rammad90

Elite Member
FWIW- Bones’ production is similar in nature to Bradly Beal’s rookie season stat wise. Beal obviously got more minutes as the third overall pick, so his stats are a little better, but the per 48s favor Bones. Beal’s development from mainly a 3pt shooter with some wiggle, to a reliable three level scorer and solid defender, provides a good model for Bones towards developing into a Max contract candidate.
Max K. Let's just get through the rookie contract, his second year and hope for progression. Max contract is something that shouldnt even be though of at this point.

Bones 2nd team All Rookie or not has to keep working his butt off to stay in the league and even harder than that to keep and/or gain minutes.

buckwheat

Elite Member
NGL, Bones profiles as a future All Star.

Does he, though? Would people have said the same about a guy like Emmanuel Mudiay after a nice rookie season in Denver? Probably not. Guys like Buddy Hield, Justice Winslow, Elfrid Payton, Jordan Clarkson, Malcolm Brogdon, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr., Dion Waiters, and so on and so on…..zero all-star appearances to date with varying levels of success.

Is he capable of getting to that level? Absolutely. But taking off the VCU blinders for a moment, I don’t think he necessarily profiles as a future all-star any more than numerous other uber talented players who never even got close. Making an all-star team in the NBA is very difficult.

But I’ll be rooting for him to get there every step of the way.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Does he, though? Would people have said the same about a guy like Emmanuel Mudiay after a nice rookie season in Denver? Probably not. Guys like Buddy Hield, Justice Winslow, Elfrid Payton, Jordan Clarkson, Malcolm Brogdon, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr., Dion Waiters, and so on and so on…..zero all-star appearances to date with varying levels of success.

Is he capable of getting to that level? Absolutely. But taking off the VCU blinders for a moment, I don’t think he necessarily profiles as a future all-star any more than numerous other uber talented players who never even got close. Making an all-star team in the NBA is very difficult.

He literally statistically profiles as a future All Star

duncanlamb

Elite Member
909NGL, Bones profiles as a future All Star. He has a ways to go to get there, but now that he's a season in I don't feel like I'm jinxing him to say it out loud.
The differ

Aren't starting all-star players completely based on fan popularity? Bench player then selected by the players.

objectivly, Please lay down specifically the poiny by point requirements at the NBA all star an NBA all-star in your opinion.

buckwheat

Elite Member
Please lay down specifically the poiny by point requirements at the NBA all star an NBA all-star in your opinion.

I’m unsure as to who exactly you posed this question to, but it’s difficult to decipher exactly what you are asking.

”I don’t understand the question, and I won’t respond to it”
-Lucille Bluth

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Ok, explain to me like I’m 5. What does this even mean?
So first off, I was tired when I replied last night and probably came off more adversarial than intended. Usually I would've included more of an explanation with the comment, especially if I was replying to someone I know is asking an honest question.

What I mean when I say he profiles as a future All Star isn't that he looks like one or "feels" like one (although I think you could argue he's passed the eye test at every level we've seen him play this far), but rather that the closest comparisons you come up with when taking a look at players with a similar statistical profile are All Star level players. Pre-draft his college numbers (particularly his number of 3s made vs 3s attempted, especially when considering which came off the bounce vs ones assisted) said his closest comparison in college was Stephen Curry, with Trae Young as the second closest. This probably isn't surprising since Curry was one of the most popular players in the world while Bones was a kid and everyone wants to shoot 3s now (understandably so, they're worth 50% more than 2s), but what is surprising is Bones being such a close comparison.

As for his first year in the league, multiple models suggest his averages per 36 minutes played would be something like 19/5/5, which is borderline All Star territory. Of course there's a huge difference between per 36 extrapolation and actually playing 36 minutes a night, let alone doing it at or above the projected level of production, but people pay attention to these stats for a reason - especially with younger players, they can be a leading indicator of someone primed for a breakout. Does this mean much more than the stats seem to back up what we already know, which is that he's a talented player with a lot of potential? Probably not, but I think it's interesting his statistics before the draft said he should've been a lottery pick and his statistics after a year in the league said, yeah, he should've been a lottery pick. Plenty of lottery guys don't work out, or do, but not to the point of making an All Star team (although the only guy on the list you mentioned I remember much serious hype on was Winslow); however, the vast majority of players who produce at an All Star level were drafted in the lottery.

Basically my point is that every indicator we can find says this guy bears watching and has a chance to a very special player, and that they've said that for a while. There's any number of things that influence stats - minutes, the team you're on, your role on the team (Bones is a point guard and should be played as such at the highest level), health - and we just don't have that big a sample size for him yet, but everything we do have I think says yes, he is in fact that guy. I hope they're right and look forward to finding out.

buckwheat

Elite Member
So first off, I was tired when I replied last night and probably came off more adversarial than intended. Usually I would've included more of an explanation with the comment, especially if I was replying to someone I know is asking an honest question.

What I mean when I say he profiles as a future All Star isn't that he looks like one or "feels" like one (although I think you could argue he's passed the eye test at every level we've seen him play this far), but rather that the closest comparisons you come up with when taking a look at players with a similar statistical profile are All Star level players. Pre-draft his college numbers (particularly his number of 3s made vs 3s attempted, especially when considering which came off the bounce vs ones assisted) said his closest comparison in college was Stephen Curry, with Trae Young as the second closest. This probably isn't surprising since Curry was one of the most popular players in the world while Bones was a kid and everyone wants to shoot 3s now (understandably so, they're worth 50% more than 2s), but what is surprising is Bones being such a close comparison.

As for his first year in the league, multiple models suggest his averages per 36 minutes played would be something like 19/5/5, which is borderline All Star territory. Of course there's a huge difference between per 36 extrapolation and actually playing 36 minutes a night, let alone doing it at or above the projected level of production, but people pay attention to these stats for a reason - especially with younger players, they can be a leading indicator of someone primed for a breakout. Does this mean much more than the stats seem to back up what we already know, which is that he's a talented player with a lot of potential? Probably not, but I think it's interesting his statistics before the draft said he should've been a lottery pick and his statistics after a year in the league said, yeah, he should've been a lottery pick. Plenty of lottery guys don't work out, or do, but not to the point of making an All Star team (although the only guy on the list you mentioned I remember much serious hype on was Winslow); however, the vast majority of players who produce at an All Star level were drafted in the lottery.

Basically my point is that every indicator we can find says this guy bears watching and has a chance to a very special player, and that they've said that for a while. There's any number of things that influence stats - minutes, the team you're on, your role on the team (Bones is a point guard and should be played as such at the highest level), health - and we just don't have that big a sample size for him yet, but everything we do have I think says yes, he is in fact that guy. I hope they're right and look forward to finding out.
You mean you didn’t want to engage with some donkey named buckwheat on the internet at 1am? The eff is wrong with you?

I hear ya, Big Tuna. Don’t necessarily agree with all of that, but your points are valid. I certainly hope you are right. Potential is there, no doubt.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
You mean you didn’t want to engage with some donkey named buckwheat on the internet at 1am? The eff is wrong with you?

I hear ya, Big Tuna. Don’t necessarily agree with all of that, but your points are valid. I certainly hope you are right. Potential is there, no doubt.
I have a firm avoid any size rascal at 1am policy

Last edited:
I love the Nuggets and VCU. I’ve watched about 75% of the Nuggets games last season and Bones is highly regarded by the team, fans and coaching staff. He was on the All-NBA rookie team. The Nuggets got literally a top 10 draft pick production from a 26th draft pick, a huge steal. His confidence and his production picked up significantly over the later half of the season when he started seeing more minutes and getting used to the team. I believe he nearly broke Jamals record for hitting over 50% from 3pt range in the month of March. He’s pretty much the only consistent good and net positive on the 2nd team. With everyone healthy, he would split minutes or play concurrently with Monte. With his lower salary and a similar impact, it’s much more valuable to keep Bones than Monte. With Denver looking to go all in for a championship this upcoming season, Monte has a better trade value to pick up more pieces to fill in pieces for a championship run.

I feel Bones is going to be a value player if he can keep his production up and improve going into next season.

rammad90

Elite Member

Kind of the same thing I was getting at in my previous post. Bones has to first get through his second year with improvement just to stave off the next man up. Then he needs to add value in year 3 as he needs to get through his rookie 3rd year again showing more value than he did in year 2.

As you state, making an all star game is pretty hard especially at the guard spot. Steph, Morant, Luka, Booker, Trae Young. have spots locked up for the foreseeable future. With old heads such as Chris Paul, Klay T, Derozen always fighting for a spot. Its tough.

Right now our best hope is he keeps working his butt off as the best he can hope for is projecting as a solid minute getter at this point.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Kind of the same thing I was getting at in my previous post. Bones has to first get through his second year with improvement just to stave off the next man up. Then he needs to add value in year 3 as he needs to get through his rookie 3rd year again showing more value than he did in year 2.

As you state, making an all star game is pretty hard especially at the guard spot. Steph, Morant, Luka, Booker, Trae Young. have spots locked up for the foreseeable future. With old heads such as Chris Paul, Klay T, Derozen always fighting for a spot. Its tough.

Right now our best hope is he keeps working his butt off as the best he can hope for is projecting as a solid minute getter at this point.
Also gotta hope he can avoid any untimely serious injuries that could set him back.