Bob McKillup Retires

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Let's give McKillupp his due. Great coach and recruiter regardless of the conference. His teams did OK in the A10 as well. 634 wins and a .625 career winning percentage doesn't suck. If it weren't for having Mike, I'd have no problem with him running this show.
McKillop has been a great coach at Davidson. Whether that would have translated to VCU or not who knows. They are two very different schools. McKillop obviously thrived at Davidson. Would he have thrived at VCU? Maybe so, maybe not. Fit matters with coaches and schools too. I think McKillop and Davidson were a great fit. I'm hoping that the long run proves VCU and Mike Rhoades to be a great fit too.
We'll see how the younger McKillop turns out at Davidson. Another 33 years of great fit? We don't know yet.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
They weren’t exactly slouches though. Davidson regularly played and beat P5 teams during the 2000s and were ranked on a few occasions.
He is 3-10 in the NCAA Tournament. All 3 wins came in 2008 with Steph Curry. He’s also 3-8 in the NIT.

Without Steph Curry, his NCAA/NIT record is 2-16.

Lefty Driesell actually has more NCAA Tournament wins (5) at Davidson than Bob McKillop (3). Driesell also has a much better winning percentage (.730) at Davidson than McKillop (.625).

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
They weren’t exactly slouches though. Davidson regularly played and beat P5 teams during the 2000s and were ranked on a few occasions.

And that was pretty amazing considering that Davidson was playing in the Southern Conference. And for those posters discounting McKillop's NCAA record because his wins came with Curry at Davidson, he did convince Curry to come to Davidson and stay until he went pro. No other college coach took that kind of chance on Curry, including Seth Greenberg at Virginia Tech.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
And that was pretty amazing considering that Davidson was playing in the Southern Conference. And for those posters discounting McKillop's NCAA record because his wins came with Curry at Davidson, he did convince Curry to come to Davidson and stay until he went pro. No other college coach took that kind of chance on Curry, including Seth Greenberg at Virginia Tech.
I was the one that brought up his lack of NCAA appearances and wins. I am not discounting his overall wins record but you mentioned the Southern Conference and that was a place he stacked wins. Anyway, he has his name on their court and he has lots and lots of wins. NCAA appearances not so many.