AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

Bones Hyland, Denver Nuggets

Hyland acquitted himself well at Summer League, showcasing his shot-making skills and making fairly good decisions, averaging 19.8 points in four games and making 40% of his threes on nearly nine attempts per game. The Nuggets are enthralled with his creative, unorthodox game, and he could be another find—it was actually his passing skills that stood out the most in this setting, and he’s a much more unselfish, capable playmaker than he showed in college. While it may not be this season, he has a legit chance to be a useful bench scorer at some point.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member

Bones Hyland, Denver Nuggets

Hyland acquitted himself well at Summer League, showcasing his shot-making skills and making fairly good decisions, averaging 19.8 points in four games and making 40% of his threes on nearly nine attempts per game. The Nuggets are enthralled with his creative, unorthodox game, and he could be another find—it was actually his passing skills that stood out the most in this setting, and he’s a much more unselfish, capable playmaker than he showed in college. While it may not be this season, he has a legit chance to be a useful bench scorer at some point.
I love Bones (and VCU) getting press, but a lot of it is a good reminder that a fairly large percentage of pundits don't actually watch that many games/players. Bones has never been a selfish player, he was just far and away our best scorer and knew the right play was often calling his own number. Nobody who throws cross court passes to a streaking big immediately after getting a rebound is any kind of selfish.

Not to say there's anything wrong with it or that they can necessarily do better - there are a ton of prospects to keep track of and limited time/ability to do so. Some of the perspectives from Nuggets reporters, fans, and bloggers have made me chuckle is all. I have a feeling Bones will open some more eyes in the relatively near future.

This is the NBA, probably the toughest league in the world to "stick" in and the time span to do that is relatively short. There are far more forgotten 1st round draft picks than stars. Not throwing shade on him by any stretch of the imagination. But let's face it, the odds are still against him. He is not elite level talent, for the A-10 yes, for the NBA, he's fringe at best. I hope like heck he makes it, But there are lots of players looking for those 64 guard spots in the NBA, he has to separate from the pack, party time is over. He will need to do it wherever he is given the opportunity, training camp, summer league, or the G-league, doesn't matter. Great, he got drafted, he's all ready beat some long odds, but now the real work begins.
Just got back from vacation. Man what were yall smoking last week?

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
giphy.gif

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
He wore #3 for the Jazz then switched to #6 when he went to OKC because #3 wasn’t available, and he wore #6 for most of the rest of his NBA career (he wore #11 during his stint with the 76ers).
you would be correct... & I got all hist NBA Jerseys signed & his VCU one (from the 6th man Rewards) signed too ;)

rammad90

Elite Member
I love Bones (and VCU) getting press, but a lot of it is a good reminder that a fairly large percentage of pundits don't actually watch that many games/players. Bones has never been a selfish player, he was just far and away our best scorer and knew the right play was often calling his own number. Nobody who throws cross court passes to a streaking big immediately after getting a rebound is any kind of selfish.

Not to say there's anything wrong with it or that they can necessarily do better - there are a ton of prospects to keep track of and limited time/ability to do so. Some of the perspectives from Nuggets reporters, fans, and bloggers have made me chuckle is all. I have a feeling Bones will open some more eyes in the relatively near future.
While I agree that most of the pundits dont have a lot of game knowledge, they do have film. Bones wasnt selfish as a player. However, the position Mike put him in to be the shoot first guy at most times, did make it look as if that was his mentality and/or style of play.

We all say Bones in his freshman year playing point and knew he could capability play the position. Most watched Bones last year when he was merely letting it fly. Again, by design not because he was selfish.

Fwiw, if you look at his 1.8 and 2.1 assist average and then his 1.2 and 3.1 turnover average that doesnt really speak to a pass first guy.

Bones can play the point, he does turn it over a bit (but that will change with minutes) and he isnt a selfish playe. Just a guy who can shoot the rock and one who's team wouldn't have won as many games if he handnt been "selfish"

At the end of the day, if you dont know what VCU is running and you dont know Bones, even if you watch his college games you might see what you believe to be a selfish player even though that isnt the case.

Last edited: