor usually in attendance wasn't there, our video is delayed...BUT we will have video highlights soon enough.