MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Those managers are often the people stealing the most from their talent.
I don't know if these guys are the same as managers. At least in what I've seen, they are the enforcers making sure the artists get paid. They're the ones the actual buiz managers call if suddenly the terms of hire change after the show. It's a dirty business. You don't wanna have to do business with them.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I don't know if these guys are the same as managers. At least in what I've seen, they are the enforcers making sure the artists get paid. They're the ones the actual buiz managers call if suddenly the terms of hire change after the show. It's a dirty business. You don't wanna have to do business with them.
If Bones is smart, then he doesn’t let his enforcer also control his money. He needs a truly progressional agent and a money manager doing that. And any “enforcers” that got their claws in early need to be fired if his agent/money manager says it’s a problem.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
If Bones is smart, then he doesn’t let his enforcer also control his money. He needs a truly progressional agent and a money manager doing that. And any “enforcers” that got their claws in early need to be fired if his agent/money manager says it’s a problem.
Austin Walton has done a crazy good job for Bones. But as for money managers I don't think many have those.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Austin Walton has done a crazy good job for Bones. But as for money managers I don't think many have those.
Money managers aren’t hard to find. A good fiduciary financial advisor from a reputable place is all these guys need.

But enforcement/security and money management should never come from the same place. Just as important, your money should never be managed by friends or family.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Those managers are often the people stealing the most from their talent.
No they are not, it’s usually the dude in the suit with a fancy degree and smug attitude thinking they are smarter than the kid from the block….that’s the person to distrust.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
No they are not, it’s usually the dude in the suit with a fancy degree and smug attitude thinking they are smarter than the kid from the block….that’s the person to distrust.
Tell that to every child actor that’s parent manager has stolen their money. It’s about getting claws in early. It’s about developing a relationship with the talent where they trust you and love you.

People in these situations need to get a fiduciary advisor from a reputable organization. Anyone that has a hand in your money needs to be a person you can tell no and legally has to ask you before they do anything. Friends/family and money do not mix.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Pretty sure it's proam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-134810_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-134810_Instagram.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220807-134848_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-134848_Instagram.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 13

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I’ll give you child actors/athletes because they are at a legal disadvantage, but the vast majority of fraud and embezzlement comes from the professional class. Friends and family can be drags at times, but the worst of the worst are those that prey people under the guise of being a professional.…ironically, they are often the ones that tell a person to shed their inner circle to ”trust” them.

Things have gotten exponentially better for athletes as the unions have added requirements for agents and managers to be certified and submit to periodic audits. There are still cases of fraud, but it’s about at the same as what happens to higher wealth individuals in the gen pop.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Tell that to every child actor that’s parent manager has stolen their money. It’s about getting claws in early. It’s about developing a relationship with the talent where they trust you and love you.

People in these situations need to get a fiduciary advisor from a reputable organization. Anyone that has a hand in your money needs to be a person you can tell no and legally has to ask you before they do anything. Friends/family and money do not mix.
I’ll give you child actors/athletes because they are at a legal disadvantage and can’t really choose their handlers, but the vast majority of fraud and embezzlement comes from the professional class. Friends and family can be drags at times, but the worst of the worst are those that prey on people under the guise of being a professional.…ironically, they are often the ones that tell a person to shed their inner circle to ”trust” them.

Things have gotten exponentially better for athletes as the unions have added requirements for agents and managers to be certified and submit to periodic audits. There are still cases of fraud, but it’s about at the same as what happens to higher wealth individuals in the gen pop.

rammad90

Elite Member
Bones is a first round draft pick from a non-P6 school, just like Dame was with nothing but his game, his mindset and his will. Bones has his eyes on the prize and there is a road map blazed by modern and sophisticated players. You are stuck in the small time “Jocks are Jocks” Mad Dog mindset, acting like he is some slub trying to make the league. Bones is not that, the guy belongs there, has a great head on his shoulders, ambitions and driven by a higher purpose. The best any of us can do is admire the young man and support his journey. If anything, Bones should be lauded for not putting all his eggs in one basket….the key for these young men is to take that bag and make it many bags, diversify, diversify, diversify. You don’t know him, his boys or his family….I guess one can assume they are drags on him, but if one takes Bones at his word, they lift him up. Hate all you want, despite what any of us think, Bones is going to do his thing….might as well support him, he is one of us.
Actually I am not I am focused on reality of his situation. While many of you think you know these guys and their circumstances you really dont. I have had this conversation with many a VCU Basketball and to the player they agree. They dont show you who they are, they show you who you expect them to be. You rarely get inside even when you think you are inside.

You dont know the pressures of coming home to people who have helped, think they have helped, or you believe need help and then their latching on some with good intentions some with bad. Bones could easily be sucked into bad investments, loans, and just spend used on guilt, obligation, misguided trust, etc.

I am not going to debate it with you other than to state you dont know what you don't know. Further, your ego wont allow you to admit it.

When one is from the hood, poor and has come up. That is a huge target on his back. Better he stay laser focused until he builds his financial weight up and then reach back. Btw, music, restaurants, food trucks, night clubs, and the like have a huge failure rate especially for people who have little to no experience in such ventures.

I am not hating at all. Again, you dont get it. I am simply giving advice base on what all of us who know have seen and experienced.

rammad90

Elite Member
It is his life and his choice. What I fear most is that Bones is passionate about his music and bc of his financial situation, he is a target for some unscrupulous actors. Bones Bball skills make him a lot of $$ and those skills have a short expiration date. He should absolutely do what he wants, But he is young and young people are prone to making judgement mistakes. Bones has no lack of people telling him what he wants to hear and "hey bro, can I borrow some money?" I hope he has mature people around him guiding him that are not all about worshipping him and/ or wanting money.
Agreed! We all want the guy to be great and have a great life. Basketball be damned. If he can put himself in position to get his family out of poverty then he wins. If he plays ball and falls short he loses.

I am hoping for the win.

rammad90

Elite Member
I’m sure you have hobbies and don’t focus on your job 24/7. Why can’t he be the same way?
I have 4 degrees, 1 from an Ivy league institution, two others from tightly ranked State schools and then there's VCU. I am in my late 50's and a veteran, I have owned a couple of businesses and have held executive positions with many more.

Also,, I have been young with a good deal of money. Not as young as Bones or with as much money. However, I do know what befalls him if he decides to "help".

If this is a one off and hobby its all good. However, when I was young in my career I was all in. Bones is young if this is stress release cool If it is a prelude for things to come, I just want him to watch out. Bones is a good, big hearted kid and those guys sometimes are preyed upon in the hood.

rammad90

Elite Member
Bones is probably one of the most well-rounded people ever to come through VCU. He doesn’t let fame get to his head, he just does what he does. He’ll be fine.
That all can be true. But Bones is also from the hood and their are things and lessons folks who grow up in the hood dont get. He was only in college two years not enough time to learn what you need like business acumen, the value of money, a good deal when he sees one.

So he can be humble and still get taken, it happens every day. This isnt about fame or ego. Its about life and higher than normal money leads to problems.

Pretty sure no on in his family can relate to his income and again Bones has been trained to show you guys what you guys want to see.

For example, we have a present player who I think it pretty damned cool. I mentioned him from someone who knows and they stated he has that ish in him too, he just knows how to act around them folks.

rammad90

Elite Member
Further, he needs to never give anyone total control of anything. This is the time when he needs to be educated on money matters.