Ovis fan

Elite Member
Insider
The season is already to long so eliminating back to backs would be eliminating games. No fun to watch a gassed team on the second half of a back to back game. It would reduce injuries and increase player longevity to have at least a days rest between games. But how to make up the list revenue? Reduce player salaries, increase ticket prices beyond the ridiculous current cost? No and no. Not an easy problem to solve so business as usual.

PS. Got to admire the work ethic of Jokic: way too many minutes, constant banging in the paint and most offense runs through him. How long can that last?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
College teams play back-to-back-to-back games in tournaments all the time. Sometimes as many as 5 days in a row. Professional teams can certainly do the same. And they all get their turn at having to do it. Roster/minute management is important. The Nuggets just don’t have enough healthy players right now to do a good job of it.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
College teams play back-to-back-to-back games in tournaments all the time. Sometimes as many as 5 days in a row. Professional teams can certainly do the same. And they all get their turn at having to do it. Roster/minute management is important. The Nuggets just don’t have enough healthy players right now to do a good job of it.
So you're of the opinion a 40 game season of 40 minute games is comparable to an 82 game season of 48 minute games?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I’m of the opinion that NBA and college players have been doing it for decades and that an occasional back-to-back isn’t a huge deal for either.
Sure, that's reasonable and I agree. An 82+ game season for years after AAU and college seasons is how Klay Thompson's ligaments turn into spaghetti, though. It's too many games, but fewer games means less revenue all around, so players deal with it. People deal with worse for less pay so I get making that decision and would do the same myself if I had the opportunity. It's still too many games.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Sure, that's reasonable and I agree. An 82+ game season for years after AAU and college seasons is how Klay Thompson's ligaments turn into spaghetti, though. It's too many games, but fewer games means less revenue all around, so players deal with it. People deal with worse for less pay so I get making that decision and would do the same myself if I had the opportunity. It's still too many games.
I’m not sure that’s a fair assessment of Klay’s injuries. He tore an ACL one year and an Achilles’ tendon the next. Those are just basketball injuries that happen. We’ve had 2 ACL tears and 1 Achilles rupture in our program in the last 8 months. It’s not really an overuse issue.

robinmajor

Elite Member
FWIW the Nuggets actually have the biggest back-to-back advantage in the NBA. Teams coming from a west coast game the night before almost always lose. With how late a west coast game runs, plus media responsibilities, travel, and time change – other teams don't make it to the hotel in Denver until almost 4 AM. After all of that, they wake up and play a game at 5,000 ft.

That said, the NBA has been trying to eliminate that scheduling quirk so I'm not sure how often it happens anymore.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I’m not sure that’s a fair assessment of Klay’s injuries. He tore an ACL one year and an Achilles’ tendon the next. Those are just basketball injuries that happen. We’ve had 2 ACL tears and 1 Achilles rupture in our program in the last 8 months. It’s not really an overuse issue.
I don't mean overuse in that instance, (although that's a problem) it's just the sheer number of opportunities for a landing or takeoff to be awkward enough for injury. I don't know how or if you can mitigate that aside from playing fewer games, or the extent of mitigation you'd get playing fewer games. Of course you can get hurt playing pick-up or doing anything.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
There are guys in the prime of their lives making millions to play a game, yes a game. They travel in first class accommodations, are adored by many, pampered with the best medical care and living conditions. Yes, I know, one injury could end it all tomorrow. But still.
The fact that there is even a discussion of playing on back to back days is laughable. I mean cry me a river.

I get the same feeling when a right fielder in MLB ask for a day off cause he's tired......

Let's talk about nurses and truck drivers and other professions that we actually rely on.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
There are guys in the prime of their lives making millions to play a game, yes a game. They travel in first class accommodations, are adored by many, pampered with the best medical care and living conditions. Yes, I know, one injury could end it all tomorrow. But still.
The fact that there is even a discussion of playing on back to back days is laughable. I mean cry me a river.

I get the same feeling when a right fielder in MLB ask for a day off cause he's tired......

Let's talk about nurses and truck drivers and other professions that we actually rely on.
I just think back to backs should be both teams having to do it. Not one of the teams not playing for a couple days while the other played less that 24 hours ago.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I don't mean overuse in that instance, (although that's a problem) it's just the sheer number of opportunities for a landing or takeoff to be awkward enough for injury. I don't know how or if you can mitigate that aside from playing fewer games, or the extent of mitigation you'd get playing fewer games. Of course you can get hurt playing pick-up or doing anything.
BTW, Klay‘s legs looked pretty good the other night.