News Breaking: NCAA to grant additional year to some, discussing more

RamDaddio

Top Member
Apr 18, 2015
I personally hope they vote no on both seasons. I know it's heartbreaking for the athletes, but everyone in some way is feeling this crisis. Life isn't always fair and you have to roll with it and move on. Many, many senior students (high school and college) aren't getting the experience they were expecting either to wrap up their time in school. Sucks all the way around imo.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I personally hope they vote no on both seasons. I know it's heartbreaking for the athletes, but everyone in some way is feeling this crisis. Life isn't always fair and you have to roll with it and move on. Many, many senior students (high school and college) aren't getting the experience they were expecting either to wrap up their time in school. Sucks all the way around imo.
Incoming high school athletes is what they need to think about when deciding. If they do allow all seniors to come back I wonder what they will do when it comes to scholarships. They most certainly would have to expand or some incoming freshmen (or prospective recruits) are going to be disappointed in more ways than one.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Incoming high school athletes is what they need to think about when deciding. If they do allow all seniors to come back I wonder what they will do when it comes to scholarships. They most certainly would have to expand or some incoming freshmen (or prospective recruits) are going to be disappointed in more ways than one.
For spring sports I think they should be granted another year of eligibility and scholarship and roster limits will have to be adjusted. Another question will be do you only give the seniors another year or do you consider this year's brief season a redshirt season for all spring sport athletes. Even if they do expand scholarship limits some schools won't be able to afford that so incoming players could feel the crunch there. Of course many seniors who have already graduated are probably ready to move on with their lives and won't be coming back to school so it may not be a major issue. Also depending on what states that have closed down schools for the year decide some current high school seniors may not be graduating on time.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
So if this passes, which seniors get to come back? For those teams that had already been eliminated from their 1-bid conference tournaments, do they get to come back? If a coach doesn't want a senior to come back, does he get to transfer somewhere else? And what if the kid attends a school that doesn't have an appropriate graduate school? Does he get to play without taking any classes?

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
So if this passes, which seniors get to come back? For those teams that had already been eliminated from their 1-bid conference tournaments, do they get to come back? If a coach doesn't want a senior to come back, does he get to transfer somewhere else? And what if the kid attends a school that doesn't have an appropriate graduate school? Does he get to play without taking any classes?
if the should-have-graduated senior gets another year, what about the rising junior who patiently waited his/her turn for the starting spot only to have returning senior take it back? Do the juniors get another year?

If you adjust roster allowances for the returning seniors, what happens to the teams that had no graduating seniors and thus have no "extra" players; do they get more roster spots for the year? Would it be fair to allow team 1 to have 16 players (including several super-seniors) and team 2 to have only 13? So if both team suffered multiple injuries the former glides along without a hiccup and the latter does not?

This is a seriously complex situation, and I am not sure there is an answer that is fair to everyone. But my guess is they give Spring athletes the additional year, adjust

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
if the should-have-graduated senior gets another year, what about the rising junior who patiently waited his/her turn for the starting spot only to have returning senior take it back? Do the juniors get another year?

If you adjust roster allowances for the returning seniors, what happens to the teams that had no graduating seniors and thus have no "extra" players; do they get more roster spots for the year? Would it be fair to allow team 1 to have 16 players (including several super-seniors) and team 2 to have only 13? So if both team suffered multiple injuries the former glides along without a hiccup and the latter does not?

This is a seriously complex situation, and I am not sure there is an answer that is fair to everyone. But my guess is they give Spring athletes the additional year, adjust
I guess if you redshirted it doesn’t count

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I don't think it will be an issue for winter sports at all.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I don't think it will be an issue for winter sports at all.
It will be an issue because there will be a number of programs that were especially hurt by th elimination of the postseason, and they will push the issue. I expect it to lose by a wide margin

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
It will be an issue because there will be a number of programs that were especially hurt by th elimination of the postseason, and they will push the issue. I expect it to lose by a wide margin
Yeah, but how many of those programs had 4th year seniors that would be willing to return? I don't know that any of ours would. Dayton had a historic season, but their best player wasn't a senior and he is moving on. A lot of other teams are in the same boat. These days a lot of the better players aren't seniors and wont play 4 years of college ball any way.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah, but how many of those programs had 4th year seniors that would be willing to return? I don't know that any of ours would. Dayton had a historic season, but their best player wasn't a senior and he is moving on. A lot of other teams are in the same boat. These days a lot of the better players aren't seniors and wont play 4 years of college ball any way.
I'm just saying that someone will (a) raise a stink and (b) ultimately lose

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm just saying that someone will (a) raise a stink and (b) ultimately lose
That is possible, but I don't think there would be a huge uproar. Yes, those players deserved to finish their senior season on the court and it is not fair that they didn't have a chance to do that, but a lot of people are missing out on a lot of things because of this. In the case of winter sports I think trying to offer a fix will create more problems than it solves. I think most schools understand this and understand that many seniors wouldn't be willing to stick around for another year after graduating any way.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

I you read the original language regarding spring sports, it does not address seniors only. It reads as if ALL student athletes get an additional year of eligibility, not just the seniors. Everyone pretty much lost a season of eligibility, not just the seniors, when spring sports were shut down.