Recruiting Closed" 6'10 3* PF Christian Fussell

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Dayton just offered obinna this week so we are competing for the same.bigs.
I like AG as a Coach. I didn't care for his personality very much. I think he will do big things at Dayton. However, I think it may be a while before he does VCU type things there. They have the rabid fan base, sell outs, the same demographic as VCU in terms of being a great city and school for basketball, but something appears to be off.

Maybe its because love it or hate it OSU rules Ohio and they really are a Football dominated state. Where as we in VA like our football but we love Basketball just as much if not more.

Unless AG is farting rainbows and has such an NBA connect that a kid can get a look where he wouldn't otherwise, or Mike R is a really a douche (which I don't believe for minute as Mike is and always has been MY Guy!), I'd say VCU was the better program hands down!

Not VCU bias but just looking at all the variables. I'd go Richmond over Dayton as a destination, VCU socially over Dayton, Academically they are probably a wash but VCU is less rigid, access history all over the place, and even career wise I give Richmond the edge do to location of a great deal of Fortune 500 companies and Start ups.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Not VCU bias but just looking at all the variables. I'd go Richmond over Dayton as a destination, VCU socially over Dayton, Academically they are probably a wash but VCU is less rigid, access history all over the place, and even career wise I give Richmond the edge do to location of a great deal of Fortune 500 companies and Start ups.
I agree but I doubt an 18 year old will be comparing his offers based on number fortune 500's. AG's selling point is what's he done with bigs at Dayton (Josh Cunningham, Ryan Myksel, and Obi Toppin). He can also point to Larry Sanders to some degree.

VCU, for the first time in its history, has a legit big man coach on staff and as ramification pointed out...coach Roose did monumental work with 3 lottery pick centers at Texas.

Reactions: vcugq08
Jul 30, 2014
I like AG as a Coach. I didn't care for his personality very much. I think he will do big things at Dayton. However, I think it may be a while before he does VCU type things there. They have the rabid fan base, sell outs, the same demographic as VCU in terms of being a great city and school for basketball, but something appears to be off.

Maybe its because love it or hate it OSU rules Ohio and they really are a Football dominated state. Where as we in VA like our football but we love Basketball just as much if not more.

Unless AG is farting rainbows and has such an NBA connect that a kid can get a look where he wouldn't otherwise, or Mike R is a really a douche (which I don't believe for minute as Mike is and always has been MY Guy!), I'd say VCU was the better program hands down!

What didn't you like about his personality? AG was a great guy from the times I talked to him. He played a big part in turning VCU into what it is now. 90 feet both ways is how we got started playing at a fast pace. And he got the Florida pipeline started. There's no Joey Rodriguez or Larry Sanders or Ed Nixon without AG. The man can recruit. And the best recruits aren't even staying in state with OSU. Schools have large enough budgets to recruit anywhere in the world. I have no doubt that he will be successful at Dayton.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
What didn't you like about his personality? AG was a great guy from the times I talked to him. He played a big part in turning VCU into what it is now. 90 feet both ways is how we got started playing at a fast pace. And he got the Florida pipeline started. There's no Joey Rodriguez or Larry Sanders or Ed Nixon without AG. The man can recruit. And the best recruits aren't even staying in state with OSU. Schools have large enough budgets to recruit anywhere in the world. I have no doubt that he will be successful at Dayton.
AG wasn't exactly the life of the party but he always seemed like a nice, respectful guy to me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcugq08 and mrgeode
May 3, 2012
In my interactions with him, AG was a quiet, respectful person while he was here, but, you could tell he had no real interest in VCU. Like others, he used it as a stepping stone. His quote when we won the CAA was he was "prepared for anything, except y'all (meaning the VCU fans)." We made it only a little tougher for him to leave. His demeanor/personality left a bad taste in some people's mouth.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Mar 6, 2016
Hey all, Dayton fan here. Just wondering if you guys had heard much about Fussell’s plans. He visited Dayton this past weekend but there’s been almost zero “leaked” about how it went, what he thought, what his timetable might be, etc. I know he had five visits set up as of a month ago, and it sounds as though he is planning to at least take the visit to your fine institution this weekend.

Figured it couldn’t hurt to ask if anyone had any tidbits worth sharing. We haven’t actually gone head to head with you guys for too many recruits in the last few years, and usually there’s some quotes from the player about his plans, when he may be making a decision, etc. He may just be planning to take his five visits and decide, but of course us Flyer fans were hoping he pulled the trigger last weekend and canceled the other four.

Thanks in advance. Go A10.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Hey all, Dayton fan here. Just wondering if you guys had heard much about Fussell’s plans. He visited Dayton this past weekend but there’s been almost zero “leaked” about how it went, what he thought, what his timetable might be, etc. I know he had five visits set up as of a month ago, and it sounds as though he is planning to at least take the visit to your fine institution this weekend.

Figured it couldn’t hurt to ask if anyone had any tidbits worth sharing. We haven’t actually gone head to head with you guys for too many recruits in the last few years, and usually there’s some quotes from the player about his plans, when he may be making a decision, etc. He may just be planning to take his five visits and decide, but of course us Flyer fans were hoping he pulled the trigger last weekend and canceled the other four.

Thanks in advance. Go A10.
Nope. Nothing yet.

Reactions: Doctor Bluff
Jul 30, 2014
In my interactions with him, AG was a quiet, respectful person while he was here, but, you could tell he had no real interest in VCU. Like others, he used it as a stepping stone. His quote when we won the CAA was he was "prepared for anything, except y'all (meaning the VCU fans)." We made it only a little tougher for him to leave. His demeanor/personality left a bad taste in some people's mouth.
How was his first head coaching job at the college level just used as a stepping stone? He got VCU to another level and cashed in while he could like most people would.

May 3, 2012
This is SO weird.

Imagine if your livelihood depended on the emotional stability and decision-making of 17 year old kids. I'd be a basket case
Yeah, could you imagine putting in all that time, developing all those relationships with HS and AAU coaches, the family and the player, getting a verbal commitment, and then show up NLI (National Letter of Intent) signing day with pen in hand only to find out that out of nowhere some a$$-hat coach (that would be Gregg Marshall at WSU) steals your recruit.
Maybe MR can forgive a$$-hat coach because he used to coach with him but I don't like the guy and would be fine if we don't play them again, after this year, regardless of NET rankings, etc. Forgive (for me, no), forget not ever likely.