CMR v WW v SS v AG

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
And a case when a team has THREE head coach's in FOUR YEARS. If you don't think it isn't being used against us in recruiting, then I have dirt cheap ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya. I still think we'll be ok, it's going to take time to rebuild a team in this situation-esp when you have to go out and try to fill your roster after everyone's been picking away at the cabinets. Plus, we will have someone in the backcourt who will be very vocal-and that's Marcus Evans. We could sure have used him this year for sure.
Tell that to New Mexico State who had also had three coaches in for years who are sitting at 22-5.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Losing by 15, losing by 25. Both are ass whippings.
Sometimes losing by 8 is an ass whooping if you came from 20 down while the other team was at the hot dog stand. I don't feel any better about a L in a competitive game. They all suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK
Mar 6, 2016
Hey all, Dayton fan here. I come in peace.

It's been very interesting tracking our two programs this year. Put me in the camp that thinks Dayton and VCU will be assuming our rightful places at the top of the A10 sooner rather than later. Coaching changes are tough. You guys have had tremendous success over the last 8-10 years, and have withstood the numerous challenges that go along with a coaching change.

Here's why I think both VCU and Dayton will be fine (by "fine" I mean back near the top of the league standings, in position for an at-large NCAA bid most seasons): we both are programs, we both have tremendous fan support and facilities (at the top of the league without a doubt), and we both have the ability to get better recruits (due in large part to the reasons listed before this one).

I don't want to get too deep into the weeds comparing Rhoades and Grant - I think both are great guys, classy, great representatives for themselves and their institution. Coaching acumen, strategy, gameplanning, in-game adjustments... these are all going to be fine for both guys. A great coach can certainly make a difference, but in general, in the A10, the teams with the best players win. Look at the top two teams this year: Rhody has a bunch of seniors, some of them are 5th-year seniors, and they have an excellent collection of talent all across the board. I dislike Hurley, but respect their program, and there's no doubt they have the best talent in the league this year. Voila! They are in first place. I'd argue Bona has the second best talent. Adams and Mobley are seasoned, dynamic scorers. They have other pieces who are experienced guys, more physically and mentally mature, and they have put themselves back in position to be considered for an at-large.

Dayton had the 7th fewest returning minutes in D1, we have gotten about zero production from junior Xeyrius Williams (who had a back injury at the start of the year but now appears to just be in the doghouse). We also lost junior Ryan Mikesell to injury as he had surgeries on both hips and is out the whole year. Our junior PG John Crosby is a super nice guy by all accounts and a hard worker but is just not good enough - he's a turnover waiting to happen - three TOs was his only stat in his brief stint at our game @ the Stu last week. We have one senior and one junior (who is also coming off a a severe injury last year). We have one sophomore who played a total of 52 minutes last year, we start two freshman and that soph, and of course also lost our other junior-to-be Sam Miller in a well-publicized drunken bar/jail fight. Plus, we lost 4 seniors who were the winningest class in school history and also the winningest coach in recent history. And there's plenty of UD fans who are bitching and moaning about why aren't we better this year.

My point is not to hijack this thread and turn it into a UD discussion. But look at what you guys lost from last year! An absolute warrior in Mo Alie-Cox - an experienced BIG guy who rarely made mistakes and was an monster in the paint. JeQuan Lewis who was steady on offense, a pest on D, and could be counted on in big moments. Doug Brooks was your version of Tony Allen - a headache to play against, a motor that never stopped. Burgess was good. Samir Doughty was a guy UD really wanted, and he has potential, can make a big shot, create his own shot.

Your squad has some good talent remaining but they are really young. Santos-Silva is going to be a beast in the middle. Mobley has all kinds of BB IQ, great passing ability and he's a very good shooter for his size. Once he gets in better shape, look out. Jenkins has a lot of tools and I'm scared the light bulb is going to go off for him soon - I don't think he even realizes how good he can be - but of course he missed a lot of last season with injury and couldn't develop as much as you might have hoped. Marcus Evans by all accounts is going to be very good in the A10, and you guys are bringing in some more solid talent as well - I know UD really wanted Vince Williams. You never know about JuCo guys, but at least they come in physically mature.

So the pieces are there for both teams to get back on top of the league. Rhoades has been a good coach wherever he's been. Grant has been a good coach as well (you guys know this for sure). I was sad when Grant left VCU - I thought it was a bad career move for him at the time.

But besides the actual roster turnover, it takes time for a guy to build what he wants to build, even if he is continuing a lot of what the guy before him did. Y'all have been incredibly fortunate with how smooth things have gone from Capel to Grant to Smart to Wade, and have hit a hiccup here this year with the transition to Rhoades. But I think if you look at the rosters along the way, you'll find the answer there more than in the coach. Wade inherited a really good team and he did a really good job with it Smart inherited a really good team and did a great job with it. Grant inherited a good VCU squad as well. Rhoades inherited a roster that just lost Alie-Cox, Lewis, Doughty, Brooks, Burgess, Hamdy-Mohamed et al.

So anyway, to answer the question of why VCU (and Dayton) will be fine, it is because we both have some good (but young) players in the fold and we will be bringing more good players in the fold. This is not to say that Rhoades and Grant have no coaching weaknesses, but in the A10, if you have the best players, you're going to end up near the top of the conference.

I think next year, both Dayton and VCU will be back in the top 6 of the league and in 2019-20, we'll be battling for the top spot again. Hopefully my Flyers can beat your Rams on Senior Night to clinch the A10 regular season title again!

Our two proud programs will right the ships. I think both have the right guy at the helm.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014

It's been very interesting tracking our two programs this year. Put me in the camp that thinks Dayton and VCU will be assuming our rightful places at the top of the A10 sooner rather than later. Coaching changes are tough. You guys have had tremendous success over the last 8-10 years, and have withstood the numerous challenges that go along with a coaching change.

Here's why I think both VCU and Dayton will be fine (by "fine" I mean back near the top of the league standings, in position for an at-large NCAA bid most seasons): we both are programs, we both have tremendous fan support and facilities (at the top of the league without a doubt), and we both have the ability to get better recruits (due in large part to the reasons listed before this one).

I don't want to get too deep into the weeds comparing Rhoades and Grant - I think both are great guys, classy, great representatives for themselves and their institution. Coaching acumen, strategy, gameplanning, in-game adjustments... these are all going to be fine for both guys. A great coach can certainly make a difference, but in general, in the A10, the teams with the best players win. Look at the top two teams this year: Rhody has a bunch of seniors, some of them are 5th-year seniors, and they have an excellent collection of talent all across the board. I dislike Hurley, but respect their program, and there's no doubt they have the best talent in the league this year. Voila! They are in first place. I'd argue Bona has the second best talent. Adams and Mobley are seasoned, dynamic scorers. They have other pieces who are experienced guys, more physically and mentally mature, and they have put themselves back in position to be considered for an at-large.

Dayton had the 7th fewest returning minutes in D1, we have gotten about zero production from junior Xeyrius Williams (who had a back injury at the start of the year but now appears to just be in the doghouse). We also lost junior Ryan Mikesell to injury as he had surgeries on both hips and is out the whole year. Our junior PG John Crosby is a super nice guy by all accounts and a hard worker but is just not good enough - he's a turnover waiting to happen - three TOs was his only stat in his brief stint at our game @ the Stu last week. We have one senior and one junior (who is also coming off a a severe injury last year). We have one sophomore who played a total of 52 minutes last year, we start two freshman and that soph, and of course also lost our other junior-to-be Sam Miller in a well-publicized drunken bar/jail fight. Plus, we lost 4 seniors who were the winningest class in school history and also the winningest coach in recent history. And there's plenty of UD fans who are bitching and moaning about why aren't we better this year.

My point is not to hijack this thread and turn it into a UD discussion. But look at what you guys lost from last year! An absolute warrior in Mo Alie-Cox - an experienced BIG guy who rarely made mistakes and was an monster in the paint. JeQuan Lewis who was steady on offense, a pest on D, and could be counted on in big moments. Doug Brooks was your version of Tony Allen - a headache to play against, a motor that never stopped. Burgess was good. Samir Doughty was a guy UD really wanted, and he has potential, can make a big shot, create his own shot.

Your squad has some good talent remaining but they are really young. Santos-Silva is going to be a beast in the middle. Mobley has all kinds of BB IQ, great passing ability and he's a very good shooter for his size. Once he gets in better shape, look out. Jenkins has a lot of tools and I'm scared the light bulb is going to go off for him soon - I don't think he even realizes how good he can be - but of course he missed a lot of last season with injury and couldn't develop as much as you might have hoped. Marcus Evans by all accounts is going to be very good in the A10, and you guys are bringing in some more solid talent as well - I know UD really wanted Vince Williams. You never know about JuCo guys, but at least they come in physically mature.

So the pieces are there for both teams to get back on top of the league. Rhoades has been a good coach wherever he's been. Grant has been a good coach as well (you guys know this for sure). I was sad when Grant left VCU - I thought it was a bad career move for him at the time.

But besides the actual roster turnover, it takes time for a guy to build what he wants to build, even if he is continuing a lot of what the guy before him did. Y'all have been incredibly fortunate with how smooth things have gone from Capel to Grant to Smart to Wade, and have hit a hiccup here this year with the transition to Rhoades. But I think if you look at the rosters along the way, you'll find the answer there more than in the coach. Wade inherited a really good team and he did a really good job with it Smart inherited a really good team and did a great job with it. Grant inherited a good VCU squad as well. Rhoades inherited a roster that just lost Alie-Cox, Lewis, Doughty, Brooks, Burgess, Hamdy-Mohamed et al.

So anyway, to answer the question of why VCU (and Dayton) will be fine, it is because we both have some good (but young) players in the fold and we will be bringing more good players in the fold. This is not to say that Rhoades and Grant have no coaching weaknesses, but in the A10, if you have the best players, you're going to end up near the top of the conference.

I think next year, both Dayton and VCU will be back in the top 6 of the league and in 2019-20, we'll be battling for the top spot again. Hopefully my Flyers can beat your Rams on Senior Night to clinch the A10 regular season title again!

Our two proud programs will right the ships. I think both have the right guy at the helm.
Interesting to hear a respected opinion from the outside looking in.

And @SaintsRam , far and away the best thread posted in here in a good long while!

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Tell that to New Mexico State who had also had three coaches in for years who are sitting at 22-5.
I thought we put that apples to oranges comparison away a few weeks ago. New Mexico State has a team heavy on juniors and seniors. Their top 5 in scoring rebounding and assists are all juniors and seniors, with the exception of a redshirt sophomore who sat out last year after transferring from Ohio State. They play in one of the worst conferences in the country, the WAC, in which only two teams are better than 150 in the RPI. Stop with the bogus NMSU comparison.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
If we aren't fine then we will deal with that after 3 or 4 years. Mid February of a coach's first season just seems a little too soon to start jumping ship. I didn't come here to argue, but you can do your own research. Look at all of the other strong programs that have gone through changes the way we have. Sometimes they have a down year or two, but the cream usually rises to the top. I am more concerned about our fans than our players and coaches at this point. Many don't seem to be as dedicated as I thought they were.

Make sure you put the First 2 years in there..... remember when everyone started jumping ship around this time in Shaka's 2nd year? Just saying lol

Last edited:

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Reason I commented "go on" is because I've seen a slew of people say "we will be fine", but I've yet to hear any real reasoning as to why. No one backs it up.

I wanna hear someone lay out the argument as to why they think we'll be fine. What if we won't be? Plenty of coaches fail at their teams. Guys get fired every year. We've had a string of losing coaches to success, but I'm sure many of us on here can remember the opposite happening (I'm a proud alumni of Sonny Smith basketball camp, I'm old enough to remember how fine that worked out for us).

I'm just curious as to why people are so confident that we will in fact be fine. I don't mean that in a mean way, I just wanna hear some details.
I think this is a chemistry and talent issue. Every group of players are different and handle coaching changes differently. But when a successful coach (WW/ SS/ AG/ JP) who recruited you leaves (and other teammates/ recruits defect) and new coach arrives that you never met -it has to be a deflating and disruptive experience. We have seen chemistry issues after each coaching changes. This will get better as Corey and Marcus (2 people who believe in MR and chose to follow him) become integrated in the system. The chemistry will also improve as the current team bonds with the new coaching staff.
The talent issue is more troubling. We lost a lot of highly talented people in both recruits and transfers during this coaching change. We replaced them with the best available at the time. I stated before that you dont replace kids that are good enough to play for LSU, Texas, Auburn, UConn... with transfers from Longwood, Maine, Rice and JUCO. If you do, then these kids better do everything possible to get the absolute most out of their talent pool. I don't see this on this team. Our players aren't the fittest on the floor anymore. We look soft and out of shape. We have great haircuts, but we don't dive on the floor for loose balls anymore. And when we find ourselves in a 50/50 situation we usually end up on the losing side because the other team/ player wants it more.
I think the chemistry issue will work itself out. As we have a team of people that want to be here and play for MR, the coaches will whip them in better physical shape and get the intensity back. We have seen in the past that less talented but highly conditioned kids that dive for every loose ball and can run circles around their opponents can beat prima-donnas from the power conferences any day of the week. Good chemistry and highly conditioned, scrappy kids will get us to the top of the A10 with our current talent level. To get back on our prior trajectory, we will need more true talent as well. I think we can and will do this.

Last edited:

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Fantastic Post. Grounded in a lot of common sense. I have been thinking a lot, over the past few weeks, that there are quite a lot of similarities between what is happening at Dayton- and at VCU. The Programs are similar, as well. Great post. And yes- we are all very well aware that A-G can flat-out Coach. His / Your struggles this year should provide us with some hope, as to why things happen the way they do.

May 19, 2015
Reason I commented "go on" is because I've seen a slew of people say "we will be fine", but I've yet to hear any real reasoning as to why. No one backs it up.

I wanna hear someone lay out the argument as to why they think we'll be fine. What if we won't be? Plenty of coaches fail at their teams. Guys get fired every year. We've had a string of losing coaches to success, but I'm sure many of us on here can remember the opposite happening (I'm a proud alumni of Sonny Smith basketball camp, I'm old enough to remember how fine that worked out for us).

I'm just curious as to why people are so confident that we will in fact be fine. I don't mean that in a mean way, I just wanna hear some details.
It takes time and experience. Time will tell. However, based on experience with our BB program we have survived. No matter what challenges we have faced we seem to have the wherewithal to come out on top. So based on experience, we will be fine.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

I replied earlier with a half dozen reasons just off the top of my head.

May 19, 2015

Like times a billion. Thank you for your comments and sharing it with Ram Nation. Welcome. Just as you stated both teams will be back on top of the A10 where we belong. Peace my friend

Reactions: Doctor Bluff

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
They're also playing in a conference with Seattle, UT Rio Grande Valley, Missouri Kansas City and Chicago State, arguably the weakest Division 1 athletic program in the country (and inarguably once Savannah State moves to D2). All credit due to the current coach for maintaining, but it's absolutely not the same situation.

EDIT: Missed HBK's thoughts which further separate NMSU's deal from VCU's.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Mar 26, 2011
So, as of today:

CMR: 18-15 final record, probably no postseason
WW: 17-14 final record, probably NIT, but only because of LSU name.
SS: 19-14, still in their tourney, possible NCAA, but losing conference record.
AG: 14-17

Not bad.