AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I have opinions on all of this. I feel like Denver is sleeping on Bones as a starter when he would thrive with space as a starter. KCP is a good defender but they did the same thing last year with guards playing over Bones. Their D is not that good and they are making a mistake in my opinion. I know Bones will accept his role and thrive but he could really help more with Murray, Porter, Gordon and Jokic.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I have opinions on all of this. I feel like Denver is sleeping on Bones as a starter when he would thrive with space as a starter. KCP is a good defender but they did the same thing last year with guards playing over Bones. Their D is not that good and they are making a mistake in my opinion. I know Bones will accept his role and thrive but he could really help more with Murray, Porter, Gordon and Jokic.
The thing is that lineup isn't sustainable on defense. In the regular season it might not matter because they'd just score constantly but in the playoffs they'll want some kind of defensive balance. I'd still love to see it because I'm not too sure that lineup doesn't end up being basically unguardable to the extent defense doesn't matter but so much.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider

I hear you there is a case to made for him to start, my one push back is there aren’t many leftover shots with that group. If he is the alpha on the second unit, it may be better for him as a showcase.

Bones gonna have plenty of chances to prove his worth. But until he shows the chops on defense , I doubt Malone will start Bones barring injury to Murray or resting Murray

Murrays D is avg but still better than Bones at this juncture (to be expected given how long Murray has been in the show) - Malone cannot look to having both of them on the floor in crunch time until he is confident one can lock down the opponents best scoring threat at guard (all bets are off when they play GSW and they have small team on floor )

P Rock is right that Bones will have far more opportunity if playing minutes without the 3 alpha scorers (Murray, Porter and 2-time MVP Jokic) to further improve his game IMHO

year 3 is the year I expect Bones to force Nuggets to find a way to start Bones

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Tonight's game is on Altitude so get those streams ready.

rammad90

Elite Member
I disagree. Bones is young and there are aspects of his game that need work. His D isnt the best and KCP is stronger and better. Bones is streaky.

Right now Bones is an energy guy and a back up pg. Give him time to grow into his role and that will pay dividends.

Malone may not be the best HC in the NBA but he does know what he is doing with regards to Bones development.

Just trust the process it appears that Bones has and its worked thus far.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Here's the other issue starting Bones (not that I don't want him to start, cause I do).

If you have Bones starting alongside Murray.... who comes off the bench for Denver to give them a spark?

KCP? Bruce Brown? Ish Smith? Collin Gillespie? Christian Braun?

They ain't got Monte Morris any more.... and neither KCP nor Ish Smith are as explosive & energetic as Bones.

Sparring a Murray injury or rest day.... Bones will be coming off the bench & will be that spark off the bench... but Bones will get his minutes... as I'm sure Malone will be extra careful with Murray early on in the year.

If you start Bones alongside Murray, MPJ, Gordon & Jokic... Denver's bench becomes a HUGE ? KCP & DeAndre Jordan would be the best players on the bench, and while both are solid players... neither of them are the spark that Bones is.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Here's the other issue starting Bones (not that I don't want him to start, cause I do).

If you have Bones starting alongside Murray.... who comes off the bench for Denver to give them a spark?

KCP? Bruce Brown? Ish Smith? Collin Gillespie? Christian Braun?

They ain't got Monte Morris any more.... and neither KCP nor Ish Smith are as explosive & energetic as Bones.

Sparring a Murray injury or rest day.... Bones will be coming off the bench & will be that spark off the bench... but Bones will get his minutes... as I'm sure Malone will be extra careful with Murray early on in the year.

If you start Bones alongside Murray, MPJ, Gordon & Jokic... Denver's bench becomes a HUGE ? KCP & DeAndre Jordan would be the best players on the bench, and while both are solid players... neither of them are the spark that Bones is.
Pretty much this. I really like Bones as the 6th man given the makeup of Denver's roster. Their first unit is explosive and they need a leader for the second unit who can keep up their momentum. Plus, as the 6th man Bones will be playing with the starters a lot anyway.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Plus Bones brought out the best in Boogie Cousins last year coming off the bench.... hopefully he can do the same with Deandre Jordan.... although Jordan has gotten older... maybe Bones energy can bring back some of the Jordan that was on the Clippers.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
All of this stems from my post about Bones starting. It does not matter because he is slotted to be the 6th man to lead the 2nd unit. It is fine because he has a real shot to be the 6th Man of the Year. KCP is a starter due to D and I hope it works out. I am not sold on him as a game changer for the starting unit. Bones is in a position to have a great year so it is all good.

we will start getting our answers in a little over 2 weeks

I will be most interested in seeing the substitution pattern over the first month when Malone is figuring it out - (can remember a lot of hate toward Facundo last year in the first month when he was getting what we all thought should have been Bones minutes!!!)

given the off season moves to improve defense at the 2 and 3 positons (KCP and Brown) and Malone's penchant for bringing rookies along slow (Braun and Grady et al.) - I want to see who is on the court during crunch time in the 4th quarter last 6 minutes and how soon it will be before trusting Bones in that role

i hope Malone subs Murray out at the 6-8 minute mark and gives Bones some 1st quarter run with Jokic and another 1 or two starters - gotta assume Malone will stagger Jokic and Murray minutes to always have one on the court if possible - makes too much sense not to.

as much as I want to see Bones succeed, I am trying to be patient in my expectations and look for the real breakout to occur in year 3 but hoping quietly that it occurs this year

go bones

rammad90

Elite Member
All of this stems from my post about Bones starting. It does not matter because he is slotted to be the 6th man to lead the 2nd unit. It is fine because he has a real shot to be the 6th Man of the Year. KCP is a starter due to D and I hope it works out. I am not sold on him as a game changer for the starting unit. Bones is in a position to have a great year so it is all good.
You make it seem as if KCP is a scrub. The guy is a veteran NBA player and yes D is important. Plus KCP's numbers match up well. Also, KCP is a bigger stronger shooting guard.

Bones is a point and right now a liability on D. Malone sees those guys every day and has done well by Bones and as stated he is developing the guy.

Also, if you look at last year KCP's numbers are better. Shooting, rebounds, steals about the same. Bones as a pg assists are higher.

KCP is the better option at this point his time will come. Finally, as has been stated on the second unit Bones can grow and shine.