Recruiting Closed" 6'10 3* PF Christian Fussell

May 3, 2012
How was his first head coaching job at the college level just used as a stepping stone? He got VCU to another level and cashed in while he could like most people would.
I get the stepping stone part...not unexpected. If you watched his interactions and demeanor, you could tell AG was distant and wanted to go at the first moment his resume would allow.
Capel left too but you could tell he was engaged at VCU and a bit conflicted when he left. Shaka at least thought about it for half a second over several years.
That's all I meant.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Back to the recruit, he looks like a guy with a lot of potential. Having a 6’10 guy that can shoot well from the perimeter to help floor spacing and allow our guards and wings to penetrate (like NBA offenses do) would be pretty exciting. He and Ward would give us as much length as we’ve ever had.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I get the stepping stone part...not unexpected. If you watched his interactions and demeanor, you could tell AG was distant and wanted to go at the first moment his resume would allow.
Capel left too but you could tell he was engaged at VCU and a bit conflicted when he left. Shaka at least thought about it for half a second over several years.
That's all I meant.
I agree to a certain extent, but I also think you may be reading too much into Grant's demeanor. I read similar stuff from Alabama fans (i.e. asking if he could at least act like he wants to be there). I think that's just his outward personality, he's not a warm and fuzzy guy. I would rather a guy be himself versus putting on a front. My take on Grant was that he loved interacting with young people and teaching, coaching, and molding them was his thing. Interacting with fans and donors, he could do without that part of the college coaching.

But hear you on Capel and Shaka. They both seemed to be emotionally attached to VCU. It may have something to do with both being kinda off the wall hires with light resumes, so they both appreciated the opportunity VCU gave them. Versus Grant who reportedly had interest from numerous schools before landing at VCU and was just waiting for the job that he thought was the right fit.

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
How was his first head coaching job at the college level just used as a stepping stone? He got VCU to another level and cashed in while he could like most people would.
While I liked AG, I think he was looking for his next gig even before he stepped on campus. I thought when Donovan almost left Fla he was ready to bail on us his first year. Expected him to bolt at first offer - and he did.
Back on topic - love to see another quality big like Christian as a Ram.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
While I liked AG, I think he was looking for his next gig even before he stepped on campus. I thought when Donovan almost left Fla he was ready to bail on us his first year. Expected him to bolt at first offer - and he did.
Back on topic - love to see another quality big like Christian as a Ram.
True, but to be fair, if Florida was his first offer it shouldn't be held against him. A school where he was an assistant/associate head coach for 10 years where he won a national championship that happens to be in his home state is not some random power conference school offering him a gig. My problem with AG was the next two years where it seems like he was flirting with openings every year until he pulled the trigger on the Bama job.

But I give him a pass on the Florida opening.

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
True, but to be fair, if Florida was his first offer it shouldn't be held against him. A school where he was an assistant/associate head coach for 10 years where he won a national championship that happens to be in his home state is not some random power conference school offering him a gig. My problem with AG was the next two years where it seems like he was flirting with openings every year until he pulled the trigger on the Bama job.

But I give him a pass on the Florida opening.
Great points. Who knew it was possible on this site to disagree with someone by respectfully sharing facts and an alternate opinion! You actually changed my thinking here. Thanks

Reactions: Mistachill