BLOCK PARTY

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I've tried to explain what Shaffer Court used to be like to my VCU daughter. She just calls me old. She's not wrong.
Red+Hot+Chili+Peppers+Opening+Act.jpg

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
My Grandfather (mom's father) owned the adjoined house turned house(s) back in the 40s which sat there, when she was young. 38 rooms or so I was told. Her mom rented them out to all kinds of shady characters, thus came their affiliations with some notorious people.
Their restaurants Johnny's Steakhouse and The Persian Room were across from The Stu where that grass lot is now.. which afterward became New Horizons Cafe.

RAMBALLFAN

Elite Member
I've tried to explain what Shaffer Court used to be like to my VCU daughter. She just calls me old. She's not wrong.
She may not be wrong, but gone are the days when so many people with differing perspectives can get together in a single place and get hammered for under $5! 🍺

And after the show they could come see me at the Library pub and restaurant to keep the fun roll’n! Good Times!!!

Last edited:

SteveMM

Elite Member
I got to VCU in `90 and will admit that I didn't hang out at Schaffer that much. On Friday nights I was usually found under a table at Crazy Charlie's after the 7-9pm quarter drafts.

RAMBALLFAN

Elite Member
You used to work at the Library? I loved that joint!
Yep, Bartender. Came there from the Shockoe Slip Cafe. I worked for Cavallero at the Cafe, and when he opened the Library i worked there for about a year while I finished grad school. Every Thur, Fri, and Sat. primarily at the down stairs bar. Happy Times!

Ramaholic

Elite Member
These younguns just have no idea how much fun VCU was back in the day!
I know!! And it was so much less expensive. Even after you factor inflation. I guess i understand parents wanting there kids to have all the luxuries life can provide. But man, there was something so special about going to college in the 80's early 90s (and before). Back then college (at least at VCU) taught you how to be independent. Now not so much it seems.