CMR v WW v SS v AG

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Well the NCAA calls Dayton games the first round now and the first weekend the second round.
Problem is that the folks waiting for the 68 guys still have to win 6 to win it all. Now we have the distinction of being the ONE and ONLY team to ever win 5 games in The Dance and NOT be in the final. The only one ever and likely ever again. Think about this a bit more. We did something that no NCAA squad has ever done before. Happily we won't ever have to do it again starting next year.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Problem is that the folks waiting for the 68 guys still have to win 6 to win it all. Now we have the distinction of being the ONE and ONLY team to ever win 5 games in The Dance and NOT be in the final. The only one ever and likely ever again. Think about this a bit more. We did something that no NCAA squad has ever done before. Happily we won't ever have to do it again starting next year.
I doubt it happens again for real. No other team had done it before because 2011 was the first year of the play in games.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
LOL. You never miss one and that's what I love about you. I'll wager my annual salary that no other squad ever does it again.
I have part-timers. I remember weird stuff and forget what I had for lunch today. Our run sold it to the NCAA and the country as a legit idea, I know that. The chances of it happening again can be checked Monday in Vegas.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
One of the big differences between Mike and Will that I haven’t seen mentioned in the thread is this: Will made decisions to win now, with no thought to the future because he knew he was going to be short-term. Mike is doing everything with an eye toward the future and sustainable success for VCU. That is a major difference in philosophy.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
One of the big differences between Mike and Will that I haven’t seen mentioned in the thread is this: Will made decisions to win now, with no thought to the future because he knew he was going to be short-term. Mike is doing everything with an eye toward the future and sustainable success for VCU. That is a major difference in philosophy.
I totally agree. I might have one question about that tho.... which is how he used / played our Freshmen this year. Yes- I wanted to win. But I thought Maye and MSS should have played more. 4-6 more mpg for each... and I doubt would have had little, if any consequence on how our Season turned out. If we are not a Tourney Team... then I would always rather lose with Freshmen and Sophomores.... then 5th Year Grad Transfers, and the like. That was my only issue.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
It was allways about balance, trying to win vs. giving time to players. Coaches did what they did and we can second guess but what do we know.

That’s my bottom line w/o getting into the hashed, rehashed, and to be hashed bits.

Reactions: RamBo

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
It was allways about balance, trying to win vs. giving time to players. Coaches did what they did and we can second guess but what do we know.

That’s my bottom line w/o getting into the hashed, rehashed, and to be hashed bits.
I hear you. Agreed. It's a difficult balance.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Anyone watching Houston right now.... totally hangin' with Cincy? Another great example of what can happen.... if you give a Coach a chance to get things in place.