Catching up with Bernard Harris

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider
http://wp.me/pDBgK-1Yy

Although the wild, expansive afro from college is long gone, Bernard Harris doesn’t appear far removed from the 6-foot-9 string bean from Roanoke who helped guide the VCU Basketball program through its formative years.

Now 62, Harris could pass for a man 10-12 years his junior. His lean frame is intact, but with some added muscle.

"I guess my conditioning is partly good genes, and the fact that I enjoy playing and working out," Harris said recently, via email. "It's not easy!"

He’s aged well, but not just physically. Harris’ career has also remained vibrant over the years. Nearly a decade removed from his days as a player and coach in Finland’s top pro league, where he became a star and earned national celebrity, Harris seems to have transitioned smoothly.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Insider
Thank you so much for that piece. I really enjoy the updates on our former players as I often wonder where they are and what they are doing.

Sad to say, "Supernard" was unable to make last Saturday's reunion at Siegel Center.

Jabo Wilkins, Bodine Dark, Cisco Ross, among others, were introduced at halftime of Rams' game vs. Winthrop.

However, while he wasn't able to fly to Richmond from Finland, the great "Nard" did send this:

"Hello to everyone ... just want you to know my jumper is still falling like rain."

From an ocean away, he still puts a smile on old-time Rams' faces.

You just can't imagine how strong Harris was in his four years at VCU ... with virtually no backup, he went head to head with everyone - like Centenary's Robert Parish - and hardly flinched - smoothest release for a big man I've ever seen.

Supernard forever.