Bones Hyland is the best thing going for VCU basketball right now. Meaning a player in the NBA is doing more to help the brand of VCU basketball, than everyone who is currently still working for or playing for VCU basketball.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Insider
Bones Hyland is the best thing going for VCU basketball right now. Meaning a player in the NBA is doing more to help the brand of VCU basketball, than everyone who is currently still working for or playing for VCU basketball.
Don’t necessarily agree with that as Ace is making a name for himself. As Ace goes so VCU goes. Everyone knows that.

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
Don’t necessarily agree with that as Ace is making a name for himself. As Ace goes so VCU goes. Everyone knows that.

This might be the most insightful post on all the forums pertaining to this season. Ace is the leader and engine for this team, unfortunately he was pretty “beat up” early, missing some games and I suspect playing a few at around 60% given he had injuries to both hands/wrists. It’s not going to explain every result, but as Ace continues to heal up and get into a groove running this team, we’ll continue to trend up. It’s a very rare thing to see a basketball team’s best player be limited or out and see that team perform anywhere near their best.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Bones went out a few minutes ago, not seen him on the bench yet since (high ankle maybe?), but maybe I'm just missing it. I killed my twitter but have still been able to search a term under "latest", but haven't seen the "latest" column in search there in a few days like it was taken away, so can't search for info now.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Bones went out a few minutes ago, not seen him on the bench yet since (high ankle maybe?), but maybe I'm just missing it. I killed my twitter but have still been able to search a term under "latest", but haven't seen the "latest" column in search there in a few days like it was taken away, so can't search for info now.
Broadcast answered it, ankle sprain, game return "questionable". He did it trying to block Bol Bol dunking.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Any of yall watching the Nuggets game, I don't know if you saw the Nuggets Bones commercial just now, but there's no way in heyl Bones is going anywhere. I'll try and track down a video of it (cannot rewind the stream), but wow, Nuggets love them some Bones.

Like you I think they would be crazy moving Bones on his rookie contract, but my guess is if they get a piece that makes them immediately much better they will consider it

what that piece is has to be defense and maybe a speciality player that can stop /slow down a key player that gives them fits (who knows who that is)
but doing such would be short-sighted at a time that they are still trying to figure out Bones ceiling

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Like you I think they would be crazy moving Bones on his rookie contract, but my guess is if they get a piece that makes them immediately much better they will consider it

what that piece is has to be defense and maybe a speciality player that can stop /slow down a key player that gives them fits (who knows who that is)
but doing such would be short-sighted at a time that they are still trying to figure out Bones ceiling
Worth it if they think it puts them over the top this year. Small market teams rarely get a chance to go all in, especially not with an MVP caliber player. That said, I don't think there's anyone available that moves the needle enough to trade Bones (plus whatever else the selling team would demand).

Case in point was Toronto trading for Kawhi. They knew it was a one year rental, but if that one year could plausibly be a championship year, you have to go for it.

Last edited: