WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
And to add on to that… what about the people on Twitter who may not have any connection to VCU whatsoever but are Denver Nuggets fans/donors/ticket holders…. That want Bones to play.
Not to mention the huge number of Bones fans from Delaware with no connection to VCU or the Nuggets but who just want to see Bones succeed.

But yeah, Bones getting to hype up the crowd before the Nuggets' home opener really drove home just how much Nuggets fans with no connection to VCU really love Bones, and Nuggets Twitter was flabbergasted by Bones not getting any minutes.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I like to imagine some mythical sophisticated core of elite social media users, who have troubled themselves to form a negative consensus opinion about VCU basketball fans, specifically, as a group. Heady stuff.
Art, you seem like a good guy, but if you don't believe the power elite are united in opposition to the will of the people (here exemplified by VCU basketball fandom) then I don't know what to tell you.

Correct, there are. Guys like Mobley, Suggs, Giddey, and Scottie Barnes were all high lottery picks who went to rebuilding teams. Those guys are likely to get a lot more run early on.

Late first rounders like Hyland, Tre Mann, Johnson, Springer, and Cameron Thomas will likely be slow played a little more since they are on better teams.

Moses Moody probably won’t get much run with Golden State this year, but I happen to think he’s a pretty darn good player and will develop over time.

The 40th pick in the draft is logging 5.5 mpg on a contender.

Exactly this. I don’t see anything wrong with giving Bones a full night on the bench to take in the intensity of a regular season game close up. Let him pick some things up that he can’t from film. He’ll slowly get worked in. We don’t get to see practices and he’s likely not ready for those schemes you mentioned. If he was, he’d play. He will be but it’ll take time to adapt.

That's what offseason and preseason are for. It's not like they just got the playbook on game 1. NFL playbooks are for more complicated than basketball schemes. Especially for QBs. And rookie QBs get thrown into the fire each year

This isnt unsuual either. Grimes in NY, Cooper in Atlanta, Cam Thomas in brooklyn are all riding the pine.....the only 2021 draftee getting minutes is Chris Duarte in Indianapolis.
NY is stacked, Atlanta is stacked, Brooklyn is smoking dope.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I like to imagine some mythical sophisticated core of elite social media users, who have troubled themselves to form a negative consensus opinion about VCU basketball fans, specifically, as a group. Heady stuff.
Art-i always respect your special mix of pragmatism and levity. You are likely right there is no grand cabal coordinating a negative consensus, still i believe you are wise enough to see in this environment that unfortunately the negative acts of a few impact the collective—even if it is not at the scale that i implied in my post. In the past couple of years alone:

1) we had a purported “donor” try to shout down Bones on social media simply because he had the audacity to have an opinion on non-basketball matters—bear in mind, the donor responded to him.

2) there were several direct negative exchanges between VCU tweeters and players, former players and families of players—which is so “why”?

3) we have a few tweeters who carry on silly and often distasteful exchanges with opposing fans that often have nothing to do with basketball—but man they love to invoke the VCU name as if they are repping Rao himself

4) now we have clowns quote tweeting a coach’s comments directly to an NBA team—because a rookie didn’t play in the first two games of an 82 game season for a team that was already a contender??? That’s just silly.

People should say whatever the heck they want to say—free country, blah, blah, blah—but i can still think they are clowns and jackalopes.

buckwheat

Elite Member
The 40th pick in the draft is logging 5.5 mpg on a contender.

Ok? I never said some late first/early second rounders wouldn’t play. Of course some of them will. Jared Butler, in my opinion, is probably one of the more NBA ready guys around based on his all-around game. I would also argue that Hyland has a higher ceiling than Butler, but it might take him a little more time.