WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Very true. No need to get too hyped up yet. But he sure did check the "impress during Summer League" box. I have a feeling he'll check off a few more once the season starts, and wouldn't be surprised if he spends most of the season with the main roster even if the plan now is to get him time in Grand Rapids.
I think he’s in a good spot right now. Even if he begins the season in Grand Rapids I have a feeling he won’t be there too long.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I think he’s in a good spot right now. Even if he begins the season in Grand Rapids I have a feeling he won’t be there too long.
Keep in mind the NBA season kicks off October 19th and the G League doesn't start until afterward (don't believe there's an announced date yet). Even if we assume he's outside the rotation due to defense/coaching preference/whatever, any injury to a backcourt player means a call up. For the record, I am not operating under the assumption he'll be outside the rotation after training camp - defense/coaching preference or not, I'm quite confident it's going to be difficult to say we want to roll with Facundo Compazzo and Austin Rivers over Bones Hyland (particularly given Murray's recovery timetable).

Last edited:

BGDragoon80

Insider
What will be determined during training camp is whether Bones potential, shooting ability and skills outperform the journeyman Austin Rivers. (I believe he has been on 6 teams since being drafted 10th in 2012). If the Nuggets are comfortable with living with Bones making rookie mistakes, the Nuggets could release Rivers or another guard on the present roster.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
What will be determined during training camp is whether Bones potential, shooting ability and skills outperform the journeyman Austin Rivers. (I believe he has been on 6 teams since being drafted 10th in 2012). If the Nuggets are comfortable with living with Bones making rookie mistakes, the Nuggets could release Rivers or another guard on the present roster.
I just do not think Bones has much downside after watching him lead the summer league team. I was impressed with his decision making and unselfish play. If he gets an opportunity with the core group as a 6th or 7th man off the bench he will thrive with space. He would rack up assists and be a killer with open looks due to hedging toward players like Jokić. Yesterday he should have gotten a double double because the team left over 5 assists off the board. He set guys up with some wide open looks. I am sure Bones will make them think long and hard how to handle him in their rotation.

Last edited:

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
I just do not think Bones has much downside after watching him lead the summer league team. I was impressed with his decision making and unselfish play. If he gets an opportunity with the core group of as a 6th or 7th man off the bench he will thrive with space. He would rack up assists and be a killer with open looks due to hedging toward players like Jokić. Yesterday he should have gotten a double double because the team left over 5 assists off the board. He set guys up with some wide open looks. I am sure Bones will make them think long and hard how to handle him in their rotation.

darn, the staff outnumbers the players 2:1 almost even for Summer League

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I just do not think Bones has much downside after watching him lead the summer league team. I was impressed with his decision making and unselfish play. If he gets an opportunity with the core group of as a 6th or 7th man off the bench he will thrive with space. He would rack up assists and be a killer with open looks due to hedging toward players like Jokić. Yesterday he should have gotten a double double because the team left over 5 assists off the board. He set guys up with some wide open looks. I am sure Bones will make them think long and hard how to handle him in their rotation.

Any word on Murray's status after his injury last season? do they expect him to be good to go to start the year?

I think between what Bones showed in pre-season & Murray's possible questionable status health wise early on.... Bones will get a bunch of playing time this year as long as he plays smart & stays healthy. Obviously he's a rookie, so he's gonna have his share of mistakes... but how does he respond & bounce back from them. If he plays smart, stays healthy & remains calm & composed under pressure... he'll be just fine.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Any word on Murray's status after his injury last season? do they expect him to be good to go to start the year?

I think between what Bones showed in pre-season & Murray's possible questionable status health wise early on.... Bones will get a bunch of playing time this year as long as he plays smart & stays healthy. Obviously he's a rookie, so he's gonna have his share of mistakes... but how does he respond & bounce back from them. If he plays smart, stays healthy & remains calm & composed under pressure... he'll be just fine.
January or February at the earliest for Murray. That's probably optimistic.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

January or February at the earliest for Murray. That's probably optimistic.
Yep. I keep seeing February as a return month from their beat writers.