Players Brandon Johns is a VCU Ram

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Over 4500 D1 college basketball players and armageddon is being declared based on a less than 1% of examples. 🤷‍♂️

You say less than 1%, yet VCU had 4 scholarship players enter the transfer portal this spring. That's 31% of the 13 player scholarship limit of the team.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
You say less than 1%, yet VCU had 4 scholarship players enter the transfer portal this spring. That's 31% of the 13 player scholarship limit of the team.
He’s talking about large NIL deals for transfers, not the transfers themselves. The size of the portal hasn’t changed much with NIL than it did just prior to NIL.

BGDragoon80

Insider
He’s talking about large NIL deals for transfers, not the transfers themselves. The size of the portal hasn’t changed much with NIL than it did just prior to NIL.
Only time will tell whether or how NIL's will impact the transfer portal. NIL is in its infancy.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

At this point, NIL's and the transfer portal go hand in hand.

Mercury

Elite Member
We won't know the NIL impact on the portal until the end of the extra covid year guys.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
There is no correlation of any of the 4 leaving today that indicates it was a result of NIL, which is the topic of my post. If anything there are several obvious arguments that could be made for all of the departed except Ward.

Nichols did play but 37 min all year. I don't buy and extended injury because even after MR stated hey would play when he played, he played another 7 min so I can't believe it was injury related.

TSO just could never pickup the defense and because he couldn't stay on the court, he could never get into a consistent rhythm as a shooter. ( For example Melvin was not a good defender but was incredible reliable on offense, except his last few games part of which was due to an ankle injury.

MBJ had concerns off the court and he wanted a bigger role on the court

Ward to me was the exception but honestly, has never been the same player since the departure of his roommate Tre. Add the injury plagued year and may be he jsut wanted a fresh start.

For players like MBJ and Ward, the guarantee that they can play immediately makes it an easier decision to transfer. I also would not be surprised if Nichols plays for coastal next year via a magic waiver. TSO, I am less convinced that he will play next year and that probably is a factor into why he has not committed at this point

The same way schools like Duke had to adapt to the one and down, schools like VCU will have to adapt to not having multiple players for 4 years. There are a number of reasons players are going to transfer but NIL today is not the predominant reason which again was the topic of my post

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
@WillWeaverRVA is RGL an anonymous assistant coach/staffer/insider? Many past, current, and future players follow him.