Black And Gold 2021- Here We Go!

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I’ll be at every game because I was born to go to every VCU game I can because it’s in my blood.
I used to walk down Broad and cut over to Leigh at 2nd street. We would walk by hookers to see the VCU Rams play. My soph, junior and senior year I could sit where I wanted. Heck back then they let people smoke in the seats. Ha!

goruck

Elite Member
Insider
Just got back from Nashville to see Zach Brown....every bar on Broadway was packed beyond belief with no mask mandates. However the concert required proof of Vaccine or negative test within the last 72 hours and let's just say if you are hoping rented security will keep you safe from the virus you should just stay home...lol

Really looking forward to going back in November to cheer on the Rams!

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
So, based on #1 above, you are saying that Vince will be like he was last year.....got it.

I expect more from Key this year than last. He was a starter in the early part of the season. I expect you will see him start this year too. I expect him to play better....he better because outside of Banks, we don't have any experienced 2 guards. (I guess Kern and Tsohonis could play the two position if needed). But I'm not expecting a lot (of minutes or production from Kern early in the season).
As far as Levi, it depends on his role on the team. If he is going to play under the basket, I expect better. To be honest, I don't want Ward, Levi or Nichols to be shooting 3's or outside of 5-8 feet from the basket......but I have a feeling that Ward wants to shoot more threes this year and Nichols wants to be more of an outside shooter too
I expect the player we saw from Vince last year: 41% from 3, 7+ rebounds and 15+ points per 40. He'll have more opportunities this year but be approximately yhe same player he has been. I think the same will be true for Key and Levi

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I expect the player we saw from Vince last year: 41% from 3, 7+ rebounds and 15+ points per 40. He'll have more opportunities this year but be approximately yhe same player he has been. I think the same will be true for Key and Levi
If Vince can do that with Nunn playing well as a freshman and Ward giving the Rams a great season things should be fine. Those three are keys to me that will open up things for the other players.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Supposedly, levi lost significant weight and added more muscle from last year. If true, he may have more lateral quickness on the defensive end to cover pick and rolls and post up offensively. In addition, he has a full year in our system. All this could mean significantly more assertive and effective levi at both ends of floor. We needs this because it will take time for nichols and deloach to acclimate to in-game situations in this system.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Fun to watch the video to remind me of what I think I remembered really liking from the B&G game: Jayden Nunn.

To me he just flashed a bit of everything. Looks SUPER poised for a freshman, which is exactly what I heard about him prior to watching him myself.

Also if you watch the highlights you'll see a few things from Hason that were almost scary. Just him dribbling to the hole instead of just finishing on oops and putbacks, he had a nice little backdoor pass that I think Banks finished (seen him do that before though), and just showing a more confident, well-rounded game. His ceiling is extremely high.

Also praying we get this version of KeShawn all season. That was definitely the best I've ever seen him play.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Fun to watch the video to remind me of what I think I remembered really liking from the B&G game: Jayden Nunn.

To me he just flashed a bit of everything. Looks SUPER poised for a freshman, which is exactly what I heard about him prior to watching him myself.

Also if you watch the highlights you'll see a few things from Hason that were almost scary. Just him dribbling to the hole instead of just finishing on oops and putbacks, he had a nice little backdoor pass that I think Banks finished (seen him do that before though), and just showing a more confident, well-rounded game. His ceiling is extremely high.

Also praying we get this version of KeShawn all season. That was definitely the best I've ever seen him play.
The only thing that worried me a little from watching the scrimmage was turnovers. They have to tighten that up if this team will be good. Some of the turnovers were due to pressure but some were just lackadaisical passes.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
The only thing that worried me a little from watching the scrimmage was turnovers. They have to tighten that up if this team will be good. Some of the turnovers were due to pressure but some were just lackadaisical passes.

Yeah and I think some of that miiiight be a combination of two things: 1) first game back jitters and 2) playing against your own team, not being as locked in/concerned.

Also just the fact that both offenses are playing against VCU (No.14 nationally last year, No.9 in turnover percentage) plays a part of that. Most teams struggled against that last year themselves.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Yeah and I think some of that miiiight be a combination of two things: 1) first game back jitters and 2) playing against your own team, not being as locked in/concerned.

Also just the fact that both offenses are playing against VCU (No.14 nationally last year, No.9 in turnover percentage) plays a part of that. Most teams struggled against that last year themselves.
Yeah. Some of the passes were nonchalant. I remember a really bad pass DeLoach made to a player less than a foot from him. Kind of just swatted it instead of making a two handed deliberate pass. We need to protect the ball for this team to be successful.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Yeah. Some of the passes were nonchalant. I remember a really bad pass DeLoach made to a player less than a foot from him. Kind of just swatted it instead of making a two handed deliberate pass. We need to protect the ball for this team to be successful.
I'm not going to worry too much about that unless we commit a ton of turnovers during the "secret" scrimmage this weekend.