Players Brandon Johns is a VCU Ram

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Hopefully, the one major positive about both Johns and Zeb is that we likely got pretty trustworthy first hand knowledge and information about these two players direct from a former A10 D1 head coach.
The one....or two things I do not want to hear from MR regarding either of these recruits is, "He lacks some athleticism." (Tsohonis) or "He's not super quick." (lack speed and finesse and just clods around the court).

BradRamFan

Elite Member
My doubts and concerns for the moment have been alleviated. Johns Jr. seems to be offensive upgrade from jones and stockard. He is efiicient, is a good high low post passer and understands spacing on the floor.

If we get jamari smith then the big skillset and basket ball iq in the front court has doubled from this year
Then all we will need is a proven knock down shooter

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
Well to be fair, I seem to remember Michigan beating us like we stole something.
But we internally expect to compete with middle of the road power 5 teams right? Michigan was very middle of the road big 10. Yes they won in the tourney but middle of the road all year. Now we get two guys who people externally are saying weren’t good enough to play there but should be great pickups for VCU. Just makes you think of how we either have blinders on as fans or how lowly the rest of the college basketball world views us, or both. I’m optimistic about both because of our style and the fact that they weren’t Howard recruits.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Some teams are just not right for the right people. Some people are just not right for some programs. The fit isn't always right. It does not mean they cannot thrive elsewhere. Jairus Lyles. Everyone of us knew he'd be a complete stud. I don't know what happened here with him, perhaps any one of a number of things. And yeah, it COULD have been anything. I asked a lot of people why no Jairus after seeing him the black and gold game. Three people told me two word. Because Shaka. But FWIW I think we freakin snoozed on him. But it was what it was.

But we internally expect to compete with middle of the road power 5 teams right? Michigan was very middle of the road big 10. Yes they won in the tourney but middle of the road all year. Now we get two guys who people externally are saying weren’t good enough to play there but should be great pickups for VCU. Just makes you think of how we either have blinders on as fans or how lowly the rest of the college basketball world views us, or both. I’m optimistic about both because of our style and the fact that they weren’t Howard recruits.
I think these guys just want to play somewhere where the coach will be at all of the games. UofM had a different coach when they beat us in Pontiac. John BeiLein is a great coach and he even said nice things about the VCU program when he was at UR.

You act as if this is surprising. Of course they see us as mid major.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
You act as if this is surprising. Of course they see us as mid major.
I’ve always considered the best of the mid majors to be just as good as the middle of the pack P5s so it’s surprising to me when others see Big10 middle of the road and A10 top tier as not equally as talented

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Shows what P5 people/fans think of VCU. Guys who aren’t good enough at Michigan should be Good additions for measly ol VCU? Either they’re good or they’re not.
Was just going to post something similar. A lot of P5 fans think that any player from a p5 program is so much better than any mid-major player
Heck, it's one of the reasons ESPN had Bones listed as the #66 recruit available.....until they actually looked up from their P5 bowl and watched him play last summer.
That said, there are players in many programs what get limited time because they are young and are up against junior and senior level competition on their team. So lets hope both Zeb and Johns come in and step up.....they both have some open spots they can play and prove their worth.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Shows what P5 people/fans think of VCU. Guys who aren’t good enough at Michigan should be Good additions for measly ol VCU? Either they’re good or they’re not.
could be a MICH fan who thought that Zeb/Brandon should have gotten more minutes there and will blossom here

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
I’ve always considered the best of the mid majors to be just as good as the middle of the pack P5s so it’s surprising to me when others see Big10 middle of the road and A10 top tier as not equally as talented
As a team, I think you are right— they are very competitive. On a player by player basis, it’s close sometimes but pretty much always advantage to the P5. The fact the association is filled with mostly P5 guys is not because there are more of them….it’s fair to expect that we have enough talent, chemistry and stones to compete with them, they can still be more talented to a man. I feel good about these two, they are roster upgrades.