Budget Cuts

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I wish the article had indicated the amounts other large state schools had to cut from their budgets. Anyone know and have a link to what other schools are being asked to cut?

Reactions: mike7842

3sandDGuy

Top Member
Jun 30, 2013
I've been looking for numbers on UVA and haven't been able to find them yet. Absolute numbers won't be that interesting since schools not only have different size operating budgets, but different percentages of the operating budgets come from state funds. For example, VCU's operating budget is slightly less than 30% state appropriations, while the academic division of UVA (so excluding the medical center and Wise) is about 10%.

edit: comparisons are made doubly difficult by the accounting jiu jitsu done to move costs from one budget into another in order to make cases for more or less funding. For example, lots of the capital improvements at VCU (new buildings etc.) are part of a different budget with different appropriations, etc. The shell game never stops, but I can promise the academic division is never the winner (and so neither are the students).

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I've been looking for numbers on UVA and haven't been able to find them yet. Absolute numbers won't be that interesting since schools not only have different size operating budgets, but different percentages of the operating budgets come from state funds. For example, VCU's operating budget is slightly less than 30% state appropriations, while the academic division of UVA (so excluding the medical center and Wise) is about 10%.

edit: comparisons are made doubly difficult by the accounting jiu jitsu done to move costs from one budget into another in order to make cases for more or less funding. For example, lots of the capital improvements at VCU (new buildings etc.) are part of a different budget with different appropriations, etc. The shell game never stops, but I can promise the academic division is never the winner (and so neither are the students).

What matters is % of total current budget. Actual $ amount does not reflect this.

3sandDGuy

Top Member
Jun 30, 2013
What matters is % of total current budget. Actual $ amount does not reflect this.

I'm not sure % of total budget is any more interesting except as a prompt for whoever lost "more" to cry foul. Given the different missions of the various universities and the different existing budget structures, a crude percentage isn't any more apples to apples than an absolute value.

Reactions: rammad90
Jul 10, 2009

"Reagan wrote that although each institution “will determine its lowest priority activities and savings actions,” reduction strategies should preserve “the known priorities or directives of the governor and protect priorities that are essential to Virginia’s economic growth as much as possible.
Is this some sort of insider code that only VA college presidents can solve-for by using a McAuliffe decoder ring? This whole legislative process has all the clarity of a cell phone bill wrapped in a cable t.v. renewal.

In the video link associated with article McAuliffe mentions Bush's tax cuts soon to expire. What? So this budget cut is associated with George Bush? How much sharping of talking points are needed to stick yet another knife into a now 6 year old Bush corpse. Are McAuliffe's directives written down somewhere, and are the directives aligned with the G.A. who authorize spending, or how does this process work? I've now paid 16 semesters of tuition for two children at VCU and this legislative process seems to me, an outsider, to have all the integrity of the IRS.

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
Well, I guess that means that the Men's Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Cross Country, Track & Field and Golf teams as well as the Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Field Hockey, Tennis, Cross Country, Soccer, Track & Field, and Lacrosse teams will have to win NCAA tournaments to bring in that extra revenue...

I believe that they can do it!

Reactions: NewRamFan

3sandDGuy

Top Member
Jun 30, 2013
In the video link associated with article McAuliffe mentions Bush's tax cuts soon to expire. What? So this budget cut is associated with George Bush? How much sharping of talking points are needed to stick yet another knife into a now 6 year old Bush corpse.

Sequestration (that was the result of the fight over the expiring cuts) gutted defense funding, which disproportionately hits Virginia because John Warner spent years protecting our bases etc. from closure (so we were getting an XXL slice of the defense pie). The shortfall from lack of defense spending is now being taken out of the hides of basically every state agency.

It's nothing to do with blaming Bush for the current shortfall; that's just what the tax cuts were called during the fight over whether to extend them because Bush pushed them through in the first place.

Reactions: thegalen

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I'm not sure % of total budget is any more interesting except as a prompt for whoever lost "more" to cry foul. Given the different missions of the various universities and the different existing budget structures, a crude percentage isn't any more apples to apples than an absolute value.

People like across the board percentage cuts because they seem equitable, and are easy to implement. However, the impact differs depending upon the size of the initial pot being cut, and if the dollars are the first dollar or last. By this if you are a smaller entity every dollar may be critical, larger entities my have more fat to cut, or maybe able to absorb the cuts based one eliminating duplications of effort.

The amount, percentage, size of budget, ability to grow income, and age of entity all factor in.

Dec 11, 2011
Is this some sort of insider code that only VA college presidents can solve-for by using a McAuliffe decoder ring? This whole legislative process has all the clarity of a cell phone bill wrapped in a cable t.v. renewal.

In the video link associated with article McAuliffe mentions Bush's tax cuts soon to expire. What? So this budget cut is associated with George Bush? How much sharping of talking points are needed to stick yet another knife into a now 6 year old Bush corpse. Are McAuliffe's directives written down somewhere, and are the directives aligned with the G.A. who authorize spending, or how does this process work? I've now paid 16 semesters of tuition for two children at VCU and this legislative process seems to me, an outsider, to have all the integrity of the IRS.
What @3sandDGuy said: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...es-virginia-voters-eye-possible-defense-cuts/

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
It takes a lot of taxpayer money to support the continuously growing number of US troops, materials, infrastructure, personnel support, and US military bases sitting on foreign soil.

Reactions: IbleedVCU
Apr 30, 2009
It takes a lot of taxpayer money to support the millions of illegal immigrants that we have in the US, with hundreds of thousands being in Virginia.. If our politicians would act like soldiers, primary mission caring and defending the US and our citizens, the cost saved by the Virginia would be hundreds of millions of dollars a year which would greatly reduce our budget deficit.