AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
You make it seem as if KCP is a scrub. The guy is a veteran NBA player and yes D is important. Plus KCP's numbers match up well. Also, KCP is a bigger stronger shooting guard.

Bones is a point and right now a liability on D. Malone sees those guys every day and has done well by Bones and as stated he is developing the guy.

Also, if you look at last year KCP's numbers are better. Shooting, rebounds, steals about the same. Bones as a pg assists are higher.

KCP is the better option at this point his time will come. Finally, as has been stated on the second unit Bones can grow and shine.
I do not think KCP is a scrub. You might want to look at playing time when comparing KCP and Bones. Just saying.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I had to work last night so I am looking at tweets this morning. Seems like Malone is being Malone and trying to use his tough guy attitude on Bones. Not a fan of Malone as you all know. From what I gather the first team looked awful at the beginning of the game and KCP as I expected was not good on offense. Malone did not stagger his line ups and the second team did not do well either. My opinion after perusing twitter is that Bones got yanked and Malone is trying to get him locked in. We shall see what happens but I have always held the opinion that Malone is not the guy to lead them to a championship. Oh well, the Nuggets brass seem to like him.

I had to work last night so I am looking at tweets this morning. Seems like Malone is being Malone and trying to use his tough guy attitude on Bones. Not a fan of Malone as you all know. From what I gather the first team looked awful at the beginning of the game and KCP as I expected was not good on offense. Malone did not stagger his line ups and the second team did not do well either. My opinion after perusing twitter is that Bones got yanked and Malone is trying to get him locked in. We shall see what happens but I have always held the opinion that Malone is not the guy to lead them to a championship. Oh well, the Nuggets brass seem to like him.
I would not worry about one preseason game - goal is getting all players some run - wait until last 3 or so games to get best insight on what we will see early on in the season in the way of the rotation

even first 2-3 weeks of regular season is still part of the time for Malone to understand what he has

I worry less about Malone than you do (but I can appreciate opposing views) and take little from playing time in early preseason games - Denver box score had 15 guys playing between 14 and 20 minutes each - best thing about box score was GOLDEN played 0 minutes

go bones

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I would not worry about one preseason game - goal is getting all players some run - wait until last 3 or so games to get best insight on what we will see early on in the season in the way of the rotation

even first 2-3 weeks of regular season is still part of the time for Malone to understand what he has

I worry less about Malone than you do (but I can appreciate opposing views) and take little from playing time in early preseason games - Denver box score had 15 guys playing between 14 and 20 minutes each - best thing about box score was GOLDEN played 0 minutes

go bones
I would not say I worry. Malone seems like a good guy but he has a tendency to call "rage" timeouts, not play staggered rotations and be reactionary. I think last night he called out Bones in the postgame presser for a reason. He wants Bones locked in and from what I gather Bones took some questionable shots early and got yanked. He commented that Bones took plays off and it is not acceptable.

from an article
pretty much mirrors what AA said above

Tough love for Bones Hyland​

Among the disappointments from Monday night’s preseason opener was a bad night from Bones Hyland. He struggled leading the second unit, and that group had a suboptimal performance as a result.

“Unacceptable from me,” declared Bones of his performance in Monday night’s game. “I know that that’s nothing like me, so I’m going to try and learn from it and move on.”

Malone went as far as to bench Bones in the early second quarter for veteran Ish Smith. After the game, he called for better effort and intensity from the second year guard, and it appears that Bones responded well today.

“I was proud of Bones. I think he showed growth. He came in here today ready to work, ready to get better, and he owned it,” Malone shared on Tuesday. “He didn’t come in here feeling sorry for himself. That’s a big step for him.”

With so much pressure on his shoulders to lead a second unit that doesn’t have a lot of scoring and creation around him, the Nuggets know they need the best they can get from Bones. It’s important for Malone and the Nuggets coaching staff to hold him to a high standard. The Nuggets need him to be even better than he was last year to hold up in bench configurations.

Bones responded well to the criticism and shared that he likes the tough love approach from his coach:

“That’s something I always say I appreciate about coach. At the end of the day, he’s going to tell me if I’m playing good or playing bad, and that’s what you need.”

“I know coach loves me,” Bones quipped, “but at the end of the day, I want him to be tough on me, because I don’t want anything handed to me.”

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
from an article
pretty much mirrors what AA said above

Tough love for Bones Hyland​

Among the disappointments from Monday night’s preseason opener was a bad night from Bones Hyland. He struggled leading the second unit, and that group had a suboptimal performance as a result.

“Unacceptable from me,” declared Bones of his performance in Monday night’s game. “I know that that’s nothing like me, so I’m going to try and learn from it and move on.”

Malone went as far as to bench Bones in the early second quarter for veteran Ish Smith. After the game, he called for better effort and intensity from the second year guard, and it appears that Bones responded well today.

“I was proud of Bones. I think he showed growth. He came in here today ready to work, ready to get better, and he owned it,” Malone shared on Tuesday. “He didn’t come in here feeling sorry for himself. That’s a big step for him.”

With so much pressure on his shoulders to lead a second unit that doesn’t have a lot of scoring and creation around him, the Nuggets know they need the best they can get from Bones. It’s important for Malone and the Nuggets coaching staff to hold him to a high standard. The Nuggets need him to be even better than he was last year to hold up in bench configurations.

Bones responded well to the criticism and shared that he likes the tough love approach from his coach:

“That’s something I always say I appreciate about coach. At the end of the day, he’s going to tell me if I’m playing good or playing bad, and that’s what you need.”

“I know coach loves me,” Bones quipped, “but at the end of the day, I want him to be tough on me, because I don’t want anything handed to me.”
I'm glad Bones is being humble about it and taking it in stride. Hopefully this leads to some improvement as the preseason goes on.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I'm glad Bones is being humble about it and taking it in stride. Hopefully this leads to some improvement as the preseason goes on.
Improvement from Malone. He needs to stagger his line ups more and hold his starters responsible for turnovers, poor rebounding and bad shots.