Bob McKillup Retires

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
I'm about to turn 60 and have a 16 year old. Retirement isn't a word that's in my vocabulary. And even if I could what would I do?

rammad90

Elite Member
Verizon at 491/2 in Jan.1997
Much like my sisters you had to start at around 18 or 19. Both mine did rode the growth, got promoted into exec leadership, undergrad, and 2 Masters each one from GW, and both got 7 figure payouts for retirement.

Verizon wasnt for me. I couldn't take the monotony of their entry level jobs. However, Verizon (C&P and all iterations) was a great company back in the 70's, 80's. and 90's.

I applaud people who have the courage to move on from something they have been doing for 30 plus years. I think it helps with growth. We need to give other people a chance to move up as we move out.

If you've been there a while move on to something else. McKillop had a good run and was at Davidson a long time. Time to give someone else a shot. Now I am not a fan of hiring this son. Nepotism and Cronyism typically hurts organizations. Some may disagree.

However, it was time for him to step aside and give someone else a shot.

rammad90

Elite Member
I'm about to turn 60 and have a 16 year old. Retirement isn't a word that's in my vocabulary. And even if I could what would I do?
I am in the same Ball Park as you. Except my child is way younger and I am only a couple of years younger than you.

Fwiw, I enjoy what I do and would like to do it in some form until I cannot anymore. However, I dont see myself ever dong the employer-employee thing again.

I see myself working, volunteering at least part time unit the day I fall off this rock.

RESRam

Insider
I retired over 20 years ago and remember asking myself, after the first few months, how in the world I ever worked AND got all the other home related stuff done while I was still working.

Last edited:

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I retired over 20 years ago and remember asking myself, after the first few months, how in the world I ever worked AND got all the other home related stuff done I was still doing.
I emulate men from your era. Hardworking guys that worked a career then came home to mow the lawn, fix appliances, maintain the car(s), make home improvements by hand and still make time for building memories with the kids. Guys back then didnt care about fashion, having a dad bod -there wasnt time to work out or play in a rec league. You were busy taking on the world and beating it. My dad would come home from work, work around the house, maybe play catch with me or drive over to a minor league baseball game at the 6th inning when they et people in for free. He would sit in his chair at 10:30pm and doze off within 5 minutes. He never had time for binge watching tv shows or even know what shows were on TV. He didnt have time for a guys weekend with old friends or follow blogs about sports teams or keeping up with social events. Most of all, he was my dad and not my pal when I was growing up. I am sure that wasn't easy for him, but he knew he needed to be the heavy parent so I would be able to grow up right. . Sure they looked older at 40, 50 and 60 than men do today. But that generation of men (and the ones prior) knew how to be protectors and providers despite what obstacles came about. My dad and all my friends dads put family first. I dont remember any of them having any pursuits other than their purpose -providing and protecting for there family.
Happy fathers day to all the dads!!

Last edited:

PhantomRam

Elite Member
I was forcibly retired (fired) when PE took over the company in which I had a ~ 40 year career. I was 59. I sat at home for 2 months pondering my future, I won't bore you with the details. But quite frankly, not working was not an option for me. Not due to economics but purely from a self value standpoint. But I didn't want to go back into the business I was in. I wanted something less mental and more physical. Sometimes change is good. I make probably 25% of what I did make, but I am having the time of my life in my new career (it is nice to have FU money, but for now I wake up every morning and can't wait to go to work). To piggyback on Ramaholic's posting above, since I was 14 yo's old, work is all I have ever known.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Sorry to see one of the greats go. Incredible career. They'll miss him badly down there.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I went to review his career. I wonder if he would have made it so long at VCU with his minimal NCAA appearances and lack of NCAA wins other than the Elite 8 year. I guess it kind of mirrors VCU in that they win and win a bunch with one NCAA run but I was kind of surprised when I crunched his numbers in the postseason.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I went to review his career. I wonder if he would have made it so long at VCU with his minimal NCAA appearances and lack of NCAA wins other than the Elite 8 year. I guess it kind of mirrors VCU in that they win and win a bunch with one NCAA run but I was kind of surprised when I crunched his numbers in the postseason.

McKillop also spent the bulk of his career in the Southern Conference. That has to factor into his post season success. Even the CAA was a better conference than the Southern Conference when VCU was in the CAA.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
McKillop also spent the bulk of his career in the Southern Conference. That has to factor into his post season success. Even the CAA was a better conference than the Southern Conference when VCU was in the CAA.
Let's give McKillupp his due. Great coach and recruiter regardless of the conference. His teams did OK in the A10 as well. 634 wins and a .625 career winning percentage doesn't suck. If it weren't for having Mike, I'd have no problem with him running this show.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
They weren’t exactly slouches though. Davidson regularly played and beat P5 teams during the 2000s and were ranked on a few occasions.