CMR v WW v SS v AG

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
We will be fine...eventually. I am not about to start a prediction thread.

Reason I commented "go on" is because I've seen a slew of people say "we will be fine", but I've yet to hear any real reasoning as to why. No one backs it up.

I wanna hear someone lay out the argument as to why they think we'll be fine. What if we won't be? Plenty of coaches fail at their teams. Guys get fired every year. We've had a string of losing coaches to success, but I'm sure many of us on here can remember the opposite happening (I'm a proud alumni of Sonny Smith basketball camp, I'm old enough to remember how fine that worked out for us).

I'm just curious as to why people are so confident that we will in fact be fine. I don't mean that in a mean way, I just wanna hear some details.

Mar 2, 2014
At this point, I am not sure if we will be. As a coach in the A 10 it can't be easy to sell a 4 or 5 start recruit on road trips to Fordham, and Lasalle. And if we have players on the current roster that transfer out after the season that we were going to depend on, we will not be fine.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
At this point, I am not sure if we will be. As a coach in the A 10 it can't be easy to sell a 4 or 5 start recruit on road trips to Fordham, and Lasalle. And if we have players on the current roster that transfer out after the season that we were going to depend on, we will not be fine.
Agree. I think it remains to be seen if it will be fine. I think “we’ll be fine” is a platitude at this point to try to keep a positive attitude. This has been a sad season thus far.

May 4, 2012
Reason I commented "go on" is because I've seen a slew of people say "we will be fine", but I've yet to hear any real reasoning as to why. No one backs it up.

I wanna hear someone lay out the argument as to why they think we'll be fine. What if we won't be? Plenty of coaches fail at their teams. Guys get fired every year. We've had a string of losing coaches to success, but I'm sure many of us on here can remember the opposite happening (I'm a proud alumni of Sonny Smith basketball camp, I'm old enough to remember how fine that worked out for us).

I'm just curious as to why people are so confident that we will in fact be fine. I don't mean that in a mean way, I just wanna hear some details.
Lotta faith in this Evans kid. Feels a little thin since he never did havoc at Rice.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

Here are some reasons:

1. At both Randy Mac and at Rice, Mike has been successful.
2. As Shaka used to say, players make their biggest improvements after their freshmen and sophomore years. If that is right, then we have a lot of guys who will improve over the next year or two.
3. Marcus Evans, by all accounts, is really good and a step up from any guard we have at this time.
4. The incoming freshmen class is the start of getting Mike’s guys into the program.
5. With every passing year, the guys Mike brings in will gain experience in his system, something none really had this year.
6. From a program perspective, we still have more to offer than virtually every A-10 school, and we put more resources toward the program than most of our A-10 peers.

That’s just off the top of my head.

Dec 16, 2013

we will be fine because we are VCU fans. in 40+ years I have seen it all with VCU basketball. (Chuck Noe, Dana Kirk, JD, and so on through the down years of Polio, Sonny and Mac). What most of us have seen is there is no one set formula or style that leads to winning basketball. JDs teams played differently than Shaka's but both were big time winners.

now why do I think we will be fine with MR. Because he is a high character individual, that works hard and is a competitor.
I am a believer that character is important over the long haul and that MR will work as hard as necessary to win because that is in his DNA. Can I be wrong - sure!

VCU has been blessed and cursed with 4 ambitious (and young, except anthony) and successful coaches. The model that began this was hire a young and hungry coach (Capel) that you knew if successful would leave but ideally would also leave the program in decent condition with players. Oklahoma came calling and JC left for the money and opportunity. AG followed and built on JC's success and upgraded the talent he recruited and when he left for Alabama the program had probably its best talent. Shaka another unproven but ambitious coach was selected and he brought an exciting brand of ball to VCU and opened the eyes of many high schoolers to Havoc - when Shaka left for the money and prospect of competing annually for National Championships in one of the top 2 conferences in the country he left the cupboard with plenty of experienced players for Will W. to compete for A10 championships - WW ambition to make money and compete at even a higher level sent him to LSU but WW left the cupboard the barest of all these coaches and MR has to rebuild the pipeline

All that said, MR needs to determine which of the players on his current roster want to be in the boat and buy in to his approach. If they are not willing to commit then I would encourage them to move on to some place they will be happier, whether freshmen, sophmores or juniors.

of all our coaches since Capel, I do believe MR when he says this is where he wants to be and stay (albeit if successful we need to pay him like we were paying SS)

Go rams (I am now taking off my rose colored glasses)

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

If we aren't fine then we will deal with that after 3 or 4 years. Mid February of a coach's first season just seems a little too soon to start jumping ship. I didn't come here to argue, but you can do your own research. Look at all of the other strong programs that have gone through changes the way we have. Sometimes they have a down year or two, but the cream usually rises to the top. I am more concerned about our fans than our players and coaches at this point. Many don't seem to be as dedicated as I thought they were.

BillD2007

Top Member
Jan 17, 2013
Agree. I think it remains to be seen if it will be fine. I think “we’ll be fine” is a platitude at this point to try to keep a positive attitude. This has been a sad season thus far.

And a case when a team has THREE head coach's in FOUR YEARS. If you don't think it isn't being used against us in recruiting, then I have dirt cheap ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya. I still think we'll be ok, it's going to take time to rebuild a team in this situation-esp when you have to go out and try to fill your roster after everyone's been picking away at the cabinets. Plus, we will have someone in the backcourt who will be very vocal-and that's Marcus Evans. We could sure have used him this year for sure.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
WW, our last coach, went to the 'big' ;leagues and is 15-11, 6-8 in conference. And won't make the NCAA unless they win their conf tourney.

SS, our second to last coach, is in his third year at a Power 5, and is 16-11, 6-8 in conference. And won't make the NCAA unless they win their conf tourney.

AG, our coach before SS, is 11-14, and 5-8 in conference.

Our coach is 15-12, and 7-7 in conference. And won't make the NCAA unless they win the conf tourney. But he is in his first year here with almost all new guys.

GIVE HIM A BREAK PEOPLE!!
I agree Mike needs a break. However, SS' Texas' team will make the NCAA tournament with a few more wins and no they dont need to win the Big 12 to make the tourney. They have a 15 SOS and a 66 RPI. They are in the big 12 so a few wins will most likely land them at about 50 rpi.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
And a case when a team has THREE head coach's in FOUR YEARS. If you don't think it isn't being used against us in recruiting, then I have dirt cheap ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya. I still think we'll be ok, it's going to take time to rebuild a team in this situation-esp when you have to go out and try to fill your roster after everyone's been picking away at the cabinets. Plus, we will have someone in the backcourt who will be very vocal-and that's Marcus Evans. We could sure have used him this year for sure.
All we need is a big that can play D. They can protect the rim and that doesnt just watch as guys shoot layups after the primary defender is picked.

Reactions: FIREDUPRAMFAN