Bracketology Thread

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Virginia Tech is going to get left out unless they get off the bubble. Non-conference SOS is in the 340's. Embarrassing for an ACC school.

Reactions: rvaram

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Virginia Tech is going to get left out unless they get off the bubble. Non-conference SOS is in the 340's. Embarrassing for an ACC school.
Not sure Virginia Tech even thought they had a chance to make the big dance prior to the season starting. New coach and lots of turnover in the off season. That's why their non-conference SOS was so weak this year. They intentionally scheduled light due to all of the changes in the off season. If anything, they have overachieved this season.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Not sure Virginia Tech even thought they had a chance to make the big dance prior to the season starting. New coach and lots of turnover in the off season. That's why their non-conference SOS was so weak this year. They intentionally scheduled light due to all of the changes in the off season. If anything, they have overachieved this season.
They are consistently in the 300's year after year.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I will be curious to see how Mike Young schedules the OOC. I don't imagine he had too much of a hand in it this year since he was only hired in April or May.
wonder if he wants to start a Home/Home but the AD at Virginia Tech says no because we're "beneath them."

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Don't laugh at me, but I just looked at Davidson's resume and they could get to the bubble if they catch fire. But it would take winning like 8 of their last 11 or something like that, which I don't expect.

Apr 20, 2009
I say this every year, you have to analyze us in comparison to all of the other bubble teams before you can say that. For example, there are a number of bracketologist who have us in as of now: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/. Here's SB Nation's take on the bubble right now:
You can't assess our resume in a vacuum. Obviously, we are no where close to being a lock but I don't think you can say definitively right now that it's not enough.
I go by Jerry and his assessment for the most part. Got to spend an hour with him in New Orleans for the CFP Championship. Lots of fun. Really cool guy. He doesn't look at any other bracketology predictions. He loves the Peppas and VCU. He is a big band guy. All 4 of his kids are involved in band. My point was that if we only beat the lower tier teams in our league and our only signature win is LSU we wont get an at large bid. One good win and a bunch of mediocre ones will not be enough.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Don't laugh at me, but I just looked at Davidson's resume and they could get to the bubble if they catch fire. But it would take winning like 8 of their last 11 or something like that, which I don't expect.
They play at the Smith Center on Wednesday. That one will be interesting because the Colonials have been playing good of late.

Apr 20, 2009
West Coast basketball outside of Gonzaga, St Mary's Arizona and Oregon is just not very good. USC is good this year but in the recent past they have not been..Utah used to be consistently good but not anymore. There are an abundance of talented players out there but many of them come east for college. Same with football. Ive watched Gonzaga play a little this year and i was not overly impressed. They seem to always disappoint in the tourney. Maybe this year will be different.
I have always felt that Stanford and Memphis resumes were overvalued by other bracketologists. Their resumes were always super thin, they just had high NET rankings. Now they have both suffered questionable losses and their resumes are even thinner. Also, Texas Tech, NC State, and Virginia Tech have all faltered. Over the past week. A win against UR likely will put us back in my field. Two wins this week will catapult us up to the 8/9 line.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I go by Jerry and his assessment for the most part. Got to spend an hour with him in New Orleans for the CFP Championship. Lots of fun. Really cool guy. He doesn't look at any other bracketology predictions. He loves the Peppas and VCU. He is a big band guy. All 4 of his kids are involved in band. My point was that if we only beat the lower tier teams in our league and our only signature win is LSU we wont get an at large bid. One good win and a bunch of mediocre ones will not be enough.
He's ranked 85th out of 133 on the Bracket Matrix. The 36th percentile.

Reactions: Mistachill