News Breaking: NCAA to grant additional year to some, discussing more

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
When planning, you have to assume everyone will take advantage of the opportunity. None of VCU's seniors are preparing to the NBA draft.

And when you do your math regarding scholarships, not every player is an in-state player. The cost of attendance for out-of-state players is much higher. 3 out of 5 of VCU's seniors are out-of-state. The cost is not "minimal" as you suggest.
Sure, assume every senior across college basketball comes back. Where are all these minutes available at other programs?

You think the cost to vcu for an out of state student is more than an instate student? Seriously? The amount the school charges out of state students does not reflect the cost to vcu to accommodate an out of state student vs an in state student.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I still haven’t seen a compelling reason to give an entire season to people when most of them had 0-3 games left when the postseason was cancelled.
Because some kids have spent their entire lives preparing for march madness and, through no fault of their own, may have been stripped of the opportunity. Plus, there’s no little to no harm to give them one more opportunity if your the NCAA.

Reactions: MobileMunchies
Aug 7, 2012
You've been given several examples of harm.

1. Some schools won’t be able to afford it.
2. It’s unfair to underclassmen who will lose playing time.
3. It’s unfair to incoming freshmen that would be joining a different team than they were recruited to.
4. It provides a competitive advantage to school that bring back more seniors and have more scholarships than other teams.

And no one has made a case for how this is different than a senior having a season ending injury at the end of the season. Briante Weber had a late season injury his senior year. It cost him the NCAA career steals record, the A10 tourney, and the NCAA Tournament. He didn’t get an extra year. The only difference here is the number of people affected. As individual, they aren’t affected any worse than Briante was.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
One down side to all of this is it sets up some potentially awkward conversations where a coach really may not want a player back. I get it for spring sports—but believe it is a knee-jerk reaction to the “hurt” of no tourney. Now is not the time to make any “big” decisions of this nature. Costs are really a minimal concern.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Because some kids have spent their entire lives preparing for march madness and, through no fault of their own, may have been stripped of the opportunity. Plus, there’s no little to no harm to give them one more opportunity if your the NCAA.
They call it a "post-season" for a reason. Every one of these players have played the entire regular season, and most would not play in the NCAA Tournament. Do Fordham, GMU, La Salle, St. Joe's and GW seniors deserve another full year of eligibility because their "post-season" was cut short by probably one game? This is nothing more than an hastily ill thought out proposal where little to no research has been done looking at both the positives and negatives. They just cancelled the post-season two days ago and now they are already trying to fast track a major decision two days later that can have huge implications on a major percentage of college sports. Where is the due diligence here? Life is not always fair in sports or the real world.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
You've been given several examples of harm.

1. Some schools won’t be able to afford it.
2. It’s unfair to underclassmen who will lose playing time.
3. It’s unfair to incoming freshmen that would be joining a different team than they were recruited to.
4. It provides a competitive advantage to school that bring back more seniors and have more scholarships than other teams.

And no one has made a case for how this is different than a senior having a season ending injury at the end of the season. Briante Weber had a late season injury his senior year. It cost him the NCAA career steals record, the A10 tourney, and the NCAA Tournament. He didn’t get an extra year. The only difference here is the number of people affected. As individual, they aren’t affected any worse than Briante was.
Sorry I’m not by a computer, so going respond numerically instead of splicing up your msg.

1. If a school can’t afford it, they do not have to offer seniors another year
2. Many freshmen do not play in general. And what little they do lose, they gain time leaning and playing against experienced players. Not sure PT outweighs that experience.
3. The decision to leave would be at the discretion of the incoming freshman. A school cannot “takeaway” an scholarship from a freshman whose signed a nli.
4. You mean the same schools that would have had a competitive advantage this March?

Underlying your concerns seems to be that freshman are entitled to PT and deserve to face non 5th year seniors. I think both of those assumptions are faulty.

In regards to Bri, I’m not sure it was fair he couldn’t request a waiver, but what I do know (thanks ma) two wrongs don’t make a right.

Aug 7, 2012
Sorry I’m not by a computer, so going respond numerically instead of splicing up your msg.

1. If a school can’t afford it, they do not have to offer seniors another year
2. Many freshmen do not play in general. And what little they do lose, they gain time leaning and playing against experienced players. Not sure PT outweighs that experience.
3. The decision to leave would be at the discretion of the incoming freshman. A school cannot “takeaway” an scholarship from a freshman whose signed a nli.
4. You mean the same schools that would have had a competitive advantage this March?

Underlying your concerns seems to be that freshman are entitled to PT and deserve to face non 5th year seniors. I think both of those assumptions are faulty.

In regards to Bri, I’m not sure it was fair he couldn’t request a waiver, but what I do know (thanks ma) two wrongs don’t make a right.
You don’t think a team with 2-4 more scholarships next year than other teams would have more of a competitive advantage than they would have had this year? There’s a reason why all teams are allowed the same number of scholarships.

Freshmen aren’t entitled to anything, but you seem to completely discount how their careers would be affected for an entire season just to make things up for seniors that missed out on a few games. You seem to only see this from one side of the equation. As much as I feel for a guy like Marcus Evans, he’s been in school for 5 years and played in 125 college basketball games. I’d rather Bones, Clark, and Ace get those minutes next year. It’s their turn. And that goes for all of or underclassmen and incoming freshmen.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
You don’t think a team with 2-4 more scholarships next year than other teams would have more of a competitive advantage than they would have had this year? There’s a reason why all teams are allowed the same number of scholarships.

Freshmen aren’t entitled to anything, but you seem to completely discount how their careers would be affected for an entire season just to make things up for seniors that missed out on a few games. You seem to only see this from one side of the equation. As much as I feel for a guy like Marcus Evans, he’s been in school for 5 years and played in 125 college basketball games. I’d rather Bones, Clark, and Ace get those minutes next year. It’s their turn. And that goes for all of or underclassmen and incoming freshmen.
If seniors are taking PT as you and others have stated, then no.l, because then freshman on scholarships a latent contributing.

I’m not saying seniors that would return deserve to play. Play whoever is best. Just like it’s not younger players “turn”.

Aug 7, 2012
If seniors are taking PT as you and others have stated, then no.l, because then freshman on scholarships a latent contributing.

I’m not saying seniors that would return deserve to play. Play whoever is best. Just like it’s not younger players “turn”.
You seem to completely miss the point. 18-19 year old freshmen are probably not going to beat out 23-24 year old second year seniors. They signed with programs where those players wouldn’t be there. It’s much more unfair to these freshmen to have an entire season of lost playing time to players that shouldn’t be there than it’s unfair that seniors missed a few tournament games.