Bracketology Thread

Nov 10, 2012
Tuesday, 1/30:

Moving In: Texas Tech
Moving Out: Utah State

Richmond is the last team in, playing Virginia in Dayton.

Talk about having a disappointing season, look at Utah State. They were a preseason top 15 team I believe and a team with a mostly juniors and seniors.

Jan 17, 2010
Talk about having a disappointing season, look at Utah State. They were a preseason top 15 team I believe and a team with a mostly juniors and seniors.
This drives home the point for me that it can always be worse and what a privilege it is to complain about a team that is a perennial NCAA tournament team. The two worst VCU seasons since I’ve been a fan are a CBI Championship and missing the tournament as an above 500 team.

Doesn’t mean we can’t ask for or expect better but it does offer perspective.

Apr 20, 2009
You cant be serious. San Diego St. has been good since Steve Fisher took over and rebuilt the program 20 years ago. Since 05-06, San Diego St has 13 20+ win seasons, 8 24+ win seasons, 6 seasons 26+ wins seasons, 3 30+ win seasons, 8 NCAA appearances, 2 sweet 16 appearances.

Their worst season in that time is something like 19-13.

On those terms alone, their program is comparable to ours.
Yea i totally overlooked them. So many of their games tip off late and i dont believe their league has a contract with ESPN so they get very little air time compared to the other good conferences. Rock solid program.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
This drives home the point for me that it can always be worse and what a privilege it is to complain about a team that is a perennial NCAA tournament team. The two worst VCU seasons since I’ve been a fan are a CBI Championship and missing the tournament as an above 500 team.

Doesn’t mean we can’t ask for or expect better but it does offer perspective.
Well said, preseason talk is great during the preseason, but once the ball tips in November there are 350+ other teams in the country that don't care about your preseason expectations, your feelings, or what you think you are entitled to. Everyone starts the season 0-0 and it is a battle from there. We are 16-5 with a lot of tough games coming up. We can still realistically achieve all of our goals for the season, but nothing is guaranteed.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
The more I look at Rhody's resume, the more I think they should be either in or right on the cut line. UR and Rhody have nearly identical resumes, and Richmond is my last team in. Unrelated to conference affiliation, I'm putting keeping Richmond barely in and Rhody one spot behind them as the first team out. If we're being honest, I'd project Rhody as a 60% chance to make it, as I think they will beat Dayton at home in March.

IForgotTheAlamo

Top Member
Feb 8, 2012
Imagine if in the year that UVA finally beat Tech to snap that long drought against the Hokies... UVA missed the Tourney & Va Tech got in?

Also, when's the last time (if ever) that a team won the National Title one year.... and completely missed the NCAA Tourney the next year? Just curious, cause UVA is kinda on that pace this year
Imagine losing to a 16-seed, then winning the National Championship, then not making the tournament at all

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
The more I look at Rhody's resume, the more I think they should be either in or right on the cut line. UR and Rhody have nearly identical resumes, and Richmond is my last team in. Unrelated to conference affiliation, I'm putting keeping Richmond barely in and Rhody one spot behind them as the first team out. If we're being honest, I'd project Rhody as a 60% chance to make it, as I think they will beat Dayton at home in March.
who wins the conference if all 3 of us finish 16-2?

Aug 7, 2012
I’m not on board with RI beating Dayton. They have our number, but they’re a paper tiger against other good teams.

Reactions: VCU94MCV98

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Yea i totally overlooked them. So many of their games tip off late and i dont believe their league has a contract with ESPN so they get very little air time compared to the other good conferences. Rock solid program.
We watched them play New Mexico last night. They tore them up.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
The three that other brackets mention seem to be Alabama, Arizona ST, and Xavier.