IstanbulRam

Elite Member
I will preface this by fully admitting that I did not watch many Rams games last year like I normally would, but can someone fill me in…..

I see some talk on here about Hason Ward being drafted. This guy has only a few games of double digit points/rebounds with pedestrian numbers as a sophomore. Doesn’t seem like he is even remotely close to, say, Larry Sanders at the same age. I also don’t see anywhere else talking him up as a legit NBA prospect. Is this just VCURN hype or am I missing something? Is this based on potential alone?

Am I crazy for not seeing what some are seeing?

Edit: And yes, I realize he’s a great shot blocker.

Nbadraft.net has Hason Ward going #34 to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their 2022 Mock Draft.

Ward was as high as #27 in April.

Don't know how big that site is but people outside of VCU are certainly starting to notice Ward.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I will preface this by fully admitting that I did not watch many Rams games last year like I normally would, but can someone fill me in…..

I see some talk on here about Hason Ward being drafted. This guy has only a few games of double digit points/rebounds with pedestrian numbers as a sophomore. Doesn’t seem like he is even remotely close to, say, Larry Sanders at the same age. I also don’t see anywhere else talking him up as a legit NBA prospect. Is this just VCURN hype or am I missing something? Is this based on potential alone?

Am I crazy for not seeing what some are seeing?

Edit: And yes, I realize he’s a great shot blocker.
Very much a potential/physical tools thing, along with showing just enough polish for scouts to be interested (good stroke at the line, can handle the ball a little on drives from the elbow, runs the floor super hard every possession and does it FAST). He came to basketball late like Larry and so far appears to have processed quite a bit very quickly, which scouts also like.

I'm firmly in Camp Hason Is An NBA Player. We'll see how he looks next year - don't discount the possibility I'm the crazy one.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I admittedly don’t know much about the big fella the Wizards drafted at 22, but man I would have loved to have seen them take a chance on Hyland.

Pick 15 would have been a stretch, but with how the NBA is trending with guys like Hyland fitting in, I’m not so sure he doesn’t have much more upside than Kispert in the long haul. Time will tell.
im glad Wizards didn't pick him.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
outside of showing a bit of weight room workout footage, there was not a single mention of VCU by Bones. In fact from a lot of recent vids and interviews, he has not really mentioned much about his time at VCU. This is in contrast to all the stuff I have heard and seen from Eric, Mo, Troy, Treveon.....and perhaps Larry. Don't want to make a really huge deal out of it but just something I have noticed.

rammad90

Elite Member
outside of showing a bit of weight room workout footage, there was not a single mention of VCU by Bones. In fact from a lot of recent vids and interviews, he has not really mentioned much about his time at VCU. This is in contrast to all the stuff I have heard and seen from Eric, Mo, Troy, Treveon.....and perhaps Larry. Don't want to make a really huge deal out of it but just something I have noticed.
Agreed, he really doesnt mention his time at VCU other than to talk about missing the NCAA Tournament. Might be that he has bigger issues to discuss.

IstanbulRam

Elite Member
Bones' time at VCU was hardly orthodox. 2019 the team imploded for reasons that are still unclear to me and the season was essentially cancelled due to Covid. 2020 there was a shortened season and VCU missed out on the tourney due to Covid. Not exactly ideal.

On top of that Bones never really got the chance to have the full VCU college experience that the others got (No partying off season, no sold out arena cheering him on during his breakout season). I think we are reading a bit too much into it. But it isn't really all that surprising that Bones isn't as attached to VCU as some of the four year guys are.

SteveMM

Elite Member
We published a special offseason edition of Rams Rewind podcast this morning, breaking down and celebrating Bones Hyland being drafted into the NBA. Give it a listen at the link below or on your favorite podcast site!

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Bones' time at VCU was hardly orthodox. 2019 the team imploded for reasons that are still unclear to me and the season was essentially cancelled due to Covid. 2020 there was a shortened season and VCU missed out on the tourney due to Covid. Not exactly ideal.

On top of that Bones never really got the chance to have the full VCU college experience that the others got (No partying off season, no sold out arena cheering him on during his breakout season). I think we are reading a bit too much into it. But it isn't really all that surprising that Bones isn't as attached to VCU as some of the four year guys are.
No matter how often he brings it up, national announcers will mention it basically every time he enters the game or the first time he scores (here's hoping those are synonymous). And it's not like our staff won't mention it now and again on the recruiting trail.

Mercury

Elite Member

Who cares? For the success we've had as a program we sure do have a high level of insecurity in the fanbase.