Coaching and turnovers: Part II

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Two great keys to the VCU v SLU beautiful win, IMO:

Turnovers - That's the obvious one. Just 7 turnovers from a team that played freshmen tonight like we were Kentucky or Duke or someone. Sensational (and SLU is a top-50 defense ta boot).

Coaching - I just can not fathom how our coaches pulled this off the way they did, finding the pieces to make up for a depleted backcourt that had no Bones, Curry or Clarke. Jamir Watkins at the 2 to start the game!?! Loved it. Hi Gibson Jimerson, meet Jamir. He's the 6'7 athlete who will be defending you tonight. And riding the hot hand of....::checks notes:: ...JOSH BANKS!?!?!? I loved that. Forget that Josh hasn't played much, he came out with confidence and PLAYED GREAT ...and regardless of his experiences, the coaches stayed with him late in the game in crucial times. I just wish this wasn't COVID times so he could go to a post-game party and enjoy being a star athlete, maybe meet a friend or two and talk about the night.

And don't get me started on coming out in some zone defense. Travis Ford probably thought he was drunk when he saw that on the court.

Overall this had to be my favorite win of the season (even more so than the Dayton blowout).

I'll definitely say what I think if I big time disagree, but I'm fair, so I'm here to say the coaches did a great job tonight and the team played great. Well done.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Two great keys to the VCU v SLU beautiful win, IMO:

Turnovers - That's the obvious one. Just 7 turnovers from a team that played freshmen tonight like we were Kentucky or Duke or someone. Sensational (and SLU is a top-50 defense ta boot).

Coaching - I just can not fathom how our coaches pulled this off the way they did, finding the pieces to make up for a depleted backcourt that had no Bones, Curry or Clarke. Jamir Watkins at the 2 to start the game!?! Loved it. Hi Gibson Jimerson, meet Jamir. He's the 6'7 athlete who will be defending you tonight. And riding the hot hand of....::checks notes:: ...JOSH BANKS!?!?!? I loved that. Forget that Josh hasn't played much, he came out with confidence and PLAYED GREAT ...and regardless of his experiences, the coaches stayed with him late in the game in crucial times. I just wish this wasn't COVID times so he could go to a post-game party and enjoy being a star athlete, maybe meet a friend or two and talk about the night.

And don't get me started on coming out in some zone defense. Travis Ford probably thought he was drunk when he saw that on the court.

Overall this had to be my favorite win of the season (even more so than the Dayton blowout).

I'll definitely say what I think if I big time disagree, but I'm fair, so I'm here to say the coaches did a great job tonight and the team played great. Well done.
Respect