Bracketology Thread

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I have always thought there should be a rule that you must finish .500 or better in your conference schedule to be considered for an at-large bid.
That sounds good on the surface, and it would definitely benefit us because we would be no where close to an at large with a .500 A10 record anyway, but I don't think it should be a hard line disqualification. Every game should be weighted the same between conference and non conference and of course non balanced conference schedules make a difference as well. A team with a 13-0 non con record and an 8-10 conference record would be left out even if they have enough quality wins to be included. That same team could also be in the toughest conference in the country and had to play the top 4 teams twice while another team could finish 9-9 and only played the top teams once at home. That doesn't mean that they have to pick teams with 14 losses and weak resumes, but I think they should have the option to choose a 21-10 (8-10) team if the numbers support it.

Reactions: 757RamFan

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
That sounds good on the surface, and it would definitely benefit us because we would be no where close to an at large with a .500 A10 record anyway, but I don't think it should be a hard line disqualification. Every game should be weighted the same between conference and non conference and of course non balanced conference schedules make a difference as well. A team with a 13-0 non con record and an 8-10 conference record would be left out even if they have enough quality wins to be included. That same team could also be in the toughest conference in the country and had to play the top 4 teams twice while another team could finish 9-9 and only played the top teams once at home. That doesn't mean that they have to pick teams with 14 losses and weak resumes, but I think they should have the option to choose a 21-10 (8-10) team if the numbers support it.
Well, every rule is made to be broken. LOL. I think you certainly hit on an exception that would possibly merit an at-large bid. I think you are right in that a .500 conference record shouldn’t be a hard line DQ. Perhaps a better way to put it would be that it is a guideline.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
If you can’t get over..500 against your peers that you share conference benefits ie TV ,recruiting,money,conference affiliation then you haven’t earn a spot...

Reactions: SWV and ssvcu90

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
This. The Power 5 conferences have 50%+1 voting power on all rules changes in D1 Men's NCAA. They'll never sign off.
Are you sure about that? I could very well be wrong but I thought each D1 conference had representation to vote. I tried to find the process via google but came up empty.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Are you sure about that? I could very well be wrong but I thought each D1 conference had representation to vote. I tried to find the process via google but came up empty.
The NCAA changed the bylaws for D1 basketball in 2013 2015. That was the compromise after the P5 threatened to split off and form their own league. They demanded to have majority voting power because in their minds, they create most of the revenue for the sport.

Reactions: Ramcounter

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Reactions: BracketForecast