Bracketology Thread

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Playing the tournament on our home court also complicates things a bit. I'm not sure that we have enough wiggle room to sustain a quarterfinal loss at home, but it wouldn't be seen as a resume building win either. If we make it to Saturday but lose in the semifinals I think it becomes a toss up. If we can get two wins this weekend I definitely like our chances. I think they would have a slotted into the tournament before the championship game is even played.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Oh, yes. I completely agree about Lunardi. You quoted me without my follow up statement about them. I just used them as an example. Just wanted to show how close we are to be out and more importantly how close we are to being in.
My bad, good call.
The bubble *appears* to be shrinking.

Seton Hall and Xavier look like two teams that could be snake bitten if SLU, Wichita State, etc steal a bid next week.
Xavier has only two wins away from home and both are outside the Top 100. Seton Hall now has a record of 13-11 and if they lose this weekend 13-12 puts them in a tough position.

VCUs motto as always - Just Win.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I love how a 14-11 Maryland (4-6 in conference) can lose to Northwestern and not a single "bracketologist" bats an eye...I know, I know...Big10 is great blah blah blah....Guess it's just my Napolean Complex from being part of a mid major situation for decades. darn THAT MASON LOSS!!!!

Reactions: DisplacedRam

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
My bad, good call.
The bubble *appears* to be shrinking.

Seton Hall and Xavier look like two teams that could be snake bitten if SLU, Wichita State, etc steal a bid next week.
UCONN is a much better team with Boughknight and Witchita St with Etienne.

VCU was a rectruiting finalist for both Boughknight and Etienne because they were both on the PSA cardinals. Etienne was Boughknights backup SG...

Could you imagine if VCU got Boughknight, Etienne and Bones in 2019:shock:

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Playing the tournament on our home court also complicates things a bit. I'm not sure that we have enough wiggle room to sustain a quarterfinal loss at home, but it wouldn't be seen as a resume building win either. If we make it to Saturday but lose in the semifinals I think it becomes a toss up. If we can get two wins this weekend I definitely like our chances. I think they would have a slotted into the tournament before the championship game is even played.
I think most VCU fans agree with this sentiment.

If we go 2-0 this weekend, we will be 19-6 with a championship opportunity on Selection Sunday.
If we win the Q-Final game it'll be a Q3 win which won't boost our resume, but it is still another win. If we were to lose in the Semi-Final I would badly prefer it to be Davidson because that would only be a Q2 loss. 18-7 would still be a good resume.
If we lose in the Q-Final it'll be a Q3 home loss regardless of who we play. It won't be a resume killer, but man 17-7 with no scheduled games and three Q3 home losses will make us sweat until Selection Sunday.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I think most VCU fans agree with this sentiment.

If we go 2-0 this weekend, we will be 19-6 with a championship opportunity on Selection Sunday.
If we win the Q-Final game it'll be a Q3 win which won't boost our resume, but it is still another win. If we were to lose in the Semi-Final I would badly prefer it to be Davidson because that would only be a Q2 loss. 18-7 would still be a good resume.
If we lose in the Q-Final it'll be a Q3 home loss regardless of who we play. It won't be a resume killer, but man 17-7 with no scheduled games and three Q3 home losses will make us sweat until Selection Sunday.
Yeah, the short version is that it's extremely important that we win tomorrow. If we do, we can breathe relatively easily on Selection Sunday if we go on to lose in the semifinals. Losing tomorrow would definitely hurt our chances given how the bubble is this year.

onelasttime

Top Member
Insider
Mar 12, 2016
I love how a 14-11 Maryland (4-6 in conference) can lose to Northwestern and not a single "bracketologist" bats an eye...I know, I know...Big10 is great blah blah blah....Guess it's just my Napolean Complex from being part of a mid major situation for decades. darn THAT MASON LOSS!!!!
It's not unlikely that VCU would have a losing overall record if we were in the Big 10. It's an absolute slaughterhouse this year, probably one of the best conferences in college basketball history. Maryland is a really good team and absolutely deserving of an invitation.

Apr 21, 2009
For anyone who may express frustration at the fact that the A10 isn't as well positioned as we'd maybe like for multiple bids this year, just a quick reminder that the old CAA had exactly 2 teams who won 10 games this season, the lowest number of double digit winners in all of D1. That conference really is in a free-fall and I am proud to say we were able to get out while the getting was good.

I honestly think that with the make-up of that league now, maybe GW, Fordham, Lasalle, and Richmond (if they are no longer interested in focusing on A-10 level basketball with their new university president) consider moving to the CAA. I think there would be a few suitable rivalries for those teams- Fordham/ Hofstra, Lasalle/ Drexel, UR/William and Mary/JMU, GW/ Towson and it might give those schools more of an opportunity to compete and win consistently.

For us, I'd be sad to see Richmond leave the conference, but I think their long term commitment to competitive basketball is in question and they might well be better off in a league without as many other schools with resources. They could have been the third team in the CAA to win 10 games and may have competed for the NCAA bid. Honestly, their peer group is probably closer to Elon and William and Mary. We could still play them yearly, as we did for years when we were in separate conferences.