Players Brandon Johns is a VCU Ram

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

Brandon Johns, VCU: Johns averaged 10 points and four rebounds as a starter for Michigan during the 2021 NCAA Tournament when Isaiah Livers was out of the lineup with an injury, but never found a regular rhythm in Michigan’s rotation last season. At 6-8, Johns’ soft hands and accuracy around the basket should make him a dangerous weapon for VCU in the Atlantic 10.

BradRamFan

Elite Member

Brandon Johns, VCU: Johns averaged 10 points and four rebounds as a starter for Michigan during the 2021 NCAA Tournament when Isaiah Livers was out of the lineup with an injury, but never found a regular rhythm in Michigan’s rotation last season. At 6-8, Johns’ soft hands and accuracy AROUND the basket should make him a dangerous weapon for VCU in the Atlantic 10.
"Around" is the key word here. As much as people love to talk up the "non-traditional" post player who plays way out on the 3 point line, we need Johns, Fermin, DaLouch and Tobi to hang out within 5-8 feet, if not closer, to the basket. We win games when we actually have a post presence. If we try to play the two legged stool scheme without a traditional post game throughout this season, it will not end well......I guarantee it.
I'm so tired of seeing us play with a completely vacant post area for half the season and then we try to adjust and MR says we need to play more inside out. Granted Ward never seemed to develop beyond the alley-oop dunk bucket and Skeen seemed to take a step back after his early season injury. But we need to have a sustained post presence on offense.
And if we do have our "center" come out to screen, I would like to see us at least attempt to pass it back to the center when he cuts back to the basket. I think we've tried that play all of about two times in the last couple of years. Hopefully Johns has good hands. He should have the size to post up down low. JJ was pretty good at getting the ball in the hole when he got the ball underneath. I'll wait on Fermin and Tobi until I see them actually play at the college level.
But we must have an offensive post present if want to win. A two legged stool is just going to tip over and that doesn't win games.

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
"Around" is the key word here. As much as people love to talk up the "non-traditional" post player who plays way out on the 3 point line, we need Johns, Fermin, DaLouch and Tobi to hang out within 5-8 feet, if not closer, to the basket. We win games when we actually have a post presence. If we try to play the two legged stool scheme without a traditional post game throughout this season, it will not end well......I guarantee it.
I'm so tired of seeing us play with a completely vacant post area for half the season and then we try to adjust and MR says we need to play more inside out. Granted Ward never seemed to develop beyond the alley-oop dunk bucket and Skeen seemed to take a step back after his early season injury. But we need to have a sustained post presence on offense.
And if we do have our "center" come out to screen, I would like to see us at least attempt to pass it back to the center when he cuts back to the basket. I think we've tried that play all of about two times in the last couple of years. Hopefully Johns has good hands. He should have the size to post up down low. JJ was pretty good at getting the ball in the hole when he got the ball underneath. I'll wait on Fermin and Tobi until I see them actually play at the college level.
But we must have an offensive post present if want to win. A two legged stool is just going to tip over and that doesn't win games.
We are solid.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
We need to rebound and get points in the paint, but I never want to see 2 big guys in the paint at the same time on offense. We have guards that can get to the hoop and too much clogging of the paint with 2 big men and 2 defenders hampers that a lot. Creating driving lanes by not clogging the paint has been one of the slowest adaptations by college offenses over the last decade. Having too many feet in the paint also stagnates the offense and results in less off the ball movement and fewer perimeter opportunities. If Johns is playing the 4 with Deloach or Fermin at the 5, then I want to see Johns on the perimeter using his versatility and letting the 5 handle most of the paint duties.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
We need to rebound and get points in the paint, but I never want to see 2 big guys in the paint at the same time on offense. We have guards that can get to the hoop and too much clogging of the paint with 2 big men and 2 defenders hampers that a lot. Creating driving lines by not clogging the paint has been one of the slowest adaptations by college offenses over the last decade. Having too many feet in the paint also stagnates the offense and results in less off the ball movement and fewer perimeter opportunities. If Johns is playing the 4 with Deloach or Fermin at the 5, then I want to see Johns on the perimeter using his versatility and letting the 5 handle most of the paint duties.
Cliff Note: Better spacing on the floor.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
We need to rebound and get points in the paint, but I never want to see 2 big guys in the paint at the same time on offense. We have guards that can get to the hoop and too much clogging of the paint with 2 big men and 2 defenders hampers that a lot. Creating driving lines by not clogging the paint has been one of the slowest adaptations by college offenses over the last decade. Having too many feet in the paint also stagnates the offense and results in less off the ball movement and fewer perimeter opportunities. If Johns is playing the 4 with Deloach or Fermin at the 5, then I want to see Johns on the perimeter using his versatility and letting the 5 handle most of the paint duties.
A problem with the college game compared to the NBA is there are different rule in the NBA to make sure defensive team can't clog up the paint if the other team doesn't have anyone there offensively. See how often teams played 5 out against the Bonnies last year and how often their big guy (name not recalling now) actually left the paint to guard them. I'm not sure if I want to change the rules in college, but developing those driving lanes is more difficult than the NBA.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
A problem with the college game compared to the NBA is there are different rule in the NBA to make sure defensive team can't clog up the paint if the other team doesn't have anyone there offensively. See how often teams played 5 out against the Bonnies last year and how often their big guy (name not recalling now) actually left the paint to guard them. I'm not sure if I want to change the rules in college, but developing those driving lanes is more difficult than the NBA.
If you have shooters, then they have to come out to guard them. We’re perfectly capable of putting enough mid range and 3 point shooters on the floor to make teams come out and guard. Of course, spacing doesn’t matter if no one on your team can shoot.

If you have shooters, then they have to come out to guard them. We’re perfectly capable of putting enough mid range and 3 point shooters on the floor to make teams come out and guard. Of course, spacing doesn’t matter if no one on your team can shoot.
Exactly, and we’ve had some lean years hitting from the outside recently.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Exactly, and we’ve had some lean years hitting from the outside recently.
On paper, this is one of our better shooting teams. On the court, we'll have to see. I think we will be very capable this year shooting the ball.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I do agree that two men just hanging in the paint can clog up the driving lanes. My concern is that we have a vacant post for 75% of the game because everyone is on the perimeter. We had that a number of times last year on the offensive end. Then all the defense has to worry about is the 3 point shot which we weren't exceptionally good at last year or the entire defense just collapses on anyone that begins to step in the lane for a drive and we become so focused on the drive and shot we don't pass it back out and thus shooting in the 10 trees/arms of the defense. Ok I am exaggerating a bit. But if all the defense has to worry about is the 3 point from way beyond the arc and the dribble drive, it makes it much easier for the defense.....hang out on the perimeter or just collapse.....no need to actually have a man or two trying to also guard the post. That was my main point. We need one player in the game to consistently be in the paint on offense. It helps to space the floor, especially on the perimeter.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I know it's real early but I've seen enough to confidently say this man should be declaring for the NBA draft after this season here. His skills are polished. He's got a mind for the game. I can tell he's got a bag of tricks we truly haven't begun to witness yet- he hasn't yet begun to unload on dudes. I REALLY like BJohns.