Coaching and turnovers

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Two beyond brutal keys to the VCU v Mason debacle, IMO:

Turnovers - That's the obvious one. 19 turnovers, most of which were just completely unforced.

Coaching - I just can not fathom why our coaches went in the direction they did, not using Hason AND Corey together for large chunks to today's game.

Corey getting 12 minutes today is just beyond puzzling to me. Mason is a bad three-point shooting team, but shot 54.8% inside the arc against us, 6.2% better than their season average. We had our second best rim protector chilling on the bench. Mason does one thing well: rebound. So what do we do? We bench of one of our best rebounders and rim protectors and get out-rebounded by 17!!! and have to watch Josh Oduro score a career-high 26 on us.

I hear coach talk about K.Y.P. (know your personnel) all the time, yet we configure the best possible lineup for a mediocre George Mason team to go against today, all but handing over an A-10 regular season title. I just can not understand how this wasn't so obvious to our staff. Corey led our team with a +8 box plus/minus while on the court. I just sat there the entire second half wondering how this small roster adjustment wasn't beyond brutally obvious to our staff. Just an absolute miss/blunder by them today IMO.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The last two games we have had a post player kill us..Cayo with 18 and 26 for the mason kid who was averaging 7

rebounding was a complete embarrassment

Reactions: RamStrut

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ohhh a thread on coaching. I’ve been burned for bringing it up, even though I really like Rhoades and the staff. I’m curious how this will go.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016

Turnovers - That's the obvious one. 19 turnovers, most of which were just completely unforced.

Coaching - I just can not fathom why our coaches went in the direction they did, not using Hason AND Corey together for large chunks to today's game.

Corey getting 12 minutes today is just beyond puzzling to me. Mason is a bad three-point shooting team, but shot 54.8% inside the arc against us, 6.2% better than their season average. We had our second best rim protector chilling on the bench. Mason does one thing well: rebound. So what do we do? We bench of one of our best rebounders and rim protectors and get out-rebounded by 17!!! and have to watch Josh Oduro score a career-high 26 on us.

I hear coach talk about K.Y.P. (know your personnel) all the time, yet we configure the best possible lineup for a mediocre George Mason team to go against today, all but handing over an A-10 regular season title. I just can not understand how this wasn't so obvious to our staff. Corey led our team with a +8 box plus/minus while on the court. I just sat there the entire second half wondering how this small roster adjustment wasn't beyond brutally obvious to our staff. Just an absolute miss/blunder by them today IMO.
My husband was sceaming at the TV about the small line up.

Reactions: RamStrut and Natty

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
It only rattled us the first few trips, and those turnovers were tired, lazy turnovers. It happens.
When we did get across half court we had no time to get into our offense...it might have only been a few times but it turned a 9 point lead into a two point game. It was the turning point

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

The turnovers are mostly gimmes. It is sad.

I just stared at the screen blankly when it came to the combos. I stated if on that front court thread the other day, Mason's only strength is their physical bigs. I did not understand playing Curry as much as Stockard and much more than Douglas. Plays right into their hands. If he goes with smaller line ups against SLU it will be a blood bath.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
When we did get across half court we had no time to get into our offense...it might have only been a few times but it turned a 9 point lead into a two point game. It was the turning point
Well, when we did get across half court, we had 21 of 30 seconds to run offense. Again, we are just tired. We lacked energy and intensity from the jump. That showed most in the rebounding. We were flat-footed, which is a sign of fatigue.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The turnovers are mostly gimmes. It is sad.

I just stared at the screen blankly when it came to the combos. I stated if on that front court thread the other day, Mason's only strength is their physical bigs. I did not understand playing Curry as much as Stockard and much more than Douglas. Plays right into their hands. If he goes with smaller line ups against SLU it will be a blood bath.
We could get no rebounds against St. Louis

• Wow
Reactions: SWV

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Well, when we did get across half court, we had 21 of 30 seconds to run offense. Again, we are just tired. We lacked energy and intensity from the jump. That showed most in the rebounding. We were flat-footed, which is a sign of fatigue.
You called it before the game even started. 😒