Coaching and turnovers

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Let me ask you this then since you say this was a layup. Would you take this win vs Mason as we were supposed to win this one but then take losses to UR, Bonnies 2nd game, Utah State, Dayton, etc. (Teams at the start of the season we weren't supposed to beat?)? Rhoades is doing a heck of a job. The fact that we are even in position in late February to even be in the NCAAT discussion is remarkable with such a young team who came in about 300th in the NCAA in experience. heck of a job by coach. I'll take a mason hiccup and be in the position we are in than the alternative of where we were projected. Rhoades tried to counteract their front court presence with athleticism and speed, Douglas is still recovering from injury and on limited minutes. It didn't work today but overall he's doing a fine job.
This is a fair question and it crossed my mind as well.
Emotionally - prefer beating UR at home
Statistically - prefer not to lose to GMU at home
In any game - prefer to see a consistent effort level vs all teams, regardless of the outcome. This was not the case yesterday.

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
GW beat Rhode Island.
I’m not really dying to have to play James Bishop and Jamison Battle anytime soon.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
GW beat Rhode Island.
I’m not really dying to have to play James Bishop and Jamison Battle anytime soon.
GW is a team I’ll be interested to watch this week. If all the scheduled and only the scheduled games are played through Monday 3/1, then GW would be below the mean average of conference games played. My understanding is that would regulate them to the 14 seed (if all A10 teams play and Fordham is a question mark).

The reason why they interest me is that they can just go out and ball, because they don’t really have seeding to play for. They have shooters. I don’t think they can win 3 games in 3 days in RVA, but they could be a team that could upset one or two teams.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
GW is a team I’ll be interested to watch this week. If all the scheduled and only the scheduled games are played through Monday 3/1, then GW would be below the mean average of conference games played. My understanding is that would regulate them to the 14 seed (if all A10 teams play and Fordham is a question mark).

The reason why they interest me is that they can just go out and ball, because they don’t really have seeding to play for. They have shooters. I don’t think they can win 3 games in 3 days in RVA, but they could be a team that could upset one or two teams.

For me, the team to watch this last week, and also in the early rounds of the A-10 Tournament, is St. Joe's. They are a different team with Ryan Daly back in the lineup. The guy returned to action yesterday for the first time since December 21st, and dropped 30 on La Salle.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
For me, the team to watch this last week, and also in the early rounds of the A-10 Tournament, is St. Joe's. They are a different team with Ryan Daly back in the lineup. The guy returned to action yesterday for the first time since December 21st, and dropped 30 on La Salle.
Another good point. St Joes and GW are two teams I could see winning a pillow fight game and then giving a 5 or 6 seed a lot of trouble.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Let me ask you this then since you say this was a layup. Would you take this win vs Mason as we were supposed to win this one but then take losses to UR, Bonnies 2nd game, Utah State, Dayton, etc. (Teams at the start of the season we weren't supposed to beat?)? Rhoades is doing a heck of a job. The fact that we are even in position in late February to even be in the NCAAT discussion is remarkable with such a young team who came in about 300th in the NCAA in experience. heck of a job by coach. I'll take a mason hiccup and be in the position we are in than the alternative of where we were projected. Rhoades tried to counteract their front court presence with athleticism and speed, Douglas is still recovering from injury and on limited minutes. It didn't work today but overall he's doing a fine job.
I am delighted we won those games and give him mad praise for those wins! If we lost to UR, SLU or Davidson I would deal with it differently than if we lost to GMU. We are a better team. We were at home and it is 3 weeks before selection Sunday. Thanks to MR we are in serious contention for an at large berth. But this is an easier game we should win. We know they can be dangerous. The point of my OP in this thread was the coaches decision not to go with a bigger line up when we were losing the battle in the paint. I didn't know it was injury related nor did I notice that stated in Natty's original post. But i stand by my assertion that we need to win the easier games at this point in the season.

I didn't enjoy taking a bit of my post and sarcastically replying that I guess I won't be happy unless he wins COY every year. I do not reply to other posts like that and do not understand why people are so quick to attack other fans.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Yesterday sucked, there is no way to get around it. Winning teams are not *supposed* to lose to bad teams, but poop happens.

But..... referring to a game vs Mason as a “layup” does NOT make a ton of sense to me. I don’t know you personally, but you aren’t giving me much belief that you have experience with team sports. There are 14 teams in our conference who’s goal before the game starts is to win. Mason is NOT a better team than VCU by any metric, but they do have 10+ Division 1 level men’s basketball players on their roster who would like to win the game they are playing in.

Again, yesterday sucked and I’m still pissed. But this is Division 1 Men’s Basketball in a Top 10 conference. We aren’t given wins in this league.
I do not have much experience in team sports. I liked them, but was never successful at them so I chose sports like track where I could have greater control over my success. I see where you are a coach and most likely you got a lot further in team sports than myself. Maybe that's where the difference lies. I viewed this as a win we let get away and I never let myself off the hook athletically or professionally when I would lose at things I should have won. As a runner, I had more control over outcomes than a coach of a bball team. But regardless, I don't mind debate or differing views, but I will fight back if my posts are sarcastically replied to and my intelligence is insulted.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I do not have much experience in team sports. I liked them, but was never successful at them so I chose sports like track where I could have greater control over my success. I see where you are a coach and most likely you got a lot further in team sports than myself. Maybe that's where the difference lies. I viewed this as a win we let get away and I never let myself off the hook athletically or professionally when I would lose at things I should have won. As a runner, I had more control over outcomes than a coach of a bball team. But regardless, I don't mind debate or differing views, but I will fight back if my posts are sarcastically replied to and my intelligence is insulted.
You make a lot of valid points. I just don’t like calling a conference foe a “layup” because they compete to win just like us. I would agree that it was a “win we let get away” because we led by 13 in the second half and didn’t finish the job.

My apologies for coming off as a jacka$$, I’m pissed like all of us.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
This is a fair question and it crossed my mind as well.
Emotionally - prefer beating UR at home
Statistically - prefer not to lose to GMU at home
In any game - prefer to see a consistent effort level vs all teams, regardless of the outcome. This was not the case yesterday.
I definitely agree the effort was down yesterday. Hope we don't see that again. I think that'll get sorted out.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
There’s a lot of potential spoilers in play for the A10 tournament. I think St. Joe’s and GW could definitely bump a higher seed out of it early.

Reactions: RamStrut

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
I am delighted we won those games and give him mad praise for those wins! If we lost to UR, SLU or Davidson I would deal with it differently than if we lost to GMU. We are a better team. We were at home and it is 3 weeks before selection Sunday. Thanks to MR we are in serious contention for an at large berth. But this is an easier game we should win. We know they can be dangerous. The point of my OP in this thread was the coaches decision not to go with a bigger line up when we were losing the battle in the paint. I didn't know it was injury related nor did I notice that stated in Natty's original post. But i stand by my assertion that we need to win the easier games at this point in the season.

I didn't enjoy taking a bit of my post and sarcastically replying that I guess I won't be happy unless he wins COY every year. I do not reply to other posts like that and do not understand why people are so quick to attack other fans.
I certainly respect that. I know you weren't saying you'd only be happy with COY every year. I agree that it sucks losing to a not so great Mason team. There's certainly some common ground. I just wanted to pump the breaks a bit on the MR blame (something I've been very guilty of myself after the the first St. Bonnies game). I respect your opinion.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
You make a lot of valid points. I just don’t like calling a conference foe a “layup” because they compete to win just like us. I would agree that it was a “win we let get away” because we led by 13 in the second half and didn’t finish the job.

My apologies for coming off as a jacka$$, I’m pissed like all of us.
This is a good point. With each passing season, the parity of D1 basketball gets greater. The talent level comparisons of teams gets slimmer and slimmer. Any D1 team can catch another one slipping on an off night. We play Mason 10 times, we probably beat them 7, 8, or 9 times. They caught us on that one game. They caught a team coming off an emotional rival game that looked passive. They took advantage and I have to tip my hat to them no matter how gross it makes me feel. Hope we learn that we need to come out fired up and focused each game.

Reactions: Ramaholic
May 4, 2012
I wanted to be wrong, but there were signs of fatigue on Wednesday against UR. Mason was well-rested, and after 3 weeks of high level, intense games, it is hard to get up for a middling team like Mason.
Its not a matter of getting up for Madon its a matter of securing a top four finish.
The coach should be making that dustinction quite clear.
They looked past this game pure and simple. Mason did not.