mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
There are guys in the prime of their lives making millions to play a game, yes a game. They travel in first class accommodations, are adored by many, pampered with the best medical care and living conditions. Yes, I know, one injury could end it all tomorrow. But still.
The fact that there is even a discussion of playing on back to back days is laughable. I mean cry me a river.

I get the same feeling when a right fielder in MLB ask for a day off cause he's tired......

Let's talk about nurses and truck drivers and other professions that we actually rely on.
Saying something is difficult for one person does not diminish how difficult anything is for another person.

There are guys in the prime of their lives making millions to play a game, yes a game. They travel in first class accommodations, are adored by many, pampered with the best medical care and living conditions. Yes, I know, one injury could end it all tomorrow. But still.
The fact that there is even a discussion of playing on back to back days is laughable. I mean cry me a river.

I get the same feeling when a right fielder in MLB ask for a day off cause he's tired......

Let's talk about nurses and truck drivers and other professions that we actually rely on.
most teams will fly in private jets (normally reconfigured commercial planes) that have oversized seats and additional space (leg room0
will fly out of private terminals when available with most of luggage already checked in - most teams will have two buses to transport players/staff and others from hotel/arena and terminals and it maybe 2-4 hours after a game before they are airborne to the next destination
so arrivals in new city are likely early to mid mornings
they stay at nice hotels that can provide appropriate security and most players love extra days off to see the sights in cities and enjoy restaurants and night life
as far as back to backs the NBA does a pretty good job on evening out the #s among all the teams in the NBA (the challenge out west is the distance between cities (often two more hours of flying than the Charlotte to Boston corridor for Eastern conference teams)
Some players with injuries and the older players it is challenging to go back to back and perform at the highest level (guys like Lebron etc amaze me what they do year to year

most well conditioned players it is not a major or even a minor issue with back to backs (but no question having a day between each game is much better on avg)

as far as what they make - so what -
NBA at least pays players around 50% of revenue (hey colleges pay 0%, what's up with that -oh yeah we need to pay college coaches millions and ADs nice 6 figure or more deals) - WNBA players get maybe 25% of team revenue

go Bones

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
most teams will fly in private jets (normally reconfigured commercial planes) that have oversized seats and additional space (leg room0
will fly out of private terminals when available with most of luggage already checked in - most teams will have two buses to transport players/staff and others from hotel/arena and terminals and it maybe 2-4 hours after a game before they are airborne to the next destination
so arrivals in new city are likely early to mid mornings
they stay at nice hotels that can provide appropriate security and most players love extra days off to see the sights in cities and enjoy restaurants and night life
as far as back to backs the NBA does a pretty good job on evening out the #s among all the teams in the NBA (the challenge out west is the distance between cities (often two more hours of flying than the Charlotte to Boston corridor for Eastern conference teams)
Some players with injuries and the older players it is challenging to go back to back and perform at the highest level (guys like Lebron etc amaze me what they do year to year

most well conditioned players it is not a major or even a minor issue with back to backs (but no question having a day between each game is much better on avg)

as far as what they make - so what -
NBA at least pays players around 50% of revenue (hey colleges pay 0%, what's up with that -oh yeah we need to pay college coaches millions and ADs nice 6 figure or more deals) - WNBA players get maybe 25% of team revenue

go Bones
I just wonder what percentage the teams with rest have against teams having a back to back. For instance, the Lakers looked awful and the Jazz have been playing lights out. The Jazz had a back to back against the Lakers who had a day of rest. The Lakers shellacked them. Just seems to me that the back to backs do not lead to good match-ups.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I just wonder what percentage the teams with rest have against teams having a back to back. For instance, the Lakers looked awful and the Jazz have been playing lights out. The Jazz had a back to back against the Lakers who had a day of rest. The Lakers shellacked them. Just seems to me the the back to backs do not lead to good match-ups.

Team have won ~43% of the time on the second game of B2B, over the last five years.

stumbled across this ranking of rookies to date with some stats and qualitative assessments -
clearly Bones has exceeded his draft position to date from the metrics - he was definitely fortunate to fall to Denver given their loss of Jamal Murray but otherwise getting to play with a real stud in Jokic who Shares the Ball better than most stars as well as lots of average players beyond Jokic that seem to be unselfish too
would love to see some analytics on defense for Bones - seems Denver hides him a lot on D when playing man and they also play a lot of Zone too when Bones is on the court - But that is just a seat of the pants assessment from watching him about 8-10 times on TV this year (I could be wrong in this assessment about his D based upon analytics so be gentle)
(apologies if link doesn't work well)
go Bones

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
stumbled across this ranking of rookies to date with some stats and qualitative assessments -
clearly Bones has exceeded his draft position to date from the metrics - he was definitely fortunate to fall to Denver given their loss of Jamal Murray but otherwise getting to play with a real stud in Jokic who Shares the Ball better than most stars as well as lots of average players beyond Jokic that seem to be unselfish too
would love to see some analytics on defense for Bones - seems Denver hides him a lot on D when playing man and they also play a lot of Zone too when Bones is on the court - But that is just a seat of the pants assessment from watching him about 8-10 times on TV this year (I could be wrong in this assessment about his D based upon analytics so be gentle)
(apologies if link doesn't work well)
go Bones
Bones defensive rating is 109.9, which is not ideal—lower is better. That rating puts him at 383 out of 590. The good news is his offensive rating is over 110, so he is a net positive contributor. Interestingly, he has the same defensive rating as Harden. There is a lot of noise in the data with respect to rankings.

Bones defensive rating is 109.9, which is not ideal—lower is better. That rating puts him at 383 out of 590. The good news is his offensive rating is over 110, so he is a net positive contributor. Interestingly, he has the same defensive rating as Harden. There is a lot of noise in the data with respect to rankings.

Impossible to quantify. James Harden hasn’t played defense in the regular season in 10 years.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Impossible to quantify. James Harden hasn’t played defense in the regular season in 10 years.
His defense has been better lately. You could tell that the talk he had with Malone motivated him. He was having trouble on both sides of the ball. Hopefully he can have a good game tomorrow night.

Last edited: