mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
While I agree that most of the pundits dont have a lot of game knowledge, they do have film. Bones wasnt selfish as a player. However, the position Mike put him in to be the shoot first guy at most times, did make it look as if that was his mentality and/or style of play.

We all say Bones in his freshman year playing point and knew he could capability play the position. Most watched Bones last year when he was merely letting it fly. Again, by design not because he was selfish.

Fwiw, if you look at his 1.8 and 2.1 assist average and then his 1.2 and 3.1 turnover average that doesnt really speak to a pass first guy.

Bones can play the point, he does turn it over a bit (but that will change with minutes) and he isnt a self's guy. Just a guy who can shoot the rock and one who's team wouldn't have won as many games if he handnt been "selfish"

At the end of the day, if you dont know what VCU is running and you dont know Bones, even if you watch his college games you might see what you believe to be a selfish player even though that isnt the case.
I would posit if they watched the film, they would correctly find, as many did prior to the draft, that he is quite a good passer although he generally looked to score in college.

Hops

Elite Member
Insider
So they named the 1st and second all Summer League teams - and Bones got snubbed. Ridiculous given his stats and clear team leadership. He bested most on the first and second teams in PPG, 3PM, Assists, and Blocks. Trey Murphy and Obi Toppin both made the first team.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
So they named the 1st and second all Summer League teams - and Bones got snubbed. Ridiculous given his stats and clear team leadership. He bested most on the first and second teams in PPG, 3PM, Assists, and Blocks. Trey Murphy and Obi Toppin both made the first team.
More fuel for the fire.

He missed a game and Denver stunk. He definitely was one of the best 10 players in Summer League so I wouldn't read too much into it.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
What is significant is that the Denver brasses believes that Bones may very well be a rotational player on the roster this season.
Other than the summer league coach can you link where the brass has said that? Yesterday they hired Jason Terry to coach Grand Rapids and I kept seeing talk about him teaching Bones. I see more about them bringing him along slowly than talk of him being a rotation player.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
E9QbtMjVEAME3fi

VCU Heel

Elite Member
That Memphis 2 gamer might be worth a trip. I’m off for that stretch and I’ve never been there. Depending on Covid and if Bones is playing, that might become a trip for me.